Bicycle Carriers, which is best? - arnold2

What sort of bike carriers are best? I need to transport 2 bikes, one teenager sized and my adult one, to Devon & back in summer. One option I looked at is the towbar mounted ones, but as I don't have a towbar on my 06 Focus, makes the whole thing pretty expensive!

I have looked at the ones that attach to your rear hatch, but is all that weight good for the hatch itself?

Other option seems to be roof-mounted - does your car get moved around in windy conditions, though?!

Bicycle Carriers, which is best? - cilvilservant

Tow bars are simply the best option, if you can afford it.

The models that attach on the back of the rear hatch, in my opinion, are not very good. They can scrath the paint work or the glass, possibly obscure the rear lights and part of the number plates.

Roof mounted are good, if you can manage to lift the bikes onto the roof and clip on. They do not move in strong winds and do not affect the handling of the car. Just remember you may be restricted on entering some car parks with height restrictions.

Bicycle Carriers, which is best? - davmal

Having tried them all, I would agree with the above. Something to be wary of, and worth checking is that your hatch can take a cycle carrier. My Mazda's rear door was composite, not steel. Roof mounted is OK if you are tall and strong enough, but catching the paintwork on the way up and down is all too easy.

Towbar mounted Pendle rack is my current one and a piece of cake to use. but you would need to spend the extra 120 quid for the towbar :(

Bicycle Carriers, which is best? - Waino

My first bike carrier was a 'hang off the back' type which I used with a Mondeo estate. The bikes never felt too secure - they tended to swivel round and bang into one another to the extent that I had to put in extra padding; also, the number plate was obscured. A friend had a similar device which she hung from the back of her Corsa. When she asked me to check it for her, I pointed out that the top hooks had pulled and distorted the bodywork, creating two small airscoops on the top of her car!

In the end, as I already had a tow-bar fitted, I went for the expensive option and bought an Atera Strada. I have to say that I am very pleased with it - it's easy to use, the bikes are secure, the whole thing is lockable and the number plates/lights are integral to it. The only real downside is the cost of the tow-bar - when I changed vehicles (after 13 years), I had to have a tow-bar fitted to the new car. Having seen mine in action, a friend has fitted a tow-bar to his car and is using a similar Thule carrier. Another friend has bought a cheaper model of the Thule, which I haven't seen yet, but it employs the same priclipal.

In the end, the decision comes down to how often you need to carry bikes and the need to fit a tow-bar to your current - and subsequent, cars. The carrier itself may appear expensive, but it should last for years.

Bicycle Carriers, which is best? - mlj

Mmm... I've got a Pendle strap on carrier: never had a problem. Bikes very stable and no marks on vehicle. Recommended.

Bicycle Carriers, which is best? - Waino

I don't know about the Pendle design, but many 'strap-on' types are used illegally because they obscure the number plate and lights, the driver not bothering to use a tail-board. Most appear to get away with it but, knowing my luck, the police would stop me.

Having said that, I haven't seen so much of this just lately so, maybe the police (who?) are cracking down on it.

Bicycle Carriers, which is best? - badshot
Towbar and Maxxraxx are the best, great value for money, dont damage the car and very tough!