FIAT 500 - Fait 500 clutch problem - ImNotTheMan

My wife bought a Fiat 500 from a local car sales and servicing outlet in April 2012, 1.2 litre petrol with 7900 miles on the clock, one previous owner, in apparent good condition, with a 1 year third party insurer warranty. In October after driving the car for less than a 1000 miles the clutch failed in a cloud of smoke from under the bonnet. The AA returned it to the seller's servcing department and the clutch assembly was changed out under warranty. Got the car back and drove it myself for most of the time until 3 weeks later having covered only 43 miles, the clutch failed again, AA took it back to the seller again who advised that the warranty insurer wouldn't pay for a second clutch but we'd no choice but pay for it to be replaced. My wife is now uncomfortable about driving the car and within a couple of weeks there was another cloud of smoke from under the bonnet accompanied by that distinctive brake/clutch burning smell. Neither my wife or I 'ride' the clutch, I've 40 years driving experience and have never had a clutch burn out in any of the cars, trucks or vans I've driven or owned. I don't know how bad a driver you'd have to be to burn out a new clutch in 43 miles.

I now don't know what our next move should be. The clutch hasn't failed yet but the symptoms are the same and it looks inevitable that it'll fail sooner rather than later. The power steering warning light has also just come on when starting the engine but I wouldn't expect this to be related to the clutch issue. After the failure of the replacement I would have expected the garage to be looking for some other problem contributing to the failure. They claim to have returned replacement clutch number 1 to the manufacturer for a lab report but we haven't received any information yet.

Has anyone experienced similar problems with a Fiat 500 or any other car which could cause these failures and does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed? We live in a rural area with little choice of servicing options and breaking down on the road involves at least a 2 hour wait for the AA to arrive.

Thanks.

FIAT 500 - Fait 500 clutch problem - Oli rag

It's very strange for this to happen twice in such a short time. Does the clutch feel like it engages fully, without any slip?

Is there not a chance that your wife has inadvertently been trying to pull away in 3rd or 5th when the clouds of smoke appear?

A clutch can take a lot of abuse before it gets so hot and worn that it fails completely.

All of the above assumes that the clutch is operating correctly of course, there is maybe a small chance that the pressure plate is not clamping the friction plate to the flywheel fully, perhaps the assembly is not free to move on the input shaft splines for whatever reason.

I can't really think of any other reasons for failure.

FIAT 500 - Fiat 500 clutch problem - ImNotTheMan

Thanks for your reply.

This is definitley not down to anybody's bad driving habits, my wife is a fairly defensive driver & wouldn't slip the clutch to pull away in too high a gear, I've been driving for 40 years+ & have held a Full LGV licence since it was called an HGV Class1. The 43 miles driven between clutches was split almost equally between us, with half my wife's journeys made while I was in the car as well.

I've come to the same conclusion as you have hinted at, that something has happened pror to the 1st clutch replacement which is stopping the plates from fully engaging, even with the pedal at the top of it's travel. The only problem I seem to have is convincing the garage who repaired it, as they're almost implying that it's driver error & of course that's one of the possibilities, as you pointed out.

Out here in the sticks there aren't many alternative choices for servicing or repairs, almost all those little village garages have gone the way of the village shop, unable to compete with the big guys & unable to continue selling fuel to subsidise the garage business.

FIAT 500 - Fiat 500 clutch problem - Oli rag

I had another thought, I don't know whether your clutch is cable or hydraulic, but a cable could certainly stop the clutch from engaging fully, either by a lack of free play, or by it being frayed. It's also possible but unlikely, that a fault in either the master cylinder or slave cylinder could give the problem. There's also a smaller chance that a kink or restriction of fluid flow through the pipes or hoses could be at fault.

I'd be very reluctant to have another clutch fitted without a "fine tooth comb" approach ,as I suspect, it will go the same way as the last 2.

An independent engineers assessment may be a better idea, but I've no doubt that's expensive and time consuming when you need transport.

Best of luck!

FIAT 500 - Fait 500 clutch problem - Janet p

Purchased a new fiat 500 in may 2012 clutch went after 127 miles. The Dealer, day's in Lansamlet Swansea replaced clutch under warranty and suggested that it was the way the car was being driven that had caused the problem (riding the clutch) they even offered to come out in the car with me and show me how to drive it correctly, I am 88 and have been driving for 40+ years I had my last car (Nissan) for 15 years never had a problem with it. Had the car back, and I made sure when I drove it that my foot was not resting on the clutch or riding the clutch, and if any family members drove the car they were told to do the same. The car is now in the dealership again, the clutch and flywheel need replacing at a cost of £800. They told me its not covered under the warranty. The car has only done 945 miles. Day's suggested once again that it was the way the car had been driven, and when I asked them if there could be another cause the service engerneer didn't know. I am at present getting advice about this matter and will update this Site when I know more.

FIAT 500 - Fait 500 clutch problem - Dorset123

I work in a dealer and have seen clutches worn out in 100 miles the only cause is the way the car is driven. We had a customer that burnt out the first clutch in 1400 miles the second one in 130 miles then they had one of our loan cars and burnt that out in 15 miles.

I went out with this customer and watched how he was driving and he never released the clutch after I explained the problem the car hasn't been back again with a failed clutch !

FIAT 500 - Fait 500 clutch problem - gordonbennet

Some cars are too easy to stall because their engines lack low down torque, if you have to use excessive throttle and slip the clutch consistently every time you pull away to prevent stalling then early clutch failure will inevitably result.

Another problem is the too high first and reverse gears of some vehicles of all descriptions.

Its worth test driving cars properly instead of being directed into going their short easy route designed to show the car in its best light.

FIAT 500 - Fait 500 clutch problem - yosser
We have a new fiat 500 Automatic 2013 it broke down took it back to fiat they said it was the clutch got it back a few days a go its now back in fiat with the same problem