Computer Related Questions-Volume 208 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 209 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 208. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/01/2010 at 17:55

How to repartition a disk (Linux maybe) - smokie
I've spent hours, nay, days trying to replace a 1Tb drive in a Western Digital My Book World Edition with e 2Tb WD drive from a regular My Book USB. I've given up for now as I need to get on with my life...

However I've managed to somehow put a partition on the 2Tb which is restricting the size. I mounted the disk under XP and formatted it, and it looked like it was formatted to it's full capacity. But when I mount it as a drive (in diskmgmt.msc) it just shows a 300mb Linux (ext3) partition which I created at some stage prior to XP format. Under Linux it says it has no valid partition table.

I'd like to format the whole disk as one big HPFS/NFS partition* (so I can use it as an external drive). It mounts in Linux (which is running on the external hard drive) as /dev/sdb. I've had a few abortive attempts, so can someone help me with the actual commands I need to do to achieve this please?

* That's what fdisk -l reports it as on a working disk.

Edited by smokie on 18/01/2010 at 13:27

How to repartition a disk (Linux maybe) - SpamCan61 {P}
Not a direct answer to your question but I've found easeus partition master very useful for this sort of exercise in XP, not sure it does anything you can't do via diskmgmt but a nicer GUI IMHO:-

tinyurl.com/p2yvfd

Pc anygood? - janliv18
Is this pc anygood? Its replacing a 10 year old dell i have. Will be used by my mother with MS Office 2007 for basic word processing and the odd bit of Excel. No internet or games etc.
Is the Atom processor up to the job for this task?

thanks

www.ebuyer.com/product/161640
Pc anygood? - Falkirk Bairn
Spec will run what you want.

However would you not be better investing in a Brand - Dell/Acer etc
Guaranteed to be engineered and not made from bits and pieces.
Pc anygood? - SpamCan61 {P}
My Atom powered netbook would be up to the task, but I think these Argos 'refurb' systems are far better value, dual core Intel processor, Vista Home Premium etc. for 200 quid:-

tinyurl.com/yc5gby4

Pc anygood? - janliv18
This one any better?
bit.ly/6LM57O
Pc anygood? - SpamCan61 {P}
The Argos one has a better processor and a 12month warranty rather than the 30 days on the Acer, plus the Argos one is in stock.

eBuyer used to do a dual core basic system for 200 quid,but it seems to have been replaced by that bloomin' Atom based system at the same price.
Apple MacBook to TV link - Pugugly
Linking the Mac to the telly is simple - Firewire to DVi adaptor then direct into HDMI socket - trouble is the sound only works from the computer speakers - there is no option under the "sound" menu on the computer. Any ideas ?

Edited by rtj70 on 18/01/2010 at 16:50

Apple MacBook to TV link - rtj70
I would think you'd get an adapter from the Mini Displayport to HDMI for a Mac. Firewire has nothing to do with TV out.

I think the lead you need would connect would be something like this:

www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-DisplayPort-adapter-cable-N...t®/dp/B002ERBFYM

But that does sound so ought to work.
Just read the footnote to the link I gave:

*** IMPORTANT NOTE ::: APPLE Computers do NOT currently support audio over DisplayPort ... video only ***

So you need to get audio out via the 3.5mm audio jack I guess. Poor design.
Apple MacBook to TV link - SpamCan61 {P}
>
So you need to get audio out via the 3.5mm audio jack I guess. Poor
design.

I was just thinking that. So somehow the TV has to select digital video from a HDMI port and synchronise it ( hopefully) with analogue audio from a different source. sounds tricky!
There's probably a cable that does this for you though. i.e. 3.5mm audio plus mini-DisplayPort to HDMI.

