Subaru Forester - Suspension noises - FrancePaul

My suspension ( all four corners ) is making some strong creaking noises especially when starting off from cold. Seems to improve as the car warms up. Do the shock absorbers contain oil or fluid that becomes thinner as the warmth increases, and therefore the creaking eases up? What could the problem be please?

Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be please.

Subaru Forester - Suspension noises - bathtub tom

Back in the old days we used to keep a jam-jar of brake fluid that had been bled out. An old paint brush would be used to apply this to suspension bushes that would creak in dry weather but be quiet in wet weather.

It'd keep them quiet for a few months.

Subaru Forester - Suspension noises - Peter.N.

As above post, does it creak when its raining?

Subaru Forester - Suspension noises - gordonbennet

It could be dry rubber suspension bushes, or could be a ball joint seizing which will require replacement.

Inspect the suspension properly for wear, seizure and perished bushes, then if nothing to cause concern a liberal sploshing or spraying of Waxoyl tends to quieten everything down.

edit, one other thought, is the propshaft to the rear axle able to greased, i wonder if the slider is sticking or a UJ dry...probably not but worth checking.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/03/2012 at 08:06

It could be dry rubber suspension bushes, or could be a ball joint seizing which will require replacement.

Inspect the suspension properly for wear, seizure and perished bushes, then if nothing to cause concern a liberal sploshing or spraying of Waxoyl tends to quieten everything down.

edit, one other thought, is the propshaft to the rear axle able to greased, i wonder if the slider is sticking or a UJ dry...probably not but worth checking.

Many thanks for your replies - will get the car looked at. Took the car out today and no noise at all! Wierd.