Pug 306 - Air in fuel system - blimthepixie

Hi,

My car broke down on me this morning, it ran and then shuddered until it eventually stalled.

I got it running a few more times but the same thing happened so it was time to lift the bonnet...

I have a clear pipe running from my fuel filter to the injector pump and I could see lots of air being drawn through as I was turning the car over, and even more so when it was running.

I checked the filter, primed it until there was no air in the system and then tried to start the car again - same problem. After an hour or so of frantically trying to work out where it could be drawing air in (and hoping it wasn't corroded fuel lines) I found that the little white plug at the bottom of the filter housing was leaking fuel. I tried turning this but it just seems that it is not on threads so I can't tighten it.

I think that this is where the air is being sucked in, now I have a few questions. I have to drive this car from Cornwall to Durham next week so I need it to be relatively mobile...

1)

Can this be replaced? This water release tap? Or can I bodge it and hope for the best??

2)

Can I get one of those "in-line" fuel filters and bypass the factory fitted filter on my car?

3)

Go to a scrappy and get a "new" filter housing and just replace the whole lot? (I know that this is risky as the part could end up being worse)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pug 306 - Air in fuel system - Peter.N.

I assume this car is diesel, also that it is an XUD engine as the Hdi has a pressurised system. If there is fuel leaking from the filter, as you suggest there is a very good chance of air being drawn in. Can you remove this white plug, I don't recall seeing one of these, if so can you replace it with a flexible rubber one it should seal OK. If you can't find one to fit make it out of silicon sealant.

It sounds strange that it has no thread, could be that is is stripped, does it have a hexagon or slot or is it completely flat?

Pug 306 - Air in fuel system - jc2

Buy a NEW filter assembly from Peugeot-yes,it will cost money but at least you'll have peace of mind on your trip.