But DisplayPort (unlike DVI) does carry sound.
That probably explains it - it is a min port connection with a DVI socket on the other end - I bought a HDMI converter to plug it into the telly - result is an excellent picture on iPlayer but no sound from the telly - there are plenty of inputs on the telly (more than you can shake an USB stick at in fact) for me come up with a solution from there on - thought it mmay have been a software switch that needed enabling somewhere. No worries will sort it out with a 3.5 to a phono or similar.
Some TVs may not accept/use a 3.5mm analogue audio input if digital HDMI is being used.

I wonder how Apple TV's connect to a TV then. They probably have mini DisplayPort too.
A few ideas in this thread:-

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=975994
I can always connect to my Hi-Fi which now lives under the telly - TEAC has a HDMI out as well - mmmm more experimenting called for.

Edit - Just pondering what neat solution HDMI connections are compared to the truly awful SCARTs.

Edited by Pugugly on 18/01/2010 at 17:52

Apple MacBook to TV link - bell boy
whats wrong with scarts?
ive got a nest of them behind my goggle box
i also use single phono leads for the digital sound from digi box to hifi and from dvd to hifi,
why buy expensive gas filled leads when old japanese pioneer ones from 1974 are just as good once you clean the green off the ends
whats wrong with scarts?

SCARTs don't carry high definition signals for a start.
Apple MacBook to TV link - Altea Ego
Its the oly plug I know designed to fall out under the slightest tension on the cable
Its the oly plug I know designed to fall out under the slightest tension on
the cable

Oh yes! I was trying to copy some programmes off the PVR onto DVD via component video this morning, this involved endless re-configuring of the rat's nest of SCARTs behind the TV. Took about an hour to get the whole lot working again :-/. In the end I couldn't do the transfer anyway because the lead I had been sold as SCART -> component video was actually SCART -> composite video. Time to get the soldering iron out and DIY.
clipboard - freddy1
i have a wiring scetch in acrobat reader format , i can save this to the clipbaord , but is there anyway to save this as a Jpeg or BMP (or even word) file?

clipboard - SpamCan61 {P}
Some photo editing programmes will import pdf and save as jpg, including ( unsurpisingly) Photoshop. Cheap alternative - if it gives good enough resolution - is to display the sketch on screen and do a screen grab ( press ALT GR and prnt scrn together) and then paste this into any old image editing software ( MS paint will do) and then save this as a jpg.
clipboard - freddy1
thank you , very few progs installed on this machine , can you suggest a small freely available downloader one , that can read *.clp files , and save as a bmp/jpeg
clipboard - JH
.clp is your clipboard file...? Just use "CTRL" and "V" together to paste into absolutely anything. Paint (see under accessories) will save as BMP or JPEG.

JH
clipboard - freddy1
many thanks , sorted, saved and emailed

thanks

freddy
Anyone know of a Yahtzee programme? - Waino
Many years ago, we used to spend hours playing a very simple but effective version of Yahtzee on the computer. It was on one of our early pcs and I'm sure it was a 'shareware' programme.

I just wonder if anyone could recommend a decent free (i.e. not trial) version currently available.

Cheers
Boolean Search - Nsar
Anyone know their stuff on creating boolean search strings. I have googled it and have a coupe of how-to guides but looking for help on creating quite sophisticated strings.

Thanks
Boolean Search - maz64
Anyone know their stuff on creating boolean search strings.

I'm not sure if I can help, but I'm intrigued - is this for database work? What sort of search are you wanting to perform?
Boolean Search - rtj70
www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=...1

But if you don't understand this then I am sure one of us on here can help more.

What are you searching for. I have assumed an Internet search and Focus a database search but both closely related for fairly obvious reasons. You are looking to combine search criteria using Boolean logic.
Boolean Search - rtj70
In fact this ought to be in the computer thread though..... about to move it shortly.
Datawind Ubisurfer Netbook - anyone got one? - Caveman
I've seen the reviews, demonstrations on Ideal World, etc, but has anyone had any real time experience with a Ubisurfer?

