Computer Related Questions-Volume 209 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 210 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 209. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/01/2010 at 11:59

Downloading MP3 music files to mobile phone. - P.Mason {P}
Having recently bought a mobile 'phone, I would like to download some music to it.
I realise that I'll need a memory card, but the instruction leaflet gives no details of what leads are required or the process of downloading. (I'm assuming the process will be similar whatever the make of 'phone.) Can anyone advise, please?
Thanks,
P.
Downloading MP3 music files to mobile phone. - bell boy
bluetooth
or
usb
Downloading MP3 music files to mobile phone. - gmac
If you're using a memory card, take the card, stick it in a cardreader, drop the files on the card and return to the phone. Much quicker than Bluetooth.
and if you dont have a card reader?
my computer runs on steam you know....
i have a usb to sd card converter,got it in a petrol station for about £3
It doesn't have to be an internal cardreader.
One of those plug in USB readers does the same job in this case. Most of them will take more than one card type too.
Downloading MP3 music files to mobile phone. - rtj70
i have a usb to sd card converter

i.e. a card reader
looks like a crappy bit of plastic to me but i suppose the posh interpretation is
quality hing flong purveyor of data transfer
You're getting there, we'll have you talking in TLA's before the decade's out. :)

Edited by gmac on 24/01/2010 at 21:35

Downloading MP3 music files to mobile phone. - jbif
Having recently bought a mobile 'phone >>

Details of make, model etc. can be helpful, when asking any tech questions whether motoring or CRQ ;-)
Downloading MP3 music files to mobile phone. - P.Mason {P}
Thanks for all the feedback-the phone's a Samsung S3100.
P.
Downloading MP3 music files to mobile phone - SpamCan61 {P}
Poundland do USB -> SD card readers ( SDHC compatible) which work well IMX.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/01/2010 at 00:43

Downloading MP3 music files to mobile phone - bell boy
how much are they?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/01/2010 at 00:44

Downloading MP3 music files to mobile phone - jbif
how much are they? >>

Bogof?

Downloading MP3 music files to mobile phone - SpamCan61 {P}
how much are they?

1p dearer than the ones in the 99p shop :-)

aplos. for sticking my previous message in the wrong place. {now sorted}

Boolean Search revisited - Nsar
Got it sorted now, thanks for previous replies.
Desktop not booting into Bios - Tim Allcott
I'm puzzled.
Having convinced myself I'd fried the motherboard when installing a new stick of ram (don't ask; there was dust in the socket) I sourced a replacement 2nd hand mother board. Having installed it, I get exactly the same symptoms which convinced me the last one had fried.
On powering up, all fans spin, Power switch lights up, hard disc light lights, sounds as though hard disc is being read.
NO beeps from bios
NO video output
Will NOT boot from windows system disc in CD drive.
I have tried disconnecting everything (except the ram sticks) from the motherboard, and also resetting the CMOS by removing the battery for three minutes. Nothing,
Anyone have any ideas?
Motherboard(s both of them) are ASRock P4i65G.
Desktop not booting into Bios - Tim Allcott
A Victor Meldrew moment. Removed both strips of RAM. Computer produced 3 Bios Beeps. Replaced one stick of RAM. Computer booted past BIOS and into Windows. Substituted other stick of RAM. Nothing. One dead stick of RAM removed later, apparently working computer.
DOH!
Desktop not booting into Bios - smokie
Isn't video the first thing to boot? So if you don't get past that, tit's no surprise that you don't get near BIOS settings or Windows boot.

Are you using the same video card in each board, if so do you have an alternative?

Also the same processor?

Does hard disc light stay on solid or does it flicker?

Are you sure your motherboard isn't shorting across the case (poss through the screws which hold it in place - take them all out and rest the motherboard on just one corner. I had that one, I cut a piece of cardboard roughly the same shape and used it as a giant washer - punched holes for screws)

You can take the RAM out for testing too - most m/bs just give a beep sequence if it is absent.

Shows how slow my typing is when the OP posted the resolution 5 mins before I manage to type my response!)

