Citroen C5 - Battery run down by 12v socket? - Steve001

I recently lent a friend my '02 Citroen C5, Petrol, to be driven on a long journey to Scotland. The 12V socket had an ipod plugged into it and after about 45 min of driving it refused to go above 35mph and eventually the battery light came on. Once the ipod was unplugged everything worked ok again?

Am I right in thinking the alternator should be charging the battery while the car is moving? Is this normal that this should affect the car?

CHEERS

Citroen C5 - Battery run down by 12v socket? - Peter.N.

I can't see why an ipod should have any effect on the electrics at all, the power consumption is minimal. I think that this was just a coincidence, if the battery light came on that indicates that the alternator is faulty. The ipod only uses a few thousandths of an amp, the alternator can supply upwards of 100 amps. To run the battery down in 45 minutes wold require a discharge of of 50 amps or more which would result in a considerable ammount of heat - if not smoke and flames.

Citroen C5 - Battery run down by 12v socket? - rtj70

Something sounds wrong with the car. The iPod will draw very little current. My iPod touch needs and draws 500mA.

Citroen C5 - Battery run down by 12v socket? - Altea Ego

The car went in to "limp home" mode. Its has some kind of engine or eengine management fault.

I bet you stopped and turned off the car and then unpluggd the ipod. It was the turning off the engine that cleared it, not unplugging the ipod.

The fault will come back, (even with the ipod unlugged)