00 1.8 Engine oil level - Focus_Driver
My engine oil was changed yesterday but its about 4mm above the max mark. It was 8mm above but I drained some out today though its still 4mm above. Does this matter? I've driven it a few miles and there don't appear to be any problems.
00 1.8 Engine oil level - Galaxy
No, it doesn't.

By the way, don't forget to check with car on a level surface and not before 5 minutes after turning off engine.
Thanks.
00 1.8 Engine oil level - Peter.N.
Keep an eye on it though, its just possible that fuel is getting into the sump which could have disasterous consequences if it thins the oil to much - if its diesel of course.

Edited by Peter.N. on 11/02/2010 at 21:53

Its a 1.8 petrol. I had a tdci before and it should be interesting to see how long before the oil gets black. In the tdci it was about a week, in my brothers clio dci it was almost immediately.

I wonder, for a petrol car does the length of time it takes for the oil to go black give an indication of how healthy or clean the engine is?
00 1.8 Engine oil level - Peter.N.
Diesels used to blacken the oil very quickly because of the high soot level in combustion, but as they are improving in efficiency the oil is staying cleaner longer. The Perkins diesels I drove in years past needed an oil change every 2,000 miles!, if you left it much longer nothing came out when you removed the sump plug, I used to pour half a pint of diesel into the engine just before changes so the oil would run out.

Petrol engines are cleaner burning, not because they are more efficient but because the fuel is much more refined and therefore cleaner, as the engine wears the oil can get dirty quicker so it can if the engine is running over rich, so I wouldn't set to much store by it.

Back to your original problem, there is not much likelyhood of petrol getting into the sump so I think it must just have been a checking error.