Honda Accord 1.8 - Honda Accord Cutting out - mikeey84

Hi all, i have a number of problems with my car, and i think they may be related. I was wondering if anyone could help..... (apologies for the essay!)

On cold wet mornings my car (X reg Honda Accord, 1.8 Vtech 130k miles) struggles to start. turns over fine, fuel pump kicks in, just doesnt catch. Now i think this is related to the HT leads or distribution cap as i can see some of the insulation coming away on the HT lead near where it connects to the spark plug. If i spray the area with WD-40 and leave for 5 mins the engine reluctantly starts withthe accelerator pedal pressed fully. I expect that this can be solved my replaceing the HT leads. Pretty simple. However while going round a sharp RHT the engine died, no error lights, and started up easily straight away. It has since done this 2 more times. Could these be related (havent changed HT leads yet) or am i looking at something like fuel pump/filter or a loose connection? Any advice greatly appriciated.

Sorry for the ramble

Honda Accord 1.8 - Honda Accord Cutting out - elekie&a/c doctor

Accords of this age were subject to a recall for faulty ignition switches causing cutting out .Has yours been done?hth

Thats a very good question. However I am in no position to answer it, as i have only been in possesion of the car for 12 months, and am not sure if the prvious owners had the work done. There is nothing noted in the service book. Do Honda keep track of the cars that have been recalled/had work done?

Honda Accord 1.8 - Honda Accord Cutting out - Newdog06

Honda UK keep a warranty record of any of these recalls done. Any Honda car dealer can check for you as long as you give them your reg number or VIN. We've got one in today with a cutting out problem. Needs a switch but fuel pump has had it too. That's got 132k miles as well!

Hi newdog- had the accord in for a service, and they reckon that all outstanding work has been done- but still want me to swap out the ignitiion switch. Now the car will turn over, but die almost straight away. is this a symptom of an ignition switch? I have heard it could be the fuel relay? Or could it be the fuel pump?

Honda Accord 1.8 - Honda Accord Cutting out - victor2

Just had an ignition switch go on my Shuttle. Start the car then with the engine running wiggle the key in the switch - if it cuts out then that's it. Took the old switch apart to see if I could repair it, but no. Honda couldn't supply a new one £60 - 2-6 week wait. Ended up getting a secondhand one for £25. A lot of the breakers wanted £50-60 for it which I thought was outrageous. It's quite easy to fit, you don't need to dismantle the barrel or the cowling, just put your head in the footwell and unscrew the two screws at the back and pull it out and then pull out the connector from the fusebox.

Hi Victor- did as you suggested and it cut out after much wiggling. rather stupidly I did this on a slip road onto the A46, so had to quickly pull over and stop and restart the engine. Think I will do it in the car park at work next time :-) Will investigate a new switch, but will probably get the s******, sorry dealer to fix for me.

Thanks for the info

Mikeey

Honda Accord 1.8 - Honda Accord Cutting out - victor2

Yes, quite easy to diagnose. Have it done sooner than later though, because it rapidly gets worse. Any independant could do this job. You will probably be luckier than me on the parts availability because it's a more common vehicle (the Shuttle and Accord switches are slightly different). Honda wanted around £125 to do it. Good luck