Dubious Edinburgh on-street parking sign - Ken A
Last week-end parked up outside a guest house in Haymarket area where we were staying the night at 12.20pm Saturday. Took a quick shufti at the parking sign and read something to the effect "Restrictions apply Mon-Fri 8.00 -6.30". Thought, fine be alright here for the duration of our stay. Ten minutes later, returned to car after stowing luggage in hotel to find a fixed penalty parking ticket on the screen. Re-read sign which actually read, "Restrictions apply Mon-Fri 8.00- 6.30" and then below this, "Sat 8.30-6.30". What on earth is the twisted logic here? Why not, "Mon -Sat 8.00 -6.30" and have done with it?
Several people I spoke to over the week-end, all Edinburgh residents, had been caught out in a similar way at various times. It seems that Mon - Sat, the City employs 24hour parking wardens. At least two people I was with had been booked late at night for as little as five minutes illegal parking, one being my son!
Alright, I should have read the sign more carefully but even so, this smacks of a licence to print money at £60 a throw (£30, if paid within 14 days). Anyway, I pass on the story as a warning to anyone not already in the know, who is venturing to Edinburgh, which in all other respects is a fantastic place to be.
Regards
Ken A
Dubious Edinburgh on-street parking sign - Jonathan {p}
Hi

I got a ticket for parking in a residents only parking bay in Edinburgh, which was directly adjacent to a pay and display section of on road parking. I successfully appealed the ticket because the paint on the road was in a very poor condition and it was impossible to tell where one ends and the other starts. There were signs showing the demarkation, but these have to be painted as well for the law to be enforced.

Jonathan