Megane Sport Coupe 16V 1.6 - Revs Limited Loss of power - Bordtea

Hi all. Bought a 1999 Reg Megane Sport Coupe 1.6 the other week and just trying to get rid of the problems it has.

This one is about a lack of power from the engine. Basically, when the engine is warm and I accelerate hard, the car sort of loses power (feels as if i've dropped my foot off the accelerator and the brake is being applied slightly). I've noticed that it only really happens at high-ish revs, for example if I accelerate hard it will lose power at around 3k revs in pretty much every gear.

I first noticed it when on the motorway, I would try to accelerate in fifth and it would just lose power.

It varies with how long it lasts for, sometimes it's just a blip and sometimes i have to take my foot off the accelerator for a good 4 seconds which becomes quite dangerous..

So far I have replaced the ignition coils, cleaned up the TDC sensor and cleaned out the throttle body. I then gave up and took it to the garage where they cleaned the flywheel sensor and replaced the coolant temp sensor, but they couldn't find what the problem was. Took it to a second garage and he checked the fuel lines, did engine diagnostics etc but nothing was coming up.

Completely clueless as to what this is and I don't want to take it to Renault to have my money ripped away from me.

Any help appreciated!

Bordtea

Edited by Bordtea on 09/02/2012 at 18:25

Fuel filter has also been replaced

Any ideas? :(

Megane Sport Coupe 16V 1.6 - Revs Limited Loss of power - Fernando P

Carefully check the various rubber hoses around the inlet manifold, especially at their bends, to ensure there are no hidden cracks in then, which could cause a loss of vacuum.

Right will do. Garage is off with Renault at the moment but I will do that when I get the car back (presuming they've found something, which I reckon is unlikely)...

Cheers

Megane Sport Coupe 16V 1.6 - Revs Limited Loss of power - elekie&a/c doctor

Possibly has a blockage in the exhaust system.Get the garage to do a back pressure test.hth

Garage did that but couldn't find any problem with the exhaust system. Took the car to renault and they reckon its the fuel pump as there's a lack of pressure in the fuel lines by the time the petrol gets to the injectors.