Citroen Dispatch 2001 1.9d non turbo - Engine won't start after major oil filter leak - jwilde555

Hi,

I bought a dispatch van yesterday and the seller advised me that it needed a new oil filter, after driving 110 miles back home all was fine, the van was firing up great and driving well.

Today I reached 12 miles from home and the engine started to cut out on some steep hills, around 4 miles later it completely cut out. There was a lot of oil on the engine near the filter and all over the underside of the sump, side of alternator and surrounding area. I checked the dipstick and it looked almost empty. After being towed home I changed the oil and filter, nothing seems to be leaking but the van still won't start up. The glow plug light comes on and goes off as it should but the red stop and orange oil lights are still on, the engine turns as normal but doesn't fire up.

Is there anyone with experience that can give any advice here?

I can't afford to take it to a mechanic after the £217 AA bill today!!

Many thanks

Jamie

Citroen Dispatch 2001 1.9d non turbo - Engine won't start after major oil filter leak - Peter.N.

I didn't think it had a low oil pressure immobiliser but if it does that would account for the problem. If the engine is turning over OK the oil pressure light should go out after a few seconds of turning the starter, if it doesn't its possible that the engine has been damaged.

If it does the engine is OK and I would suspect a fault in the fuel system, possibly air ingress, try pumping the primer bulb until it goes hard and see if it starts.

The only other thing I can think of is that the oil has found its way onto the cam belt and it has slipped and put the timing out.

Peter

Citroen Dispatch 2001 1.9d non turbo - Engine won't start after major oil filter leak - jwilde555

Thanks for you reply peter.

I hope it isn't any serious engine damage!! The oil light doesn't go out and based on what you're saying I suspect it could be more complicated than I had hoped.

I've joined the RAC online, I'll get them out to my home tomorrow and try and get a diagnosis.

Citroen Dispatch 2001 1.9d non turbo - Engine won't start after major oil filter leak - gordonbennet

''I bought a dispatch van yesterday and the seller advised me that it needed a new oil filter''

This sounds like one of those cases where 'the aircon only needs regassing'.

For the sake of a £7 oil filter?, i don't think so, sorry but if a seller had said that to me he would have been blinded by the dust following my sharp exit.

Citroen Dispatch 2001 1.9d non turbo - Engine won't start after major oil filter leak - andyp

"I bought a dispatch van yesterday and the seller advised me that it needed a new oil filter,"

I suppose it depends on whether he was saying that it was just due to be changed or that it was faulty & was leaking.

Citroen Dispatch 2001 1.9d non turbo - Engine won't start after major oil filter leak - bathtub tom

"I bought a dispatch van yesterday and the seller advised me that it needed a new oil filter,"

I suppose it depends on whether he was saying that it was just due to be changed or that it was faulty & was leaking.

Or he could've been lying through his teeth and knowing it had a major problem used it as an excuse.

Citroen Dispatch 2001 1.9d non turbo - Engine won't start after major oil filter leak - Oli rag

I think I'd have changed the oil filter before attempting any kind of journey.

What did the owner mean by it needing a new filter, rusty, leaking, clogged?

He said it had been leaking.....for a while!!!

Yes this is true! Hopefully he's not a lying snake and after all this it's just the filter.

I have now changed the filter myself and filled up with new oil, nothing is leaking.

Is there still a chance the leak could have been more serious than the filter?

I haven't yet had the engine running, I'm guessing once it's running and oil is circulating there's still a risk of a more sinister leak emerging again.

Lets just just say I'm not shy about taking a risk!

It drove 110 miles back home no problem, I made a fatal error not to change the oil filter once I got home.