hire car damages - concrete

Here is tricky one, I hope that LucyBC can help me out. My daughter recently had a hire car from her employer whilst waiting for her new car to arrive. The car, a Vauxhall Insignia developed a cracked windscreen, When and how we don't know, she only noticed it when my wife pointed it out. Anyway, the car went off hire and she collected her new car. 4 weeks after this she decided to leave. Her employer deducted over £500 from her final salary to pay for 'damage and valeting' of the hire car. The damage was unspecified. She accepts that the car may have needed a valet because she has a dog, but apart from that she states the car was in the same condition as when she received it, the cracked screen may have been present then, we don't know. Surely a windscreen is covered by insurance? Despite several requests for documentation and or photographs to substantiate their claim she has been ignored. Surely a car hire company would document and usually photograph any damage to the value of £500. I think the employer is being b***** minded because she left. Today we sent a recorded delivery letter requesting the information within 14 days, very politely, no threats. But what do we do, if as I suspect he just ignores us? Any sensible suggestion please. Concrete

hire car damages - LucyBC

Firstly it depends who hired the car and how the collision damage waiver was set up.

Secondly some companies do have terms in their contracts which provide for deductions for damage and condition for company car drivers.

She needs to check the documentation from the hirer and then any employment policy the company have with regard to company cars which would probably become part of her contract of employment.

hire car damages - bonzo dog

Am I correct in saying that unless the employee has such terms regarding damage & the likes expressly written into (or as an amendment to) her contract, that these deductions are illegal as "unauthorised deductions"?

Or am I just trying to appear smarter than I really am?

hire car damages - LucyBC

I would argue that responsibility would have to be expressly written into the terms and conditions and what is more that the driver would probably have to be at fault or negligent in some way.

hire car damages - concrete

Thanks Lucy. I am going to check her contract today. The company hired the car for her to use and I have requested all the documentation from them regarding the hire agreement. A slow process, but over £500 is worth pursuing. I will keep you informed. Thanks for other comment too, all useful for thought. Concrete