Computer Related Questions-Volume 213 - BorisTheSpider

this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details terms and conditions)

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 213. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by HJ publisher on 19/03/2010 at 12:02

Outlook Express - 007

I should have asked my questions (as below) in this folder, not elsewhere as I did yesterday.

(1) Can the 'Request Read Receipt' tag be set as default in Outlook Express program or does it have to be selected each time one sends an e-mail?

(2) My Outlook Express program is so full of messages that it is asking me if I will allow it to compact the folders. Will I notice any difference if I say o.k. to this request? Will I loose anything? Will it speed-up the time it takes to open (at the moment it talks ages)?

TIA

Outlook Express - BorisTheSpider

(1) See http://tinyurl.com/ReadReceipt for a tutorial, please note on later versions of Outlook on the recipient machine automatically asks you if you want to send back that have read it, this can come across as someone doesn’t trust you and therefore a bit rude depending on the situation.

(2) See http://tinyurl.com/CompactingInOutlook , should be fine to compact the folders, the link should answer any questions on the topic.

Boris

Edited by BorisTheSpider on 09/04/2010 at 21:15

Outlook Express - 007

Thank-you, Boris, for those very interesting and helpful links. I'm glad I asked!

Lap Top Hard drive(s) Problem - Armitage Shanks {p}

I have an oldish laptop with a partitioned hard drive, roughly 100gb and 15gb. The 100 is getting too full; can I shift files, including OS stuff, from one to other to make things better or might I lose funcionality? The 100 gb drive is showing a red bar when I look at "My Computer". Thanks

Lap Top Hard drive(s) Problem - rtj70

You can move documents etc to another drive but do not move anything under Program Files or Windows. You cannot move operating system files or applications and expect them to work.

You may find the 15Gb partition is there for emergency rebuild of the system and contains the necessary files to rebuild the machine. Can you not delete unwanted files or move them to external storage?

Lap Top Hard drive(s) and Tired battery Problem - Armitage Shanks {p}

Thanks RTJ70. The smaller partition is meant for back-ups I think. I have transferred all my pictures and music onto an external drive, and main partition sector is now 10Gb more space and not showing in red! A result - thank you.

Follow on problem, the battery is getting VERY tired and only lasts about 40 minutes. A leading supplier of replacement batteries cannot locate one. When I looked on line I was staggered by the number of different batteries used by just one maker - is there no standardisation at all?

Lap Top Hard drive(s) and Tired battery Problem - rtj70

>> is there no standardisation at all?

No.

The problem partly stems from using the laptop plugged into the mains so the battery does not run partly flat and then gets recharged. It also has an impact if you let it totally run flat before charging.

Make sure you have a secure backup of your data. I now have a mirrored RAID1 external server with my data. You can never be too safe. And I backup that to an external USB drive - well I will.