Hyundai i10 - Water ingress & warranty - AtoB

I've got a Hyundai i10 which I've had from brand new (May 2009) and today noticed a small salt/water mark about an inch high in the front passenger footwell . On lifting up my rubber car mats I found that the carpets underneath were soaked - with it worst on the passenger and rear carpets. All other surfaces are bone dry - it's only the lowest points of the floor carpet that are wet. I had thought there was a bit of a smell in the car and this explains it.

I then checked the boot - the boot carpet and plastic storage compartment underneath are bone dry but there was water underneath the plastic compartment; the padding on the base of the plastic compartment that rests on the wheel arch was soaked, there was water/condensation collected in the spare itself and there was about an inch or so of water pooled in the spare wheel well.

All I've noticed about the car water-wise is that ever since I've had it, after heavy rain, when I open the driver's door, water has collected under the door sill and spills out - I did mention this at the first service in case there was a blocked drainage hole or something but it was not mentioned when I picked the car up so I presumed there was no problem or it was sorted.

I've got an appointment to get the water ingress investigated by the dealership garage but wondered if anyone is aware of this happening on other i10s and/or knows what might be the possible cause. The car's not been involved in any accidents or bumps.

Also, I'm presuming the cost of the investigation of the leak and any repairs/parts that might be needed will be covered by the 5 yr warranty and I won't be charged anything?

They said it could take a long time to find the source of the problem and I'm worried in case after spending ages to find the cause it could somehow be related to something not covered by the warranty - leaving me with hefty costs! I will double check with the dealer beforehand but any independent advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by AtoB on 11/02/2011 at 20:39

Hyundai i10 - UPDATE: Water ingress & warranty - AtoB

The car went into the garage on Thursday and the leak was traced to two vents in the panel under the bumper that hadn't been sealed properly - so covered under warranty.

I asked how the carpets were soaked if the leak was only in the boot - but it seems that as I park up on a slight downward slope I'd only seen the tip of the ice-berg and on the flat, the water in the boot was several inches deep, up to the top of the spare wheel (!) and had sloshed up and over into the rest of the car whenever I braked or drove downhill.

They said they'd sealed the vents and dried the carpets as much as they could - i.e. they'd squeezed out what water they could - but the carpets are still sodden and when I questioned this - as I thought drying the carpets out would be part of the warranty service and am concerned about potential smell, mould and rot - they claimed that there shouldn't be any problem and suggested that I drive for the next week or so with the heaters on full, with air re-cycle and with the air-con on.

I have my doubts this will dry the carpets thoroughly or prevent mould /smells and wonder if they was anything else they could/should offer? - though I appreciate that on the day they didn't have the time or any facilities to dry the carpets out properly.

Also, obviously I'm concerned that a boot-full of water has been sloshing around (and over Xmas, freezing) inside my car, under my carpets and in any accessible compartments, nooks and crannies for god knows how long and asked about potential damage and longer term consequences (e,g, water/freeze/thaw damage to exposed components/electrics, risk of rust, etc.) and they said there was no problem.

I've never had a warranty before and was surprised that they refused point blank to give me any paperwork about the problem, the full extent of the water taken on or the work they've done. I understand them not wanting to give me a copy of their invoice to Hyundai for the warranty work (which I had to sign) but is it normal practice to not get any paperwork at all?

They said the fault has been noted on their records of service history but my concern is that I have no documentary evidence of this leak whatsoever (besides these postings!) and this concerns me if problems do arise in the future due to the amount of water that got in and the areas it got into.

I'm not criticising the garage or suggesting they're doing anything wrong; they were polite, prompt with the appointment and fix and gave me a courtesy car for the day with no problem but I just want to check what I should expect when this sort of problem happens under warranty.

Any advice appreciated.

Hyundai i10 - UPDATE: Water ingress & warranty - Englishbullterrier

My personal opinion is that you will never rid the car of the musty smell and I would contact Hyuandai Customer Services direct and ask for a new set of carpets to be fitted. If not this will almost certainly affect the resale value. It is also possible that you might get some nasty fungus/spores growing, which some people can be allergic to........ebt

Hyundai i10 - UPDATE: Water ingress & warranty - Cymrogwyllt

If you can run mains to the car try putting a dehumidifier in the car.

I may be wrong but if you can dry it out quickly you won't get the musty smell as the mould will not have grown in the first place.

Hyundai i10 - UPDATE: Water ingress & warranty - Collos25

Depending what material is under the carpets it is possible that the carpets will never be ok.The seats should have been removed the carpet removed the silencing material replaced the carpets cleaned and dried and then replaced. It will never dry out on its own.Its time to lay the law down with the dealer both Kia and Hyundai screw the dealers to such small margines that they tend to cut corners in servicing and warranty work to try and make a profit. .

Hyundai i10 - UPDATE: Water ingress & warranty - AtoB

Thanks for all the replies and advice about the carpets.

They confirm my thoughts that Hyundai should either dry the carpets and underlay out properly, to my satisfaction (i.e no smell, mould, etc.) or replace them completely.

As I'd already begun to notice a strange smell before I discovered the leak I suspect that it'd be more cost efficient for Hyundai to go straight for replacements rather than have the dealer mess about for hours with dehumidifiers, etc.

I'll go back and give the dealer the opportunity to be more accomodating - as I appreciate that in one day finding and fixing the fault is probably the most they can do - otherwise I'll go direct as suggested.

The car's only 22 months old and the interior is otherwise pristine - no kids or pets to mess it up! :-) - so I'm not going to put up with smelly, mouldy carpets because of a fault.

Thanks again.