Any - Driver discomfort - beanstalker

I am experiencing difficulty when I drive my present car. Essentially, I seem to be squashing my nether regions being delicate about this. I am sure other men must have the same problem? I do stop regularly etc to get out but its becoming a real nuisance and I am driving to Cornwall tomorrow so I think I will have some difficulty. The only solution I can see ( apart from not driving at all!) is to buy one of those backrests sold by computer shops like Staples, they bring you quite a way forward so the offending part doesnt get squashed. Has anyone out there got any ideas?

Any - Driver discomfort - veryoldbear

Sell it and buy a SAAB ...

Any - Driver discomfort - catsdad

Can I suggest you see if you can adjust the existing seat more effectively? Try the pages around this link and you might not need to buy a backrest

Any - Driver discomfort - catsdad

Sorry missed link -

www.drivingergonomics.com/

Any - Driver discomfort - turbo11

Drive a Mazda 5 or 6. Lots of driver leg room. I get the same problem if I drive cars with wide transmission tunnels, which impinge on my left leg. BMW and VW are the worst for me. The centre console on Mk5 golf's and A3's actually bruise the outside of my left knee on any journey more than thirty miles.

Any - Driver discomfort - Bilboman

Head restraints!! My Focus III (and a lot of other cars I've hired over the past couple of years) has the head restraints pitched forwards at an incredibly uncomfortable angle, which constantly push at the top of my head. Navigating down a potholed road, or indeed any road with a less than biliard table smooth surface, I am smacked on the head again and again. I have "reasonable" tyres and alloys as standard and what I would describe as a generally well damped and pliant suspension setting. But I cannot for the life of me find a comfortable position free of the repetitive head-smack, having tried every possible adjustment of backrest, seat height and steering wheel (no lumbar control on this particular model, worse luck.) I am far less bothered about *possible* whiplash injury than the constant day to day pain form the non adjustable and immensely tiring head restraints.

Any - Driver discomfort - justadriver

First try to adjust your seat height and also your steering column height and give it a few days, but some cars are poor for driving positions for tall people. another inexpensive way is to buy a kitchen chair cushion (about an inch thick) and use that under or behind you, I have 2 fractured vertabrae in my back and one in my neck and personally I am lucky my car has lots of adjustment in the seats and despite beinng 6'2" and 15 stones + i can adjust my seat forwards at times on long motorway journeys have steering wheel in different position. You may want to consider another car if you are thinking of changing. some of the small MPV's have much better driving positions. What car is it, by the way?

Any - Driver discomfort - Bilboman

It's Focus III TDCi 1.6, 2008 model, so not due for a replacement until 2012. The only part of my sitting environment which I cannot adjust for comfort - other than up-down - is the head restraints. To my (non-expert) way of thinking, the head restraint should at least try to follow the contours of the head, or am I missing something? If there is a fairly even gap between my skull and the restraint, in the event of a rear end collision, the ideal result should surely be that all the surface area of my head (maybe even my neck) hits the restraint evenly, rather than just a hefty whack at the top of my skull - which is what I get regularly on a normal journey!

A previous company car - a Vectra - had the same pivoting system as Saabs, whereby the restraint was not too close, but in the event of a rear ender, the pressure of the upper back against the seatback would have the effect of pushing the restraint forward to provide maximum support and protection from whiplash. It strikes me that this is a relatively low cost solution which is simply ignored by manufacturers to save a few pennies.