2001 fiesta 1.8tdi (DI engine) - wont start after replacing fuel tank. - daniel_johno

I have replaced the diesel fuel tank in a mk5 fiesta TDi as it had a hole it and failed the MOT.

The fiesta is now refusing to start. I tried to bleed the fuel system by filling the fuel filter with diesel and loosened the injectors nuts one at a time while turning he engine over to try get all the air out. The engine will start after turning over for a while but then immediately cuts out. I have tried this over and over again but it continues to start then cut out. I have noticed that after trying to start the engine that the fuel filter is empty of diesel and needs to be refilled. Could this be caused by an air lock in the fuel line and is there a way to sort this? I put 2 gallons of fuel in the new tank so am assuming this is enough to reach the fuel line.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Daniel

2001 fiesta 1.8tdi (DI engine) - wont start after replacing fuel tank. - Peter.N.

I would say you almost certainly have air in the fuel system, you probably have a leak somewhere, connect a length of clear plastic tube betwen the pump and filter then you can watch your progress in finding the leak. If its only happened since the tank was fitted and nothing else has been disturbed, it could be where the pipe is fitted to the tank unit. It could of course be caused by a blockage, try blowing some air back down the fuel pipe from the engine end and see if you can hear it bubbling in the tank. I suppose you have'nt got the feed and return lines swapped over?