VW Polo GT (1991) - Gear Box Problem - JamesRutt

Good afternoon, I purchased a VW Polo GT yesterday as a project - the plan is to make it exactly as it was rolled out of the factory in '91.

Driving it home all seemed well, i then started to feel a slight jerk when changing up (if im honest i was reminiscing about how fun these cars are and was pushing it quite hard....) this escalated as time went on until i found it difficult to select any gear at all - it seemed 5th had dissapeared alltogether and the rest were reluctant to engage - then, nothing.... the gear stick went light and i could not find any gears at all - i was stuck in 3rd... the clutch was still working and i was able to use the clutch and 3rd to get me home...!

Taking what i have said into consideration - any ideas what it could be??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

James

VW Polo GT (1991) - Gear Box Problem - Peter.N.

Sounds like a problem with the linkage or maybe the bottom of the gear stick. Get someone to look at the gearbox linkage while you twirl the stick around and see if anything is moving, if not it will be something the stick end. If it has cables could be one broken/disconnected or the outer come loose.

VW Polo GT (1991) - Gear Box Problem - Robin the Technician

Agree with Peter N - sounds like the linkage has fallen to pieces. The only way toascertain if it is the linkage is, have a look.

Robin the Technician