206 Gearbox Woes - DenisO
Help and advice required.
My little soldier has a 1999 S 1.4 GLX with 22,000 miles under it's belt and a full main dealer history. Last Thursday the gearbox threw a wobbly and now it requires a new unit.
Peugeot UK are offering between 30%-50% of the replacement cost of the parts only. New gearbox is 1300 and 250 labour.
My view is I go after them for 80% on the basis that a gearbox should reasonably last 100,000 miles as a minimum.
Anybody else had any similar experience and can profer any help. The vehicle is not under warranty any more.
PSA Gearbox Tale - lezebre
Junior's Saxo Vtr had the transmission fail at a similar mileage. I was against him signing up for a year old (and perfect) car and then learning to drive in it. But he insisted, and had SWMBO to back him up. Not once but twice he kangarood up our 1 in 6 hill after erroneously changing into third, and I thought was very slow to respond to my instruction to stop! stop now! stop!! It rapidly developed backlash and I took it to a Citroen dealer who more or less said 'they're all like that'.
Subsequently, after he had his licence under his belt, the output side of the transmission sheared while he was doing a timed 0 - 60, necessitating a new gearbox.
Oh for a dual control clutch.
PSA Gearbox Tale - Ben79
I think the MA gearbox fitted to the 1.1, 1.4 and 1.6 engines are often poor. (I've owned a few). The new ones seem better. From what I have read on groups.yahoo.com/group/saxo-owners/ about several low mileage gearbox failures on 1999 and 2000 model cars.

My own 1.1 Saxo (year 2000) had a notchy gearbox from new, dealer said it would get smoother, but it got far worse. Bad enough for a reconditioned gearbox and then a subsequent replacement as the recon one was no better.

Ben
206 Gearbox Woes - pusspoo
I've got a year old 307 1.6 Raiper, had it since brand new, and in 18500 miles of motorway use, I've needed 2 new gearboxs, and this second replacement has had a new 5th gear fitted 3 weeks ago, but is still way too noisy at idle, Peugeot Dealer seems a bit a deaf to this, not buying a Peugeot ever!
206 Gearbox Woes - T Lucas
I used to think Italian cars were the worst pieces of junk you could ever buy,ok i was wrong those French cars are now so bad they make Alfas seem well built.
206 Gearbox Woes-Update - DenisO
Well the final offer from Peugeot was 30% against a new box at just under £2k, same 30% on a recon at £1.6k or overhaul at £1k so feeling totally annoyed I went a different route.
Bought a second hand box with warranty from a scrappy and fitted it with new clutch and the car is running sweet as a nut.
The old box had bits of metal trying to escape from the box into the diff which was causing the problem and the clutch plate was breaking down and rather blue. When will these lads learn not to drive like Jensen Button.
Total job was £600; a lot of money but significantly cheaper than Peugeot with their pathetic discount.
206 Gearbox Woes-Update - blank
I suspect when they are made to do, or pay for their own car maintenance, or use the bus.

Or am I missing something here?

Andy
206 Gearbox Woes-Update - DenisO
Missed by a country mile Andy.
He will pay for the repair albeit over a period of time. Trainee Chef's aren't exactly overflowing with cash you know. He does a lot of his own maintenance although after many years and reasonable experience with vehicle mechanics the gearbox is still a complete mystery to me.
He has in fact used a push bike in the week his car has been off the road.
What draconian regime did you live under!!!!!