Van Auction - scam or not? - stainlander

I've been to four recent commercial vehicle auctions at a major and well known auction in Manchester, doing my homework before buying a van. Having made notes at each of these, I've noticed that a significant number of vehicles which have clearly been sold at previous auctions are cropping up again the following week. The vans I'm interested in are from a leasing company and when they re-emerge in the following week's auction, they are still being sold in the name of the same leasing company, so it's not a case of them being re-sold at a quick profit, or being unloaded because they have a major fault. What's going on? My best conspiracy theory is that the leasing company have a tame bidder on site to ensure a minimum price for the vehicles and if this is not reached they "buy" the vehicle and re-enter it in the next week's sale. This would clearly require the co-operation of the Auction company. Or is there a simpler explanation I'm just missing? The vehicles are "sold as seen", where the buyer has no real come-back according to the auction regulations, which seems to exclude the explanation that the buyers are simply rejecting the vehicles as unfit in some way. Any suggestions?

Van Auction - scam or not? - Collos25
You need to do a bit more learning ,just because an auctioneer says sold it does not mean it is more than likely he is just running bids up to catch a punter common practice.
OK, that sort of makes sense. What you're saying is that the auctioneer is effectively working up the price to a point where the "genuine" punters join in. But what confuses me is the fact that the vehicles have clearly been SOLD at the end of the process - a person is seen to emerge from the crowd of bidders/punters and goes over to pay his down-payment. Then the vehicle crops up again next week. As you say, I've clearly still got a bit to learn, but this seems like a form of deception. I could live with a vehicle having a reserve price and not reaching it and going back into the next week's sale, but in the instances I have seen, the bidding is wrapped up with all the indications that it has been sold.
Auctions make the three card trick look simple if you are not in the know you stand to lose a lot of money,to say they are a minefield is a gross understatement.Plenty of people think there is easy to me made believe you me its hard work with long hours and can be the most frustrating of work.
OK, final couple of questions - amid the trickery, do you think there has effectively been a "secret" reserve price on vehicles I've been watching? And what's my bottom line as a beginner at the game - leave it alone and buy from a more traditional source or stick to my budget and be patient?

Stick to your guns and have a word with the autioneer and tell him how much you go to or go to the office once a vehicle has been through an auction once(same auction) its open to offers.

Van Auction - scam or not? - Pat L

Andy, the OP makes a very valid point and your responses are a bit condescending imo.

What the stainlander describes is surely fraudulent?

You may consider it to be fraudulent but I assure its not and it goes on at every auction not only car auctions.Thats why auctions are a minefield if your not in the know.

Van Auction - scam or not? - tmjs
Check the terms and conditions of the auction, it'll probably say something like:

Whether or not there is a reserve price the seller may:-
(1) withdraw a vehicle at any time before the hammer falls;
(2) bid for a vehicle himself or alternatively appoint not more than one other person to bid for it on his behalf.

If that's the case then what happened is not deceptive, even if it seems surprising to you (or me) that it's allowed.

You may be better off buying from a more traditional source. Buying at auction can save you a fair amount of money, but there's some risk involved and quite a lot of hard work too. I got my brother to buy me a car at auction, took about 6 attempts - I wouldn't have had the time and the patience if I was doing it myself.
Van Auction - scam or not? - Roly93

I gave up with auctions years ago, far too much 'shill' bidding going on like you say..

I am sorry if it sounds condescending but thats the way auctions are and you have to be very careful.

Van Auction - scam or not? - daveyK_UK

When I use to attend auctions with the head salesman/buyer it astounded me how much he was 'in the know'.

Certain vendor sales where totally avoided despite having the stock we where after; other vendors he was more than happy to bid on as they where 'fair game' as he put it.

BCA seemed to have the least number of 'vendors' to avoid from memory, Mainheim was 'different' while the local auctions where avoided like the plague unless they where having an invite only sale.

I would still reccomend buying at auction if you know what your looking for,;if your after a commercial vehicle, British gas use to sell their end of line fleet direct to the public at a reasonable price.

Van Auction - scam or not? - bathtub tom

>>British gas use to sell their end of line fleet direct to the public at a reasonable price.

I've delivered some of those to auction. On one memorable occasion, eight of us left, but only six arrived. I've driven two identical vans, one felt awful and drank diesel, whereas the other was completely different, even in the suspension.

Pot luck?

Van Auction - scam or not? - SteveLee
This mostly happens when the auctioneer is "ghost bidding" on the item to push up the price and then coming unstuck when his ghost wins the bid. These will often be attributed to a mystery "Mr P" or "Mr X". Of course some frequent traders will have such nicknames so they don't have to sign for each purchase in turn.

Of course some cars are often bought on Tuesdays/Thursdays and then re-entered on Saturday when the general public turn up to overbid on everything. I made a living for a year in the '80s doing just that. Profits on car sales without having to run a site or even as much as touch the car more than momentarily - it must still go on today.