VW Camper - Halford's battery guarentee - George/W

Some years ago I took a car battery back to Halfords with the receipt and the in time guarentee and was told by the manager that a) I had to buy a new one and b) it would be returned to the manufacturer and my money refunded if it was faulty. My reply was "come with me sunshine and read that notice on the wall. Out load!" He read "no quibble guarentee" and was told he was "quibbling" and I intended staying in his shop until he came to a different conclusion. He handed me a new battery and I insisted I be given a new gaurentee! I resolved then NOT to be fobbed off in future.

Today, same story up to b) they tested it with their standard green tester and told me there was nothing wrong with it and it was my alternator not charging it or charging too much. Figures given were under 12 volt or over 14.5 ( which I said was far too high)and I would have to bring vechicle in for a test. This showed battery at 12 point something, with engine running13.6 and with "everything" on the same 13.6. I was now told there was no manufacture's fault and nothing could be done as it was over a year old. They were told that as it was not holding a charge it was not performing as a car battery should etc as per "sales of goods act" Result but with same guarentee running out as on old battery. Why do they try it on????

VW Camper - Halford's battery guarentee - martint123

It would now appear to be a criminal offence for a person to give false information about your rights. You could challenge them directly and see them squirm

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1277/contents/made

These make engaging in a number of "unfair commercial practises" an offence. One of the listed practises is misleading the consumer over his rights.

Edited by martint123 on 15/03/2012 at 14:54

VW Camper - Halford's battery guarentee - TeeCee

Same old, same old.

The only battery guarantee worth having was the old Unipart "Samson" lifetime one. If you could show the original guarantee card and prove you still had the car, they'd give you a new one on the spot with no questions asked.

I remember my father cleaning out his desk one day and finding a Samson guarantee card down the back of one of the drawers. He went out to the garage, found the decade old dead battery, cleaned the outside a bit, took it in and got a new one. It "belonged" to an MG Midget that he still had in a lockup somewhere.

He asked the bloke behind the counter who showed him an instruction from Unipart head office that basically said "If the paperwork's in order, just do it and don't argue!". The replacement ones came with a new guarantee.

I went through three of 'em, one paid and two replacements, on my old MGB....

VW Camper - Halford's battery guarentee - 1litregolfeater

I think I understand. It may seem that Halfords have sold you a poor battery, but from their side, the battery seems ok.

Your car may be draining the battery slowly in a way that halfords are unable to diagnose. There may be a bad connection in your car, possibly in a door or behind the dash.

You must be able to see their point.

VW Camper - Halford's battery guarentee - Chris M

Never understood why someone would buy a battery from Halfords - unless it was a distress purchase. Halfords advertising and large high street/retail park premises have to be paid for by someone. A local factor will supply one of equal or better quality cheaper, usually from functional premises on an industrial estate.

Halfords know their market. Have a look in the car park - it's chavland.