Edited by smokie on 25/01/2010 at 13:12

Desktop not booting into Bios - Altea Ego
The pc will boot CPU internals first, then memory, then display, then other ROMS (Hard drives, NICs etc) then it will caryy out diagnostics that include memory checking.

SO dont be fooled by the memory checking, memory was accessed earlier inthe boot sequence.

In theory, the PC can be forced to boot without a display bios
Desktop not booting into Bios - diddy1234
all pc's perform a POST (power on self test) on initial start up.

First things are checked are cpu and then ram.
Then the video display starts

This is why you did not see anything on the screen as the whole system was hanging at the ram.

Like you have explained, removing the ram produced beeps (as it should error beep with no memory).

Glad it is all working for you now (even if you found duff memory).
Order of memory modules - TheOilBurner
This is one I'm curious about....

My PC started off with 2x1 GB of DDR2 800. It was relatively expensive stuff, complete with lovely pink heatsinks.

Anyway, I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit last week and felt the need to clear a little more head room, so I went and bought a single 2 GB DDR2 800. It's generic stuff with no heat sinks or anything fancy like that.

I initially placed the new module in the 3rd slot and everything appeared OK for a couple of days until I tried to back-up around 70GB of data to an external hard drive. The copy process kept failing around the 2-5 GB mark, failing at the same point every time, the failure point only changing depending on what program I tried to use. I couldn't figure out why this would be. Microsoft Support got involved and they couldn't figure it out either. The drive checked out ok with CHKDSK and still worked OK in Windows XP. Process Monitor showed the error "NO SUCH DEVICE".

After many wasted hours trying to fiddle with the OS, I decided to withdraw the new memory module to eliminate that as a potential problem source. The memory had checked out OK with the Memory Diagnostic Tool, so it seemed like it probably wasn't faulty, but still..

Not exactly to my surprise, the copy now worked OK. Fair enough, it's dodgy memory, or is it?
So I then stripped all the known good 2x1GB memory out, and tried the PC with only the new 2GB memory module in slot 1. Everything worked OK still.

I then put the old 2x1GB modules back with the new memory still in slot 1, this time putting the old memory in slots 2 and 3, and everything still works OK, the post screen reporting 4096 MB running at 800 mhz, copy works no problem.

So, can any of our esteemed PC experts explain what could cause such strange behaviour? I'm at a loss to understand it myself. My motherboard supports 2GB per slot, maximum 4xDDR2 800.
Order of memory modules - Altea Ego
The only practical and hard earned advice I can give you, is that all memory diagnostic routines are useless.

It could be anything, from dirt on the contact to a borderline power rail to that slot.
Order of memory modules - smokie
I agree that you cannot depend on memory testers, but they have a place in the troubleshooters toolbox.

Some mobo's do not support mixed memory modules, others have rules for where mixed memory should be placed.

But AE is right about the dirt - technically is called "re-seating" but pulling a component and plugging it in again often cures problems...probably caused by dirt

Edited by smokie on 25/01/2010 at 15:15

Order of memory modules - TheOilBurner
Now you've said that, I think you both might be right about the dust issue.

Before inserting the module, I noticed the board was (as usual) covered in thick dust.

Naturally, I'm too lazy to clean it off...

I don't think the slot is faulty, as it works fine with 2-1-1-0 but didn't with 1-1-2-0.

Possibly the order of mixed modules could be an issue, although the motherboard manual says nowt on this.

I guess it could well be dust, cured by flipped the modules about.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I don't feel quite so mystified now!

Oh and BTW, so far Windows 7 is pretty ace, which is not something I imagined myself saying after the experience I had with Vista!
Adobe reader 9.3 - Martin Devon
I have the above installed but when I try to view pdf's on a web page I get the following message. The adobe/acrobat reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser. HELP please.

MD
Adobe reader 9.3 - maz64
Googling the error message brings up this:
kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405461.html
Adobe reader 9.3 - Clk Sec
I'm sure that an expert will be along shortly, but this might help in the meantime.

tinyurl.com/moqokq

Clk Sec
Adobe reader 9.3 - jbif
.. view PDF files in a web browser. HELP please. >>

Unless you have an overriding reason to use Adobe Reader, my suggestion is that you uninstall it completely and replace it with the much much smaller and efficient free Foxit pdf reader (current version is 3.1.4):
www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

Edited by jbif on 26/01/2010 at 09:42

Adobe reader 9.3 - Pugugly
Happy and satisfied user of foxit - works better that Adobe.
>>replace it with the much much smaller and efficient free Foxit pdf reader

I did exactly that about a year ago following advice from a fellow BR'er. Foxit is, indeed, very efficient, but I found that I needed Adobe Reader as well.

