Honda Civic vtec e 1996 - Heater fan kaput! PLEASE HELP - Eclecticanna

Hi guys,

The heater fan on my 1996 Honda Civic is not working - so currently there is no heat being directed into my car either from the heater itself or the engine - making driving in this weather virtually impossible as the windscreen keeps icing up (hence my urgent cry for help above!)

So far I've checked and replaced the relevant fuses in both the interior fuse box, and the main fuse box under the bonnet - but to no joy. (Interesting discussion with my brother ensued yesterday after I/we replaced the under bonnet £10 non-generic outside the Honda dealership: Bro: "U have checked the interior fuse box haven't u?" Me: "Interior fuse box?? Wot interior fuse box?" - bit of a blonde moment there...)

I have a feeling the problem may simply be a loose connection somewhere rather than a blown heater motor as the heater itself has always worked fine but the fan has been a bit intermittant for several months.

Thumping the instrument panel to try and re-establish the connection has not worked, and I don't know how to access the panel, the heater motor or anything else relevant to check further.

Current solution is to use a little supplementary ceramic heat fan running off a separate 12v battery pack, Duck-taping hot water bottles to the dash next to the windscreen and only driving during the brightest and warmest part of the day but obviously this is not practical as anything other than an emergency measure.

A mate of mine who used to drive HGVs said there's a heating device that lorry drivers use that has long heating strips that attaches to the top and bottom of the windscreen, and runs off thru the cigarette lighter but he couldn't remember what it was called, or know where I could get one.

As you can gather I pretty desperate here so any helpful suggestions re: car repair solutions or feasible in-car heating alternatives greatly received.

Thanks for your help - Anna

Honda Civic vtec e 1996 - Heater fan kaput! PLEASE HELP - Collos25

You need to find the heater motor and measure the voltage on the input if their is no voltage then you need to look backwards towards the switchin my opinion you will probably find that the fan motor has gone.

Honda Civic vtec e 1996 - Heater fan kaput! PLEASE HELP - elekie&a/c doctor

Very likely to be the motor faulty as suggested.Access is easy on these.Just drop the glove box forward and you can reach the motor and speed resistor and their wiring.I think you will find the parts similar to Rover 25/45 models.hth

Honda Civic vtec e 1996 - Heater fan kaput! PLEASE HELP - Eclecticanna

Thanks for your help guys. Investigations into the cause of the problem are proceeding along the lines you've very kindly suggested.

I'm also going to try and find a helpful HGV forum/board to see if anyone can help me name & locate a supplier for the elusive HGV-window-heating device - as although the weather here is milder than earlier in the week, making driving easier I'm not convinced it will last...

So thanks again for all your help, I do appreciate it - and if anyone else has any thoughts on possible causes of the problem & /or heating alternatives please do post them!

Thank you - Anna