Ford Fiesta mk4 (1998) 5-door - Rear windscreen heater and wiper/Leaky Boot - SwanseaFiesta98

My rear windscreen heater and wiper only work intermittently. At first it would seem quite random as to when they would work (i.e. They would start working part way through a journey, or at the start or not at all!) but I've noticed that the carpet in my boot is very wet during rainy weather and creating excess condensation.

Is it possible that the rain is affecting the electrics and the wipers and heater only work when it's a bit drier?

How can I find out where the leak is and prevent it? The parcel shelf is dry and so are the rear seats.

Please help!!!

Mat

Ford Fiesta mk4 (1998) 5-door - Rear windscreen heater and wiper/Leaky Boot - Avant

Moved to Technical.

Ford Fiesta mk4 (1998) 5-door - Rear windscreen heater and wiper/Leaky Boot - elekie&a/c doctor

Erratic operation or rear wiper and heated screen is usually a problem with the earth circuit to the tailgate.This circuit is taken through the tailgate hinge pins.Spray some penetrating fluid on the hinges and tap them back and forward slightly .This should reduce the corrosion build up.The water leak into boot is often the rear light seals.hth

Ford Fiesta mk4 (1998) 5-door - Rear windscreen heater and wiper/Leaky Boot - SwanseaFiesta98

Thanks...

I shall give it a whirl. I'll have to take a closer look at the rear light seals.