Is the GPRS connection really as fast as they say to do most web surfing? Obviously in a Wi-Fi hot spot area or at home it won't be a problem, but the main selling point of this product is the freedom of using it almost anywhere with minimal running costs.

Thanks.
Warning - Avast! update -> PC reboots - maz64
Just updated it on the XP Pro desktop from 4.8x to 5.0.377, and the PC rebooted just after logging in, every time.

Had to boot in safe mode, uninstall, and am now running AVG.

So if anyone else's suddenly PC starts rebooting, and they're running Avast!...

Anyone on 5.0.377 and running ok?
Warning - Avast! update -> PC reboots - Stuartli
>>Anyone on 5.0.377 and running ok?>>

Yes, since it was launched a couple of days ago. I did Disable the P2P and IM Shield protection as they are not required.
I did Disable the P2P and IM Shield protection as they are not required.

Unfortunately I couldn't try fiddling around with the settings because it kept rebooting!
Warning - Avast! update -> PC reboots - bell boy
avast working fine here
of course i renew it each 60 days rather than giving an email address
avast working fine here

5.0.377?

Edited by Focus {P} on 21/01/2010 at 17:54

Warning - Avast! update -> PC reboots - crunch_time
Working fine here.

Restart after install was slow, but everything since normal.

Working fine here.

Mmmm... must be me then. Strange. Thanks for the feedback.
Warning - Avast! update -> PC reboots - Stuartli
??of course i renew it each 60 days rather than giving an email address>>

How do you do that without registration? Reinstall it?

I've never had any unwanted e-mails as a result of registering with avast.com and that involves a period of several years.

Actually the requirement for registration and a year's free licence is now 30 days:

www.avast.com/en-gb/registration-free-antivirus.php
Warning - Avast! update -> PC reboots - malteser
I found Avast! 5 with all engines installed & working did slow down web surfing.
I had been running MSE and the difference was noticeable.
I re-installed Avast!, but only the File System Shield and Behaviour shield, (I use Gmail's POP & SMPT servers with Thunderbird, so as they are SSL, mail scanning is not possible, anyway).
This gives roughly the same active protection as MSE and restored web browsing speed.
There is a better level of control with Avast! and you can set it to update at an interval of your choice, unlike MSE.
A quick scan of a 40GB disc took 6 minutes and a "right click", Windows Explorer scan of individual downloads was much quicker than MSE.

Edited by malteser on 21/01/2010 at 23:15

Warning - Avast! update -> PC reboots - borasport20
of course i renew it each 60 days rather than giving an email address

Why ?
Warning - Avast! update -> PC reboots - bell boy
Why ?
>
>>> because im me thats why
Warning - Avast! update -> PC reboots - freddy1
ok the fonero+ questions ,

when you buy the unit and set it up at home/work , to register it , has it to be on 24/7 to enable your free access to mobile wi fi?
Warning - Avast! update -> PC reboots - L'escargot
I never have any problems with my "Webroot AntiVirus with Spy Sweeper" and my "Webroot Desktop Firewall".

You get what you pay for, and if you don't pay then perhaps you ought to.
You get what you pay for

So if you tested all AV software, the results would be in price order? :-)

Anyway, given that the Avast issue appears to be unique to my setup, it might not be Avast at all, and there's no guarantee that I won't get the same problem from anything else. However, AVG (also free) seems fine so far.
Warning - Avast! update -> PC reboots - jbif
given that the Avast issue appears to be unique to my setup, it might not be Avast at all >>

other people with other problems using the new v5
forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

I shall wait for a few weeks before installing the new version.
You get what you pay for >>

L'escargot: have you sent off your monthly sub to HJ for using this free forum? (especially as you were questioning HJ plugging Firefox)

BT FON - freddy1
is anyone usine a "fonera" settup , the access point one?

i have a few questions please

{New question, so moved - as per the Please Note request at the start of the thread}

Edited by rtj70 on 22/01/2010 at 13:51

BT FON - rtj70
Maybe ask them and someone might be able to answer?

