Smart Roadster - Bioethanol E5 and octane rating question / concern - CorkyNat

Hey everyone! I was advised to try a post here by a friend of mine. Sorry to jump right in and abuse your kindness and hospitality, I will be sure to stick around though! :)

Please help! I have had many conflicting stories and information given to me on this and need help / knowlegeable folk. Searching around has only further muddied the waters so to speak.

I have a 2004 Smart roadster that can only use higher Octane unleaded (like 98RON) in as stated by the manufacturer.

I recently moved to the republic of Ireland (work re-location) and no where at all now sells the higher octane unleaded juice that my car needs!

I do not yet wish to sell my roadster and as such the only two options I have been offered are additives (expensive and a pain to carry around and add them at fill ups) or a new fuel called Bioethanol E5.

Apparently this is equivalent to 99RON octane fuel and can be safely used in normal cars. I have also been told that this, however, will not suit my particular car. I also hear it would wear any rubber parts it comes into contact with very quickly.

On my searches and quest for information I could find no reliable information on this or any independant tests / validity of any possible octane rating (or equivalent).

Asking the company is unlikely to be the best way as they would just advise that it 'COULD' be safely used but are unlikely to disclose any potential issues / concerns, right?

Should I risk it and just run it? Run normal unleaded and hope it does no damage despite the manufactures advice? I don't want a car with no engine :(

The fuel in question is from a company called Maxol by the way - www.maxol.ie/maxol-bioethanol-e5.html - sadly no garage does the higher octane here now not even esso, texaco or shell :(

*confused look* Help!

Thanks so much, and please forgive any spelling errors. I'd love to say they were intentional in my ramblings but alas truth is I miss my spell checker, have no dictionary to hand and its very late, sorry!

Nat