Inland Revenue and one or two other sites.

Clk Sec
Adobe reader 9.3 - ifithelps
Another vote for Foxit, although all I use a pdf reader for is just that, opening and viewing the occasional document.

Adobe reader 9.3 - jbif
but I found that I needed Adobe Reader as well. Inland Revenue and one or two other sites. >>

I use HMRC and other .gov.uk web sites extensively. Foxit has always worked form me.

>>I use HMRC.
Foxit has always worked form me

Hmm, that's interesting. I couldn't get it to work - probably something I've done wrong. Anyway, all is well with both in operation.
Adobe reader 9.3 - rtj70
MacOS X doesnt need anythung to view create PDFs :-) PDF support is native.
I know - It was my Vista PC that couldn't work PDFs for some obscure reason !
>> .. view PDF files in a web browser. HELP please. >>
Unless you have an overriding reason to use Adobe Reader my suggestion is that you
uninstall it completely and replace it with the much much smaller and efficient free Foxit
pdf reader (current version is 3.1.4):
www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

Can I install foxit without unloading adobe?

regards..........M
Foxit worked alongside Adobe on my Vista PC - there were no problems.
Adobe reader 9.3 - jbif
Can I install foxit without unloading adobe? regards..........M >>

Yes, but note Q5 in the faq here:
www.foxitsoftware.com/support/techsupport/showfaq....m

Yes but note Q5 in the faq here:
www.foxitsoftware.com/support/techsupport/showfaq....m

Foxit IN. Adobe OUT. Thanks to all.

M
Free space on local disc (C:) - L'escargot
At what amount of free space on the local disc should I consider having additional RAM? At the moment I have 20 GB left out of 37.3 GB total.
Free space on local disc (C:) - SpamCan61 {P}
There isn't really a fixed relationship, if your PC runs out of physical RAM during normal operation it will start using a relatively small amount of the hard drive, but seldom more than 1GB. How much RAM do you currently have and how old is the machine? Extra RAM may speed it up a bit if you do want to add some.
Free space on local disc (C:) - maz64
At what amount of free space on the local disc should I consider having additional
RAM?

You mean, do you need a bigger hard disk? If it's only half full, then not yet, unless you are planning to start using it up by loading it up with videos etc.

However hard disks are cheap - 1Tb drives aren't much over £50.

Hope I've understood the question...
You mean do you need a bigger hard disk? If it's only half full then
not yet unless you are planning to start using it up by loading it up
with videos etc.
However hard disks are cheap - 1Tb drives aren't much over £50.
Hope I've understood the question...

Yep, that's what I meant. (I'm a septuagenarian computer duffer!) It was just that I noticed that the WAV music files I'd got on the disc used up 1.52 GB which seems a lot out of a total free space of 20 GB. I think I'll stop saving them. They got there when I was copying cassettes onto CDs. Thanks for the advice.

Edited by L'escargot on 26/01/2010 at 09:53

Free space on local disc (C:) - gmac
You can still save them, buy and external USB drive as suggested above. Switch it on when you want to listen to the saved files, leave it off when you don't need it.

Edited by gmac on 26/01/2010 at 09:54

You can still save them buy and external USB drive as suggested above. Switch it
on when you want to listen to the saved files leave it off when you
don't need it.

Yes, Comet will sell you 1000GB ish of external storage for 65 quid, similar offers from other suppliers around:-

tinyurl.com/ygmclqv
You can still save them buy and external USB drive as suggested above. Switch it
on when you want to listen to the saved files leave it off when you
don't need it.

