It's winter - greenhey
I guess almost by definition the people who are in this forum aren't the ones I'm appealing to, but at least it'd be good to know if you agree.
I'm getting depressed by the behaviour of a lot of drivers as winter moves in, regarding lighting.
On some journeys I keep a casual account of how many other cars I see incorrectly lit in poor visibility or at night .For example in a 40 mile journey M40-M25-Heathrow on Tuesday , 58 cars , even after the peak.
These consisted of those driving on sidelights (why?- and it's been illegal for over 20 years) ; with foglights on though no fog ; or with one or more light not working.
I've driven in Europe and the US and I think this happens here more than anywhere else I know. Iguess it's to do with lack of concern for other road users - after all it rarely affects whoever's driving .
It's winter - John Davis
"These consisted of those driving on sidelights"
My cynicism tells me that there is no revenue to be had, by the police, in stopping these fools. A local "speed camera" has generated half a million pounds in a couple of months but, who gets stopped/fined etc for these other dangerous practices?
The sidelight drivers are at their most deadly in my opinion, on motorways. Not to oncoming traffic of course but, to the careful driver who is overtaking, only to find, at the last minute, that there is some twerp, driving behind him in an adjacent lane, with just his sidelights on. It is to be hoped that "sidelights" will soon be legislated into the history books and that dipped (or dimmed) headlights will be the minimum legal lighting requirement for vehicles, on the move,in darkness or fading natural light.
It's winter - chris p crisps ©
Driving up the m4 tonight nearly pulled out into an overtaking vehicle who was driving on side lights,pulled in just in time ,then the so and so had the nerve to give lots of abuse because I could not see him.It amazes me how many cars on the road have only one headlight working.But then had to replace a bulb on volvo at a cost of £20 its a rip off.So perhaps drivers cannot aford more than one bulb at a time.

chris
It's winter - blowpipe
Next time you're in France, stock up on bulbs. I replaced one on my bike (Honda VFR800, halogen bulb simlar to the one my saab takes) there this summer and it cost £3.
It's winter - HF
I've said this before here, and it's one of the amazingly good things that I've learned from this site.

I was taught, and I guess many others were (because since becoming aware of this information I've noticed so many people doing it)that at dusk the thing to do was to put on your sidelights, and only once the streetlamps were lit was it time to put on dipped headlights. (and I wasn't taught 20 years ago, when someone here posted that such a practice became illegal!)
HF

It's winter - DavidHM
I have to admit that I am probably one of those twerps.

I usually put my sidelights on when there is any decrease in visibility due to rain or the very first fading of the light, etc., but when there is no problem in actually seeing those cars without their lights on.

When it gets just a little darker, I'll switch to dipped main beam.

I don't consider this irresponsible, but then I suppose it's a value judgement as I see loads of people driving with only sidelights when their ability see or be seen is seriously impaired.

I'm not sure where to draw the line, but where I consider that the risk and inconvenience of dazzling other drivers outweighs the extra visibility, I think that sidelights offer a brief window of usefulness, if used responsibly. It may be though that these narrow benefits are not justified by the risk of people using them when it is inappropriately dark, so I'm undecided as to whether they should be fitted to cars but I'm leaning towards saying yes, as long as there is good driver education.
It's winter - Dave_TD
Another 18 hour day finished...

From November through to March I tend to use my dipped beams all the time unless it's clear, bright sunshine. Today was overcast, and I had my dips on all day long. (Mostly A-road driving, 10am Bedford to Cambridge, 12.30pm Bedford to Luton, 2.30pm Bedford to RLBS) I should say that about 1 in 5 other motorists had their dipped beams on as well. (Not counting Volvo drivers, who don't have a say in the matter!) With the roads being gritted now, and most cars consequently being a dull grey colour, I reckon this extra visibility can only help, bearing in mind that a lot of people will have a film of road salt on their windows and mirrors to obscure their vision during daylight hours.
This is also why I put my dip beams on in the rain on motorways, and keep them on after the shower until -I- can see out of my windows and in my mirrors.
My car doesn't have dim-dip headlights, and I never drive around on sidelights only. As was mentioned here before, by switching on sidelights you're admitting there are visibility issues, therefore you need lights which can clearly be seen. How many motorbikes do you see with their sidelight(s) on?
It's winter - PhilW
They are NOT sidelights - they are PARKING lights and should only be used when parking! Bring back dim-dip! Like post above I nearly pulled out in front of a black Golf with PARKING (!) lights on the M1 last night (about 5pm so virtually pitch dark).Everybody else had dipped beam on so he (?) was very difficult to see. Unlike those with fog-lights on on a clear evening!!!
Also very disconcerting to come upon a Vectra coming the opposite way on a country lane with off-side head and sidelight not working
It's winter - Dynamic Dave
They are NOT sidelights - they are PARKING lights
a Vectra coming the opposite way on a country lane with off-side
head and sidelight not working

Hang on, you said they weren't sidelights. Make up your mind :o)

It's winter - PhilW
DD,
Oops!! Thought you might not understand!! Cr*p excuse I know!!
I've written out "parking lights" 100 times
It's winter - eric's son
just to be pedantic...
the Met's bikes had (may have still) a little glow-lamp driving light attached above the headlight that was used during daylight hours instead of the headlamp. The idea being to increase visibility, without the risk of a dipped headlight potentially appearing to flash due to the pitching motion of the bike, therefore leading other drivers to believe it was a kind plod letting them out in front. Bang.
So yes, you do see bikers with sidelights (I used to use 'em)
It's winter - HF
My only contribution to this is that Dynamic is always right!!

So take heed, listen to what he says - it will be valuable information for you.
HF
My only contribution to this is that Dynamic is always right!!

Blimey!! You been at the falling down water HF?
Many thanks for those kind words. Not deserved though. Not always right. Many others deserve the praise as well.
I'm positively gobsmacked!
It's winter - HF
Hello Dynamic,

the falling down water - not unless *they* have put something into my system.

Gobsmacked? Really?!!! Then you should think more of yourself and realise what an asset you are here. Can't believe you are being so humble here! Come on, brag, you know you can do it!!

Yeah others deserve praise too, but none so much as you (am I going over the top here?!!!!!!) Whatever, I thank you for all the lessons you have given me, and speak to you soon, I hope.

In the meantime a very happy Xmas to you an your family.

Take care
HF
HF,

There is really no need to put me on a pedestal. Besides which, the cheque won't now reach you until after Christmas :o)

Happy Xmas to you and yours also.
It's winter - HF
Dynamic,

Just a :)

Which I hope says it all.

Take care, always.
HF
It's winter - Cyd
Entirely agree DTD. I've pointed this out before:.....it has been proven in other countries that driving with dipped beam on substantially reduces your chances of being involved in a fatal accident. (cannot lay my hands on the actual proof anymore, but I assure you it's true).

I drive with dipped beam on (almost) all the time - especially in the winter, especially in the rush hour (summer or winter), especially when the sun is low & behind me, when it's raining or misty, in country lanes (where drivers may see the lights glinting through the hedges before they see the car) etc etc etc etc.

I look forward to the day when legislation requires that dipped beam comes on automatically whenever the engine is running.

In my view the worst offenders are those who not only have their RH headlight out, but also have no sidelight there either - looks like a motorbike coming the other way making you think there's plenty of room - untill you're about 20 feet away that is!! "Beware the one-eyed Monster" was the slogan used by one London Council some years ago.

I'm sure there's plenty more examples, but the question remains the same - why do the authorities do nothing about this menace on our roads?