Mitsubishi Carisma - Auto Trader Scam ( beware) - cybermaf

I recently advertised my Mitsubishi in Auto Trader for my car to appear in the magazine and the internet. I was contacted by a person who claimed to want buy the car for the full price for his son and he would arrange for a courier to come down to pick the car up. I agreed and asked how he would like to pay for the car? He wanted to use Paypal and sometime later a e-mail came through to me that he had paid in full and I should receive confirmation shortly. The Paypal e-mail followed with all the correct logos and type face, saying the funds had been withheld until a £300.00 fee payable to a guy in Liverpool would have to be made before the transaction could go through. I smelt a rat straight away, the Paypal e-mail was from someone c/o Paypal in the address line and the whole thing was a scam to get a fee before disappearing into the night.

Auto Trader is becoming a popular hunting ground for scams and this one was a bit pathetic to say the least. If you are selling your car through Auto Trader just make sure if someone offers a Paypal method of payment check your account with them before doing anything else. E-mails saying the funds are there just might be fake.

Mitsubishi Carisma - Auto Trader Scam ( beware) - a900ss

Call me old fashioned but cash on collection for me. Nothing beats 'folding' and can't be clawed back by banks or paypal.

Mitsubishi Carisma - Auto Trader Scam ( beware) - Collos25

The problem with cash is that there are to many good forged notes about but you make a good point about the banks clawing money back..

Mitsubishi Carisma - Auto Trader Scam ( beware) - madf

Sorry but Paypal are a NOGO area on car sales.

The buyer can get Paypal to refund him if he claims there is a fault - and you can do little to stop it.

And a really unscrupulous buyer can hack your account if you are careless. or unlucky .

So you can end up sans car and money... and a false buyer name with an empty Paypal address.

Strangley, many start in Liverpool...

Been there, had it done for £hundreds (PC not car), got my money back.. But hassle.

(and a Livepudlian as well)

Edited by madf on 05/11/2010 at 17:03

Mitsubishi Carisma - Auto Trader Scam ( beware) - tony g

Ref the payment issue,

im a small time car dealer and regularly take in cash.about 4 years ago i took two thousand pounds to my local bank, included in which were a couple of forged twenties.the bank seized them .b***** annoying. i had no idea.

They were watermarked and had a broken foil strip.

that same day i bought from e bay, for £20, an ultra violet forged note detector.its battery operated and is simple to use.forged notes show a bright reflection ,proper bank notes dont reflect the light and remain dull.

Since then i reckon that i have saved about two hundred pounds a year by picking out the forgeries. ive not had any more notes confiscated by the bank.

i beleive that 99% of my buyers dont know they are offering forged notes ,the really worrying thing is that on 4 occasions i have found forged notes that i firmly beleive my customer has collected from his bank to pay me with.

i understand banks rely on the tellers being able to detect forgeries by feel and dont check notes by ultra violet light.

so ,until the forgers find a way to stop ultra violet reflecting off thier notes ,which they surely will , i recommend any one who has to take in cash to use one of these detectors.

tony g