Thanks gmac, that's what I'll do.
It was just that I noticed that the WAV music files I'd got on the disc used up 1.52 GB

WAV files do use a lot of space - can you save them as MP3s, which take up (roughly) 1Mb per minute, or do you need Rattle-like sound quality? :-)
Something else you can do to save a bit more space is compress the drive - in WIndows Explorer right click on the C drive, go into properties and tick the box (IIRC - sorry I don't have Windows on the laptop I'm using at the moment). It takes a while to compress everything, but I reckon you might get another 5Gb.

I don't think performance is affected, or not noticeably - yes files have to be compressed/uncompressed, but they are smaller so take less time to read/write.

Edited by Focus {P} on 26/01/2010 at 10:11

WAV files do use a lot of space - can you save them as MP3s
which take up (roughly) 1Mb per minute or do you need Rattle-like sound quality? :-)

If they have come from tapes as indicated by another post, then I would definitely recommend converting the WAVs to MP3s or WMAs. You can use Windows Media Player, or there are loads of free programs (CDex is one I used to use).
Free space on local disc (C:) - adverse camber
RAM and disk are quite different things.

Disk is long term storeage where your programs and data live - you're fine with more than half the disk free.

RAM is working storage and governs the performance and the number of things that you can do at once (not the only factor CPU matters obviously). Machines without enough RAM will tend to become very slow because the computer is constantly having to shuffle things out of the (fast) RAM onto the (slow) disk in order to do any work.

The others have covered the RAM angle here.
As for your harddrive, think about a drive upgrade when your used space hits 80%.
You shouldn't really exceed 90% of used space allowing for bad sectors and memory swapping as described.
Free space on local disc (C:) - jbif
At what amount of free space on the local disc should I consider having additional RAM? At the moment I have 20 GB left out of 37.3 GB total. >>

Trying to keep this simple, and you will need to read up technical terms:
I agree with others who have said you have enough disk space. If you want to fit a larger disk, they are very cheap now but you have to make sure you get the correct type for the connectors on your PC (I suspect you are have IDE rather than SATA connectors).

You did post previously of having had extra RAM fitted at a well known store.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=46...8
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=70...3
768MB on your XP should be sufficient, unless you are running RAM hungry apps.

Rather than spend on that old machine, I suggest that you may find it better value to look out for a new Windows 7 PC (excluding monitor).

Rather than spend on that old machine I suggest that you may find it better
value to look out for a new Windows 7 PC (excluding monitor).

Having set up a couple of Win7 machines for friends then one issue that both had is that the default retail version of Win7 HP is 64bit, and support for older peripherals and apps. is not that great. So people are having to go out and buy pointless new hardware and software because of a newer OS.
I think the suggestion of a new machine in this instance is the classic sledge hammer to crack a nut case.
If the OP is concerned purely about disk space and everything else is working then the external drive is the answer.
It also means if they use the external drive as their personal drive then future migration to a new machine when needed is pretty straight forward.
As a a bangernomics driver I think old computers are like old cars, it's knowing when to stop throwing money at them and move on. In this case I agree an external HDD is a much easier way forward, I'd feel happier about recommending a new PC if the OS was 32bit and there was little risk of further expenditure on new gear.

On the other hand I put a new motherboard in an old PC of mine a week ago and now it looks like the PSU has gone!
I think the suggestion of a new machine in this instance is the classic sledge hammer to crack a nut case. >>

I beg to differ, because L'escargot is not your standard of PC user.
You can get PCs (without monitor) for around £200-£300. Remember that L'escargot has a fear of pretty much doing anything with/to his PC.
By the time L'escargot has paid his high street tech guys to fit his new HD (external or internal), extra RAM, or other bits for him, it may well cost him £150 or more.

I agree about internal HDD or RAM, but if Mr.Snail has succeeded in copying C90s to HDD then I would think a plug and play external HDD would be a viable option. Certainly easier than trying to get the hang of Win7 and playing hunt the printer driver.
Free space on local disc (C:) - ifithelps
...playing hunt the printer driver....

Ho-ho - and I thought I was the only one.

By the time L'escargot has paid his high street tech guys to fit his new
HD (external or internal) extra RAM or other bits for him it may well cost
him £150 or more.

If L'escargot needed all the above doing then I'd agree but I think anyone is capable of taking a USB drive and plugging it in, installing the software provided on the CD if the hardware doesn't already detect and install the required driver.