There's a FAQ on the BT FON website as well. Have you read that?

Edited by rtj70 on 22/01/2010 at 13:51

BT FON - freddy1
yes i have read every available facts page i can find

www.fon.com/en/landing/gettingstarted this is the unit , whilst you leave this connected to a b/band line , your house / work etc , you are allowed free mobile access ,

does this have to be connected 24/7?

those were the type of questions i had
Spotify - Through car aux in socket - groovy! - tack
Spotify.
I have seen this mentioned on a previous thread and I thought I would mention that I run the premium version on my Nokia E71. I have connected it through my aux in socket on the Golf to play through car stereo. So, on the road I have access to millions of albums. Obviously, internet coverage can be iffy in places. However on my daily commuter run and in built up areas it works fine.

I am on the "Three" network with unlimited internet access, but it will be interesting to see if they object under their fair use policy. However, they actually advertise Spotify as a service available through themselves, so they can hardly complain.

Just thought I'd throw this into the mix.

Edited by tack on 23/01/2010 at 08:07

Spotify - Through car aux in socket - groovy! - Rattle
This where mobile internet access is going to get tricky, mobile phone companies are making their own death. Demand for bandwidth is growing greater than supply.

Spotify - Through car aux in socket - groovy! - SpamCan61 {P}
Yeah, I saw a box of tricks somewhere t'other day that was effectively an in car WiFi access point with 3G backhaul. No wonder most of these 'unlimited' 3G data deals have low fair usage caps.

about 3-4years ago now I streamed 192kMP3s from my home PC to an N73 using Orb and 3G, worked pretty well but I wouldn't want to pay the bills for the bandwidth.

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 23/01/2010 at 19:06

Free SMTP servers? - smokie
SWMBO has a Virgin Mobile phone and at home we have Virgin Media for Internet, so her mail account is with them. However they are rather disjointed, in that you cannot access their SMTP (sending) server for email unless you are coming from a Virgin cable (or presumably Virgin dial-up) connection. She can receive her mail OK on her phone.

I've found some lists of "open" SMTP servers, one of which will probably do the trick, but maybe unreliably and possibly illegally. I know I could run an SMTP server myself but I'm not about to leave my PC on all day for that!

Can anyone suggest any other zero-cost, zero-inconvenience solution to this (other than don;t send emails from her phone!)?
Free SMTP servers? - Rattle
There is actually very tricky to do because most companies don't give away SMPT due to security reasons. Chris at Dhosting may be able to help, he charges £10 a year for this solution.

In my experience SMTP servers are something you always need to pay for.
Thanks Rattle, but having now had a good ole search of the net I have found a legal and free solution.

Gmail can be set up as a POP account, which gives access to you the gmail SMTP servers, albeit with some less-than-common port and security settings. So I've set up a shiny new Gmail account solely for the purpose (although it might come in handy for other stuff too).
Free SMTP servers? - Rattle
Be aware that GMAIL will change the reply to address to the GMAIL address though.

If the email address is

person@ntlworld.com for example when you setup the GMAIL account when you reply or send messages via the GMAIL SMTP the reply header will be changed to

whatever@gmail.com

No Rattle, that's a configurable (as it is in most mail clients)
17" laptop. Any thoughts? - tyro
I'm thinking about getting a 17" laptop some time this year, but am not in a hurry.

I saw this tinyurl.com/ybuc64u at Morgan.

£390 seems good value, but I don't know much about the quality of this particular laptop, and Vista would not be my first choice operating system, so I'd be inclined to get something that comes with Window 7 - preferably after SP1 comes out.

My inclination is also to get something made by Samsung, which seems to do pretty well in the reliability and owner satisfaction surveys at the moment.

