Potential Damage to Alloys and Tyres Using Eurotunnel Train - Monsieur Kev

It is not a cheap trip on EuroTunnel if you end up damaging an alloy wheel, or take a chunk out of the sidewall of your tyre when you drive on or off the carriage.

The problem is the upper deck carriages, where at either end the ramp narrows and the metal kerb is higher. If you are unfortunate enough to be directed towards the upper deck, you enter from the side and after making a tightish turn, then you have a steep ramp ahead of you with the nose of the car pointing at the ceiling. Normally there should be red marker posts where the ramp narrows, but often these are not in place. If you pass through the plastic posts and your wing mirrors clear them, you should be OK, but there is still the chance you might whack the metal kerb either side.

Once you are up into the carriage, the kerbs are low and should not damage your tyre or wheel if you contact them. However, when directed to the upper deck there are curbs at the apex of the ramp that are about 4 inches high and again very close together - these become the low lip kerbs once the ramp flattens out. As the nose of your car is pointing uphill, you cannot see the last six feet or so. The same when you leave the upper deck, as the ramp slopes away from you and you have little visual reference, especially if the train crew have not put the marker posts in position.

If you contact this kerb even at a walking pace speed, you risk severe damage to your alloy wheels, especially if you have low profile tyres. So what do you do if you are unlucky enough to clout one of these metal kerbs as I have done.

1. Pull up immediately to the side of the train, and find the crew member who is standing at the bottom of the ramp waving good bye to you. Or if you hit the kerb on boarding, inform a crewmember straight away.

2. Demand that a "Safety-Related Event Form" or "Declaration D'Evenement de Securite" form is completed by the supervisor who should also take pictures of the damage to your wheel, tyre or both. Take your own pictures

3. Notify by email EuroTunnel customer services that your car was damaged by these kerbs on the upper deck and you will be making a claim for a new wheel and tyre.

I am sure hundreds of motorists have clipped these kerbs, but have done nothing about it. The metal kerbs when inspected clearly show that there has been metal on metal contact many times. They are very unforgiving if hit or clipped.

If you do have a wide car with nice alloys, do not risk being sent onto the upper deck. Ask to go on the lower deck. Alternatively if you have a clasic car or something like an Aston Martin, book as an "overheight vehicle" or on the day drive into the lane before boarding for high vehicles. Then you will go into the part of the train that carries coaches. Here the lane in the carriages is much wider. Just make sure if you are parked at the front of the carriage, that the chock on one side is removed by the crew before you drive off, otherwise tyre damage may result.

Edited by Monsieur Kev on 02/07/2011 at 15:17

Potential Damage to Alloys and Tyres Using Eurotunnel Train - piston power

It's getting a much better discussion on the other side, this site won't allow a link no wonder it's dead.

Edited by piston power on 03/07/2011 at 13:27

Potential Damage to Alloys and Tyres Using Eurotunnel Train - Problem_Polo :-/

Good info there; laziness on the part of staff by not erecting any warning devices as intended is certainly very poor. But, as you are in charge of your vehicle at the time of any damage occuring, are you certain that Eurotunnel would be willing to pay out - have you successfully acheived recompence for your incident? Are you certain also that the form you mention above will be issued, as I could see the point being argued that a minor 'parking ding' or equivalent is not a safety issue so far as the operation of the train is concerned?

The same type of steep ramps on car ferries can also be a tad worrying, particularly as you say when you hit the crest and end up for a few moments with precious little idea of where you're going! A very useful warning to anybody travelling by Chunnel!

The form I mentioned will be issued if you demand it.

Of course you curse yourself for hitting the kerb in the first place, but then you realise "If I had been directed onto the lower level of the carriage, this would not have happened". There is an increased risk of damaging your wheels if you are sent onto the upper carriage compartment, I do not think that this is acceptable.

Also there should be a sign warning motorists to take extra care, because if you hit the kerb hard enough, the tracking could be misaligned or worse. Just what you need as you set off on holiday.

Potential Damage to Alloys and Tyres Using Eurotunnel Train - Problem_Polo :-/

I agree, not a helpful start to a holiday which might quite easily involve many miles of driving. It sounds as if some form of modification is needed here, even something as rudimentary as a little padding would be a start. Did you manage to recover any losses from Eurotunnel?

Edited by Problem_Polo :-/ on 03/07/2011 at 20:14

Well I have just heard from EuroTunnel and they have agreed to reimburse me for a new alloy wheel and tyre. Excellent customer service by the way.