It also provides a standalone backup facility.

OK, L'escargot is maybe not going to partition the drive, which is to be recommended for 1TB, but for simply a place to drop music files to build up a library it's a simple, cheap solution.

As with most things you can make it as simple or challenging as you want.

Edited by gmac on 26/01/2010 at 10:55

As with most things you can make it as simple or challenging as you want. >>

;-) I think L'escargot prefers to pay, so I do know whether you would call that simple or challenging. Seven months ago, when he had a false positive from Webroot (prefers to pay rather than use freeware), he did this : ".. I‘m a computer duffer!) I took my computer to PC World for a health check and they removed all traces of the virus and re-installed the soundcard driver file. ... "

Edited by jbif on 26/01/2010 at 11:18

Free space on local disc (C:) - Rattle
I don't know how much extra RAM has been suggested (not read the entire thread) but lets say an extra 1GB of DD2, I can get some very high quality stuff for less than £20 at Microdirect. I typical would expect to make £30 profit on a job like this a 500g external drive costs £50 so you should easily be able to do all this for £100.

Free space on local disc (C:) - smokie
"....partition the drive, which is to be recommended for 1TB,"

By who and why?
Someone who is more proficient than what I have been lead to believe the OP is.

The reason being it makes the disk more manageable and gives more options.
It would give a drive for a music library, a separate drive for backup and perhaps another for personal documents.
Less risk of data loss through a mistaken delete when the data is on separate drives.

You could keep it all in a single drive and manage through folders, a single defrag of a 1TB chunk v that of a 250Gb partition takes a good while longer.

Edited by gmac on 26/01/2010 at 22:57

Ah, OK. With a music/video collection approaching 1Tb I've had to migrate to a single partition 2Tb! But it's OK, it's backed up regularly and with an off-site backup.

I personally dislike partitioning just for the sake of it. Even for less savvy people - who may think they are doing the right thing by backing up to another partition - then the drive blows up.

My ideal Windows set up (and one which I have recently implemented for a much less savvy mate) is a small but fast C drive, and a large D drive. Repoint all "My Documents" folders to be created etc on the D Drive. Then get a separate 1Tb USB drive for backups.

Once in a while (monthly? - depending on change/usage), image the C drive using Ghost or Acronis - 20 minutes max - putting the images under My Documents on D Drive (Older generations of image can be deleted). Then do a Sync (e.g. use AllWaySync) to backup My Documents in it's entirety. Do interim Syncs of My Documents on a weekly (?) basis to a separate location on the 1Tb drive. The 1Tb drive can be stored off site between backups if required.

Even my wife and kids are managing to do this...

Edited by smokie on 27/01/2010 at 16:14

... With a music collection approaching 1Tb...

Crikey, that's a lot of notes.

I reckon my collection would probably fit on an 8gb iPod, but I'll probably buy a 16gb just to be on the safe side.

Free space on local disc (C:) - TheOilBurner
1TB! That puts my 40Gb to shame, and my wife thought I was daft! ;)

Personally, I never use back-up or imaging tools myself. I prefer to do a straight mirror (using the archive flag, so it doesn't take long after the first time), so that I'm not relying on any particular tools or operating systems to recover data.

As long as I can connect my external drive to a computer with an OS that supports NTFS, my data is there.

Although with 1TB+, I guess mirroring has its limitations!

Now, if someone wants to come along and tell me why doing a mirror is bad news, I'm all ears...
Free space on local disc (C:) - rtj70
Smokie probably uses either a very high bit rate or even non-compressed. Disk space is cheap.
Given the usual quoted capacities, I reckon a 1Tb iPod could hold 250,000 - a quarter of a million - songs.

Or about 12 or 15 thousand CDs.

Dunno how much more space a high bit rate song takes up, but 1tb must still equate to a great deal of music.

Its easy to take up 1TB. A lot of my MP3s use lossless compression and take upto 33MB each! 320bkps still sound good but when (whats the word?) to lossless they actually sound almost as good as my Marantz CD player.

