Petrol smell... - Mash
I have a 2002 2.3 petrol Ford Galaxy which emits strong smell of petrol after being driven for a while which comes from:
1) the fuel cap area.
2) comes in through the drivers and passenger front windows whilst driving at moderate speeds.

Not sure if point 2) is due to fumes being brought forward from fuel cap due to aerodynamic turbulence or whether there are two sources of leaks. However cannot smell petrol from under the bonnet/engine area when stationary.

My question is should the petrol cap give a hiss when un-doing to fill-up? and should the petrol cap be sealed, have a vacuum check valve or be vented? Does anyone know for sure either of these points ?

FYI
The EVAP system o the Galaxy consists of charcoal canister under front O/S wing with vapour connection to fuel tank and purge valve. Normally an evaporative emission control system uses a sealed tank cap and vents the tank via the charcoal canister, however the fuel cap looks too 'fancy' to be a simple closed seal type.

Petrol smell... - simonsmith473©
If the petrol cap hisses when you undo it then the breather hoses are blocked. A friend of mine had this problem and when he unblocked the hose the fuel smell went away. This was on an older car but i think its worth looking at.