Toyota Auris - Handbrake problems - Carl2

Anyone heard of problems with Auris handbrakes? My sister in law parked her Year old Auris on a slope yesterday (in neutral. Yes we all know it should be left in gear). returned to her car to find it had rolled into a gate and stoved in the front wing. She has no problem putting the brake on. Straw poll of nosey neighbours concluded "ah yes thats because the discs were hot when parked and the pressure eased off when they cooled down" Is it feasable in this day and age that a handbrake could really be so unreliable? didn't some cars have (may still have) a miniture set of shoes in the hub so this would not happen?

Toyota Auris - Handbrake problems - Peter.N.

It is a common problem, on the one occaision that I parked my Citroen XM on a slope without leaving it in gear it ran away. Discs do contract as they cool, probably 99 times out of 100 you will get away with it but a combination of circumstances can cause this - always leave it in gear.

Toyota Auris - Handbrake problems - Carl2

Wasn,t the suspension" relaxing down" thought to play a large part in this problem with Citroens? Can a handbrake be classified as not fit for purpose if it goes from holding a car to letting it roll away?