Pedestrians - left or right? - Cliff Pope
I nearly ran down a pedestrian a couple of nights ago. He was walking along a de-restricted unlit A-road, wearing dark clothing, and on the left hand side of the road.

I have always understood, and I think it is in the Highway Code, that pedestrians on roads without pavements should walk facing the oncoming traffic, ie on the right. Yet in my experience the majority now walk on the left.
Has the rule changed?
Pedestrians - left or right? - cabsmanuk
I don't think the rule has changed but if you ran him/her/it down then it would be your fault.
Pedestrians - left or right? - Baskerville
It's not a rule, just advice. See the thread about driving within the limits of your vision. The blind corner theory doesn't just apply to unlit skips.
Pedestrians - left or right? - PhilW
It's that time of year isn't it? - I only drive 5 miles along rural roads to work and on the way back the other night nearly hit a cyclist. No lights, black jacket, dark blue jeans, virtually invisible. Then I saw a dog which ran out in front of me crossing the road, slowed down, and saw attached to the dog, and on a lead, was a middle aged woman, dressed all in black. And if I'd hit either of these invisible obstacles? No doubt my fault and no doubt I would have been speeding. (I wasn't)
Pedestrians - left or right? - TrevorP
Rule 2 -

but 2 problems

1) it is not Law.

2) how many road users OF ANY KIND read the Highway Code?
(except for Learner Drivers - who mostly then throw it away, because of course it does not apply after passing your test)

Pedestrians - left or right? - Tom Shaw
Whether a pedastrian is facing the traffic or away from it does not make them more visible, but if facing they can at least see oncoming vehicles and get out of the way if nescessary.

I now always wear something reflective when out walking the dogs at night, after an incident last year when a motorist who had passed alarmingly close to me actually stopped and reversed to tell me she had not seen as I was dressed in black and leading two black dogs.

Shook me up a bit, and made me realise that as pedestrians we are not always aware of how vulnerable we can be. Perhaps we need an Institute of Advanced Pedestrians. Teaching the Highway Code to school childeren would be a start.
Pedestrians - left or right? - PhilW
Bring back the "Wear something white" campaign?
Pedestrians - left or right? - BrianW
I'm very aware of this problem as with two lively black labradors they don't show up at all in the dark.
Luckily there are mainly adequate pavements locally, although they usually get a run off the lead on the fields in daylight, but if we are away and we are walking down a road it's always very short leads and facing the traffic.
Pedestrians - left or right? - deltaseven
Manufacturers of trainers don't help in this respect. Has anyone else noticed how most running shoes have reflectors on the REAR of the shoes, not the front. When you are wearing these, maybe it makes more sense to walk / run with your back to the traffic?
D7