complaint from comuscomp - Avant

Like everything else to do with Microsoft, IE works when it feels like it. I access this forum via Google Chrome, which works much more reliably.

complaint from comuscomp - Bobbin Threadbare

I have no probs using Firefox.

complaint from comuscomp - Collos25

The only site I have problems with irespective of whether I use Opera,Firefox or Explorer is the HJ site I have talked with our IT people and they seem to think that there is something wrong with this particular site. Not being able to post messages even though it appears to have been accepted only putting a part of the message, we have access to the latest computers and many different types of internet access but the problems are always there.

I think the problem lies with the infrastructure used by the HJ site server and perhaps its geographical position in relation to the poster.

complaint from comuscomp - Jase

I knew it wasn't just me!

Have to say I too have posted quite a few posts with one or two words and the rest have been lost, or press the "Post message" button and the text is simply lost.

I paste it into Notepad now just in case it disappears so I can try again!

I find tabbing into the Message text box from the Subject text box and then pressing a single carriage return so that the reply starts on the 2nd line seems to work reliably for me.

Am using IE9 on Win7, but IE9 on Vista also suffers.

It's all very fashionable mocking IEx, but the vast majority of the users in the World use IE, so the site should be bombproof for that browser. There's definitely a bug in the site.
complaint from comuscomp - TeeCee

The only problem with IE around here is that the HTML being served to IE seems to be formed for the obsolete 6 and 7 versions. This forces the use of compatibility mode (basically the 6 engine) on 8 and 9, losing all the advantages of the more modern versions. Try to run 8 or 9 in vanilla mode (they expect good old W3C standard HTML) and it just fails dismally, so IE users are definately being a fed a diet of crud.

Guess what? IE 6 is rubbish, but we knew that anyway. Forcing the later versions to replicate it and all its foibles and then blaming MS for the results is just carp.

There are two better approaches. If you really must support 6 and 7 (For the love of God - WHY?), point some vanilla HTML 4 at 8 and 9 and reserve the rubbish for the versions used by Noah. The best approach is to can support for anything prior to 8 and just offer a page of upgrade links when the earlier version strings are detected.

complaint from comuscomp - Collos25

Its funny we use IE all over the world on site with dongles in fixed wire offices through firewalls and from umpteen providers and have absolutely no problems except the HJ site.If we are being fed a diet of crud as you say may I suggest your system is faulty or not upto spec because ours is perfect.

complaint from comuscomp - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Well, TeeCee, your three paragraphs verify what I've always thought--- It takes very commited computer knowledge to work Microsoft Windows and IE. At my age, I use Ubuntu Linux and Firefox. It works, it's easy and it's free!