Ford Focus - Rejecting a car after it developed a bad odour? - GavoTheSane

Hi,

I purchased a used Focus (58 plate) from a main dealer at the end of October 2011, and recently it's started smelling of smoke, neither me or my partner smoke or anyone we know smokes, and we don't let anyone in the car who smokes, so it must have been the previous owner, and the dealership tried to cover it up with some odour eliminator or something. If I'd smelt it when I went to buy it, I would have instantly rejected the car!

The bumper's paint has started peeling, and I just found out it's had a respray on the bonnet and the front bumper.

Is this good grounds for rejecting the car? You just can't get rid of smoke odour from vehicles, and now it's getting sunny it's terrible.

Thanks

Gavin

Ford Focus - Rejecting a car after it developed a bad odour? - tony g
Hi gav ,sorry you don't have sufficient reason to reject the car ,the odour and the paint peeling don't prevent the car from being fit for purpose .In other words the car can do what it was sold to do .

The only way you could have any possible claim against the dealer is if he specifically said that the car had not been smoked in .Even that probably wouldn't help as its 6 months since you bought the car .

The best way to improve your enjoyment of the car ,is to have it professionally valeted .It will cost you about £100 to have it done properly .

Find a valeting company that's willing to take all the seats out of the car .Then have the car and the seats plus the headlining cleaned with a wet shampoo . The car should then be cleaned with an industrial wet and dry vac .Before the fabrics are fully dry a commercial deodiser needs to be applied . This usually stops the car smelling .The process is expensive because it takes all day ,plus a couple of days to dry completely .If you live in west Yorkshire let me know and I can have my valeter do it for you .

With regard to the bumper ,it costs about £150 to have a bumper painted .

Hope you manage to sort it out

Regards

Tony g
Ford Focus - Rejecting a car after it developed a bad odour? - GavoTheSane

The dealer has now agreed to repaint the bumper, and they're going to valet the car.

Ford Focus - Rejecting a car after it developed a bad odour? - tony g
Exceptional service from the dealer ,nice to hear especially when he hear so many complaints about car dealers .
Ford Focus - Rejecting a car after it developed a bad odour? - thegmart05
To eliminate milk odours, place a jam jar of vinegar in the car overnight.
Remove the next day , the strong smell of vinegar dissipates quickly along with the awful milk smell. Has worked twice for me.
Ford Focus - Rejecting a car after it developed a bad odour? - Sasha4

Hi Tony G

I have a bad odour in my car.

Milk has been spilt and the smell is horrendous.

I have had the car valeted, but no joy.

I saw your reply about moving seats to get rid of the odour and that you knew a valet service in west yorkshire who could help.

Would you be able to send me the details of this car valeting service please?

Many thanks

S xxxx

Ford Focus - Rejecting a car after it developed a bad odour? - gordonbennet

Sasha4, i expect TonyG will give the same answer as this, but you never know.

Milk is the worse of all typical spillages and once allowed to decompose enough to start smelling as bad as you say then the only cure is new carpets/seats/underlay even anti vibration pads, whatever material that got soaked, the smell won't go for many years if ever.

The only way to deal with spilt milk is to immediately remove every affected item and wash throughly before it dries.

One of my ex (Mr Perfect) colleagues spilt a cup of coffee in the slide out tray in my lorry, he said he mopped it up as best but...

After about 2 months the most dreadfull smell was present which i couldn't explain, after several months of almost throwing up i eventually traced it, dismantled the tray and in doing so removed the rubber fitted mat...all became apparent as the smell hit me, there was a long dried stain approximately 2" in diameter of the tiny amount of left over milk residue trapped under the rubber mat.

The hard plastic tray cleaned up OK, but the rubber mat had absorbed the odour, i steam cleaned it, bleached it, put it in the dishwasher, scrubbed it rubbed it wire brushed it, nothing at all reduced the power of that foul smell...eventually had to throw it out.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/01/2014 at 11:47

Ford Focus - Rejecting a car after it developed a bad odour? - bathtub tom

>>Milk is the worse of all typical spillages

Can't agree GB. A work colleague had his young child throw up shortly after a drink of milk. That was never cleaned properly and I used to retch when I subsequently got in his car. I refused to travel with him.

Ford Focus - Rejecting a car after it developed a bad odour? - gordonbennet

>>Milk is the worse of all typical spillages

Can't agree GB. A work colleague had his young child throw up shortly after a drink of milk.

Well, it was milk wasn't it, you know milk as in milk that the young child had just consumed?

Strewth, that BT bloke he'd argue with a drunk horse..;) as in get off yor horse and drink yor milk.!!

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/01/2014 at 13:18

Ford Focus - Rejecting a car after it developed a bad odour? - nortones2

Casein: smelly stuff, derived from milk, as I recall from using casein glue.

Ford Focus - Rejecting a car after it developed a bad odour? - kerbed enthusiasm

We've had a few instances of milk spilt in cars. One was from a leaking bottle in the boot, another from a flask of coffee. With three children, the last of whom was travel sick with a frequency and intensity that had to witnessed to be believed, all of our cars have been subjected to vomit.

When we had an MPV I could remove the seats and wash them (in one spectacular instance I had to literally hose the seats down). I've not tried the vinegar method but I did have success using bicarbonate of soda once the seats/carpet are dry. Spread it onto the affected area and leave in place for as long as possible then hoover. On one occasion I needed to repeat the process over several days but it always worked!

Enjoy...