Furniture - Cleaning Dining Table - romeo156

I Have a veneer dining table that needs cleaning. I remember the shop saying that we should not use polish on it, but do you know if I can use Bees Wax on it.

Furniture - Cleaning Dining Table - Clk Sec

My wife has just started using Lord Sheraton Pure Beeseax Balsam (original formula) on some of our pine furniture, and she says it's very good.

The label states 'Suitable for all wooden furniture including fine, antique and French polished'.

Clk Sec

Furniture - Cleaning Dining Table - M.M

Important to know what you mean by veneer. Priceless Georgian mahogany, a middle aged plywood type finished in wood veneer or a modern sealed water resistant veneer? And do you mean polish to get a shine or clean some dirt from it?

Furniture - Cleaning Dining Table - Falkirk Bairn

To clean off table add some vinegar to a bowl of water and wipe - the vinegar cleans off grease / marks and leaves the table ready to be polished if that is what you want to do.

Furniture - Cleaning Dining Table - apres

First of all avoid leaving fabrics, such as vinyl table cloths, on the table when the table is not being used. Moisture can collect beneath these and damage the table's finish. You can also visit this website for house and home maintenance.

Furniture - Cleaning Dining Table - xindigo

I'm on the search for a new dining table and was wondering if anyone could help:

What is the best type of table to go for in regards of low maintenance? Wood? Glass?

I'd be greatful for any tips. :)

Furniture - Cleaning Dining Table - focussed

I'm on the search for a new dining table and was wondering if anyone could help:

What is the best type of table to go for in regards of low maintenance? Wood? Glass?

I'd be greatful for any tips. :)

Having owned a great variety of furniture during our married life, my wife and I recently moved to France, so had an opportunity (excuse?) to get rid of what we had accumulated and start afresh. We chose solid light oak with a wax finish-no chipboard, veneer,plastic, plywood or or fancy varnished finishes. If you have a major accident with it you can merely sand it and re-wax with beeswax.

After three years it has not required any maintenance apart from dusting and the tin of beeswax furniture wax has stayed in the cupboard. Even a red wine spill that laid undiscovered on the dining room table for 24 hours (don't ask!) didn't stain it.

The downsides? None really except that it's incredibly heavy but that's quality-the cost? not any more than the veneered chipboard rubbish.

Furniture - Cleaning Dining Table - Happy Blue!

We have a glass dining table which we use with a tablecloth, simply to stop the noise when people place things on the table. Its very heavy, but a simply spray keeps it clean.

Furniture - Cleaning Dining Table - gordonbennet

Agree with Focussed, you can't beat real hardwood, buy good wood you only buy it once, if it gets stained or slightly damaged it can be refinished, if you even look at veneered chipboard in a funny accent its scrap.

Make sure you have the funds to employ professional removals should you move though, the furniture seems nailed down such is the weight.

Furniture - Cleaning Dining Table - focussed

Agree with Focussed, you can't beat real hardwood, buy good wood you only buy it once, if it gets stained or slightly damaged it can be refinished, if you even look at veneered chipboard in a funny accent its scrap.

Make sure you have the funds to employ professional removals should you move though, the furniture seems nailed down such is the weight.

Agree with you there about the weight- so would the removal company that moved us over, the truck was 2.5 tonnes overweight and burst a tyre on the autoroute!

Furniture - Cleaning Dining Table - Sophia

I've used Pledge and some other brands of wood cleaner. After a day or so my wood furniture always looks like there are slick spots. Some areas look dry and others look like there is a concentration of oil sitting on top. I always make sure to use two different cloths while polishing, one to apply the polish, one to buff the furniture clean. What am I doing wrong or should I use a better polish?

Edited by Avant on 27/11/2012 at 22:30

Furniture - Cleaning Dining Table - joseph j

Cleaning a wooden dining table needs an entirely different approach from cleaning a glass one. You can clean it with a wood cleaner or a wood conditioner using a clean cloth. Doing it twice a year will help your dining table retain its glossy finish for long. The use of wood conditioner should be limited to twice a year, while it is important to dust the dining table once a week.

Edited by joseph j on 10/12/2012 at 06:16