Fred Hill - Toad, of Toad Hall.
I heard of this character for the first time at Christmas:

www.mag-uk.org/about/history/fred_hill.html

Seems a bit harsh that he had to die in jail.

Apparently he obeyed the law until he found out the law wasn't applied equally to those of all religions.

I tend to wear my helmet in the UK but once have a blast without on Tenerife which was very pleasent.

--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Fred Hill - Graham
Oh yes I remember Fred. I think he was in MCN every week!
Fred Hill - Dwight Van Driver
But there again Toad, Fred and his ilk never attended an RTA where a bikers brains were splattred on the road, or head injured to such an extent that a favourite son became a cabbage for the rest of his natural.

More about today because they wore a helmet.

DVD
But there again Toad, Fred and his ilk never attended an
RTA where a bikers brains were splattred on the road, or
head injured to such an extent that a favourite son became
a cabbage for the rest of his natural.
More about today because they wore a helmet.

The fact that the president of the USA 'bikers against helmets campaign' died of head injuries following a bike crash speaks volumes.

I'm aware of both sides of the argument (risk compensation offsetting the benefit of helmets) and still happily wear my helmet; still would if the law didn't force me to. (Perhaps except a solitary country jaunt in the summer...)

He was a character and the state was a little harsh.

On the subject of characters the last WW1 fighter pilot has just died.

On a separate psuedo legal note: If you steal a mobile you get 5 years prison. If you burgle a house you go free.

What happens if you steal a mobile in a burglary? Would the judge oscillate? ;-)
--
Fred Hill - Slice
>What happens if you steal a mobile in a burglary? Would the judge oscillate? ;-)

Could this be a way of generating perpetual motion - a bit like the one involving cats and hot buttered toast?
Fred Hill - Graham
Up until a couple of years ago I used a bike every day to get to work. In weather like this it was such a pain to "get dressed" I used to do it at my desk. I had to be VERY carefull walking out of the office as the helmet really limits your hearing and sight. I wonder how many are killed because of the helmets.
Or wasps in helmets; or the wingnut effect or steamed up.

I bet quite a few are killed by helmets, and quite a few are saved. I suspect the balance is in favour of wearing a helmet and I always will.
--
Fred Hill - Tom Shaw
Surely the whole point of the helmet debate is that if you crash without wearing one then the only person you will kill or injure is yourself? If you choose to wear one, as I always have, then lack of a law making them compulsory will not prevent you from doing so.

Why are we so scared of freedom of choice?

Fred Hill - BrianW
Why are we so scared of freedom of choice?

Who's "we" Tom?

I'm not scared of making my own choices and living with the consequences.
But the Government seems to be scared of giving us that freedom.
Is it that they are scared that we may get the freedom to reject them?
Fred Hill - Tom Shaw
No dispute on that argument, Brian.
Fred Hill - J Bonington Jagworth
Me neither. Remember the 'Freedom of Information' that the government was so much in favour of before they came to office? Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely...
Fred Hill - J Bonington Jagworth
BTW, I remember Fred, too. I note that the "..prison governor had warned Fred that the harsh prison environment could be the death of him" yet the subsequent enquiry "..concluded that Fred's prison experience had not contributed toward his death". Well, there's a surprise...