Any thoughts?
17" laptop. Any thoughts? - maz64
My inclination is also to get something made by Samsung

This one seems surprisingly cheap:
www.onestoppcshop.co.uk/products.asp?partno=NP-R72...K
...and a bit cheaper here:
www.dewgraze.com/deals/shop.cfm?Manufacturer=Samsu...K

although I haven't looked at p&p
Sorry- just noticed that they are both out of stock, and if it's an obsolete product then it might not be coming back.
Looks like this is the current cheapest Samsung model - given that it's brand new and has Win7, personally I'd pay the extra if I could:
www.ebuyer.com/product/191530

EDIT: and it's a nice colour

Edited by Focus {P} on 23/01/2010 at 15:41

17" laptop. Any thoughts? - jbif
17" laptop some time this year, but am not in a hurry >>

Some consumer forum contributers say that this one is a good one:

www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12760.htm

but you will have to join the queue first thing tomorrow morning!
>> 17" laptop some time this year but am not in a hurry >>

Well spotted jbif - probably best to wait until you actually need it, if you want to get the most for your money. In 6 months time Morgan might be selling refurbished R730s for the price of that HP.

Medion looks good as well.

FWIW we bought a cheap (£380) 17" HP laptop for my wife to do her homework on about a year and a half ago. It's got a relatively slow (Dual Core not Core 2 Duo) CPU and is running Vista with 2Gb RAM, but it's fine for running Office and web browsing etc.
17" laptop. Any thoughts? - Altea Ego
YOu will have a long wait for SP1 for 7. Rumour has it that windows 7 wont have a SP for 18 months. Thats mainly because 7 is remakably bug free and stable.
17" laptop. Any thoughts? - Falkirk Bairn
YOu will have a long wait for SP1 for 7. Rumour has it that windows
7 wont have a SP for 18 months. Thats mainly because 7 is remakably bug
free and stable.

I think you may have been reading too much MS Propaganda that has also affected your spelling!
I think you may have been reading too much MS Propaganda

Nope, I am not a Microshirt evangelist, but in this case its true. MS are aware of the corporate intentions not to deploy a new OS until SP1 appears, so usually they are working hard on getting it ready. In this case however, its been some 7 years since an OS has been rolled out in corporates, and they are keen to refresh workstations.
Vista was widely ignored because it was a can of worms, but 7 has been well received in test deployments, MS coporate licences are pretty cheap at the mo, so the land of commerce is working on rolling out 7.

which means that MS is not pushed to release a SP.

that has also affected
your spelling!

Blame it on dis-Linux-ia.
17" laptop. Any thoughts? - ifithelps
My thoughts on a 17" laptop.

If screen size is important, might it not be better to buy a desktop box, monitor and keyboard.

I don't think a 17" laptop is particularly portable, and they always seem more fragile than a smaller screened laptop.

Some of the desktop boxes are fairly small these days.

Saw one somewhere that hangs off the back of the monitor.

Add a wireless keyboard and mouse and you have a neat set-up.

17" laptop. Any thoughts? - jbif
... long wait for SP1 for 7. Rumour has it that windows 7 wont have a SP for 18 months. Thats mainly because 7 is remakably bug free and stable. >>

;-) I wonder if Altea is responsible for frightening Tyro off from buying a new OS.
IIRC, your advice in the past has been to stay clear until SP1 is issued for new Windows releases.
I agree with you though that Win7 is remarkably bug free and stable - isn't it really something like VistaXP-SE mark IV?

Edited by jbif on 23/01/2010 at 16:54

Wow! Some quick and helpful answers there.

1. The Aldi one looks very tempting. The 3 year warranty is particularly appealing, and I gather they are pretty good for customer service. However, I'm not going to be anywhere near a branch of Aldi in the next week, let alone tomorrow.

2. The Samsung R730 looks pretty good. It may well be the way to go.

3. "YOu will have a long wait for SP1 for 7. Rumour has it that windows 7 wont have a SP for 18 months. Thats mainly because 7 is remakably bug free and stable. "

AE, does that mean that you would be inclined to relax the advice that you gave at tinyurl.com/yfbd22z ? Or is it a matter of either going with Vista or settling for a long wait? (jbif, I see that you are a mind-reader!)

