02 1.6 High speed vibes - willow
Hi. I have noticed at between 75 - 80mph that my car has developed a vibration which is felt through the floor and the seat of my pants. When it dips under 75 it runs smoothly. The car has done 89000 miles.
02 1.6 High speed vibes - Peter D
It could be a front wheel bearing. Does it make a noise and if so can you describe it. Does it stop if you dip the clutch and take the throttle off. Long shot, the exhaust heat sheild or under tray has come loose and is vibrating in the wind, that's why is does not no it until you are going fast enough. Regards Peter
02 1.6 High speed vibes - Tommk4
More likely to just need the wheels re-balancing, one of the weights may have come off...Have a look at the wheels and you might even be able to see a less dirty patch where one has been.
02 1.6 High speed vibes - Tommk4
Also, If it was a wheel bearing it would do it at all speeds.
Thanks guys. Have only recently had the front tyres replaced but the vibe was there before, so weights can't be the problem. Guess it's off to the dealer to exchange some more money.
02 1.6 High speed vibes - galileo
Thanks guys. Have only recently had the front tyres replaced but the vibe was there
before so weights can't be the problem.

>
The vibration can be from out of balance rear wheels - have you had them checked?

Hi Peter D

Vibration still there at between 70-80mph.

Also have noticed when depressing the clutch that the noise (humming from under the car) goes away. It is more noticable when taking left hand bends.

Seems the left hand drive shaft is on the way out according to my dealer. But he wont take my money (yep! that is unusual) because he says it is borderline. Well at least I know now.