Ford Focus - C1288 Faulty ABS/ESP - angryman

Apologies if there is already a post about the dreaded ESP fault on the Ford Focus on here, I couldn't find any.

Dashboard message "ESP system fault" diagnosed with DTC C1288 -Faulty Pressure Sensor. Repair requires a replacement ABS "pump" for the princely sum of £1300. Fortunately I was aware of this fault (and repair cost) across a number of VW brands, thanks to this forum. Otherwise, I probably would have hit the roof when they told me!
I have absolutely no intention of letting Ford get away with this. It's just under 4 years old.

The service manager claimed that he has only seen a "couple of faulty ABS pumps" in his 10 years of service. He said that the part was a factory order, and wasn't available from the local parts distribution centre, implying that this wasn't a common fault. After that enlightening conversation, I checked with the local Ford parts supplier. Of course, ABS pump is available next day from the local distribution centre. So, by the service manager's logic, it is a common fault. By my logic, it's a common fault and the service manager is a liar.

Rant over. I'm unsure if this is the notorious Teves MK 60, is it? Has anyone else had any experience with this on their Ford?
Thanks,

Edited by angryman on 27/05/2010 at 22:15

Ford Focus - C1288 Faulty ABS/ESP - angryman

I've found some more info on a German website about the fault on www.fordfehler.de/ (Translated Link: translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=fordfehler.de)

Interestingly Honest John has written yet another article in the telegraph about the fault on VW vehicles: www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/...l.

I think it is absolutely disgusting the way these car manufacturers are treating us.

Edited by angryman on 29/05/2010 at 14:35

Ford Focus - C1288 Faulty ABS/ESP - WNP

I have the same problem on a 2006 ST3 Focus - my dealer has fitted 10 replacement ESP/ABS blocks on these cars in the last few months - yes there is a problem with the internal sensor and Ford need to be made aware that customers shouldnn't pay for defective designed parts that Ford source from ATE. I suggest you contact Ford UK and ask for some financial help on this....

Ford Focus - C1288 Faulty ABS/ESP - mahusive

Hmmm, I just had to double check it wasn't my name at the bottom of the above post as I had exactly the same problem. Our's is a Focus C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCi, Sept 06 and was bought new by us from Bristol Street Motors.

The car has been serviced at a Ford Main Dealer here on the Isle of Man. The ESP System Fault showed up on the dash accompanied by a warning bong upon starting the car. When the car was put in for its 3rd year service they delivered the news that the fault had been traced to the ABS pump and replacement would be around £1300.

After spending nearly £300 on a service this was not good news. Did I mention that the car was only 3 years old and just out of warranty.

After numerous, chase your tail phone calls, Ford UK eventually agreed to meet 30% of the final bill.

Apparently, this is not an unusual fault by any means. It took 3 weeks to source the correct part and we had to meet the cost of a rental car for the duration of the work.

Our family have run Ford vehicles for commercial and personal use for over 40 years but this will be the last Ford vehicle we will purchase.

In short, if you are thinking of buying a car with an ABS or ESP fault please be aware that this isn't just appertaining to the Focus or indeed just Fords. There is a good chance it won't be a simple or cheap fix.

Ford Focus - C1288 Faulty ABS/ESP - unthrottled
In short, if you are thinking of buying a car with an ABS or ESP fault please be aware that this isn't just appertaining to the Focus or indeed just Fords. There is a good chance it won't be a simple or cheap fix.

Good point. Thanks to over zealous european legislation, ALL new cars must be fitted with ABS and ESP whether or not the customer wants it. And they must be functional for the MOT.

Safety devices are never a substitute for careful driving-the laws of physics cannot be violated. Unfortunately, electronic wizardry can instil an entirely false sense of invincibilty.