4. I hadn't thought of that, ifithelps - but worth thinking about, especially in light of your interesting comment: "they always seem more fragile than a smaller screened laptop."

Edited by tyro on 23/01/2010 at 16:59

17" laptop. Any thoughts? - ifithelps
..."they always seem more fragile than a smaller screened laptop."...

Just my thoughts, but when I close my 14" laptop the screen flexes a bit too much for comfort and a bigger screen is bound to be worse.

I managed to knack the motherboard on my last laptop with a soft drink spillage, barely a mouthful, but it was a write off.

Now, had I had a separate screen/desktop box, that would have been a tenner for a new keyboard, not £450 for a new laptop.

Obviously, that applies to all sizes of laptops, but I will be seriously considering the greater flexibility offered by a desktop next time, because my portable needs are covered by my little Eee PC.

My 14" laptop spends nearly all its time sat open on the kitchen table - awaiting a fatal dose of Coca-Cola.

Well based on my experience of installing Win 7, and the way its behaved in corporate test then yes.

I have to say, for this version of windows, then waiting for SP1 is not required in this instance. It is after all, Vista Mk2.
Ta very much for that, AE. You have set my mind at rest.
17" laptop. Any thoughts? - gmac
We have run two 17" laptops in the past three years.

The first one a Toshiba Qosmio has very good components and good screen. Downsides are they forgot about the cooling when putting it all together and it's quite 'chunky'.

We also have an Acer Aspire which is lighter for travelling with but the screen is not as good though the card is of a higher spec than the Toshiba.

Check the model you want as not all 17" screens are the same size funnily enough.

Re: Vista, I don't know what people on here are running on it for it to be so bad.

We have both 32 and 64 bit versions of Home Premium running, connecting Printers, SatNavs, Gaming Steering Wheel, Digital Camera etc... with no problems.
The only thing that does annoy is the 64bit version has a bug in the Sidebar whereby the gadgets appear randomly at each logon. Fix is to use the 32bit Sidebar and all is OK.

I've had more trouble with XP than I've seen with Vista and I thought XP quite stable.

If you can get Win7 go for it but don't be put off by Vista.

Edited by gmac on 23/01/2010 at 18:06

17" laptop. Any thoughts? - malteser
We bought an Acer Aspire, 7540 17.3" screen, AMD dual core, 3MB RAM, 360GB HD, with HDMI connection, 4USB ports, card reader, NO separate video card memory, but a dedicated chunk of normal RAM,web cam etc, etc, at Currys over our Christmas visit to the UK. Runs Windows 7 Home Premium.
Cost then was GBP429, but it's gone up a little since then.
All good so far. (Oh and the lid is a tasteful dark blue!)

Edited by malteser on 23/01/2010 at 21:34

Adobe Acrobat printing question - nick
I have pdf document I want to print. It's an architect's plan measuring 33.1 x 23.4 inches. Unfortunately I only have an A4 printer (8.3 x 11.7 inches). If it's reduced to fit it's unreadable. What's the easiest way to print it on to several sheets of A4?

I'm hoping there must be a simple way to do this but I'm blowed if I can see it.

Thanks in advance.
Adobe Acrobat printing question - bell boy
go into tools, click on select & zoom, snapshot tools, a little cross will appear. 'draw' around the section you want to print, this will highlight it in a square. right click the mouse and a menu will appear. choose the one that says print and this should print the selected section. alternatively, select copy selected graphic and put onto a word document. print as many sections as you need and tape them all together

good luck

regards

Bellboys wife

Edited by Pugugly on 24/01/2010 at 12:56

Adobe Acrobat printing question - nick
That works a treat, many thanks Bellboy's wife.