Whats the point on going to a huge effort on making sure everything is setup correctly, each component is on its own seperate shelf only to feed it with poor bit rate MP3S. Its very much the Linn idea back in the 70's.

Edited by Rattle on 27/01/2010 at 12:05

I understand where you're coming from. Sadly I have neither the speakers or the ears to make such high-bit rate audio worthwhile! :)
They do, its not about the hearing range it is about whats in that limited range. Vinyl has a very limited range but it still sounds better than CD to me. With 320bkps on my setup (fairly modest but done properly) sounds very good, with lossless the soundstage widens up and you forget about the electronics it becomes all about the music. Higher bit rates get you faster bass, clearer mid range (sometimes) and a cleaner treble.

On most average setups though you're not going to notice any difference. I also limit only the albums I listen to a lot to lossless.
Ah, with my £45 Sony 2.1 system attached to my PC, I'm not likely to be able to appreciate such subtleties!

Well there's another set of toys to put on my wish list...
I always think £1k is the sweetspot. Budget seperates sound good but you know there is something missing, they usualy have all the detail but lack the music, more expensive ones actually place less detail because most the detail is actually unwanted disortition. You find there is actually much less going on and become involved in the instrunments and the musicians. After £1k though you have to spend more and more to get little improvement. If I had the money I would probably stop at around £4k. It just gets silly when people start spending £300+ on a cable.

The great thing now all you need is a decent sound card (around £100), a decent amp £250, and a good pair of speakers £200 and you have a great system for MP3 playing on.

Thanks Rattle. I have next Christmas in my sights already!

Is it really necessary to have a separate sound card? I know this may sound daft, but what's wrong with the integrated jobbie my motherboard came with?
You can use your internal sound card if you have a decent external DAC. The problem is that most built in sound cards have a rubbish quality DAC (digital to analogue convertor) so the output is very poor. I have an M Audio Audiophile sound card, cost me around £70 and the sound quality between that and the built in one is staggering. I could further improve it by adding an external DAC but they are about £200+ and I cannot justify that at the moment.

The DAC is also the difference between cheap and expensive CD players. My Marantz CD player has lots of complicated DAC chips in it and really huge capacitors to handle the output peaks even though the output voltage is so slow.

I attached a DAC to my freeview box many years ago, the problem was the sound quality was too good and you would be watching the news and hearing all sorts of backgroudn noise from the studio so it got very distracting.
Free space on local disc (C:) - Stuartli
>>It's easy to take up 1TB.>>

Not that easy...:-)

When do you find time to listen to all this music as well as enjoying the latest output?
I have virtually no FLAC. I too have slightly duff ears (medically proven), so as long as it is loud, the quality doesn't matter so much :-) I have a 160Gb iPod, which I use either with some nice Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones or some Koss in-ear ones. No wonder I'm mutton.

The collection started mostly as 128k but I am slowly replacing with 320k.

And as a further aside for the nerdy types amongst us - I use a Western Digital Mybook World Edition NAS to store it all on. It was nearly out of space, as that's also where everyones backups go too. The NAS can have a further USB external drive. I have spent over a week learning about this device, which runs on Linux, and I now run a web server on it, as well as a number of other useful applications. I learnt about it so that I can replace the 1Tb drive with a 2Tb, which is now done. Rync has been copying my data to it's external 2Tb since the weekend and is only up to L in my library (and what with all the music in Various Artists, and band names that begin The, it isn't yet half way!)

The spare 1Tb drive coming out of the NAS is probably going to go into the V+ box to increase TV recording capacity.

I use a synchronise tool (as mentioned above) which dramatically reduces backup time - but only copying one way, not a two-way mirror. IMO two-way would be dangerous in my case, as if the target drive started to pack up (say a bad cluster in the file table) then I would synchronise deletions back to my "master" set when I don't want to. Although I do have a third backup of most stuff :-)

I didn't know imaging was included in Win 7 - that's handy!

Edited by smokie on 27/01/2010 at 16:13

By contrast, my musicathon would be fizzled out in a mere 20 days.

You must own just about every album ever published?

Incredible.
Yep, it all became a bit of a sad obsession. I recognise that. I have three or four non-mainstream genres so there is plenty of scope for finding new stuff. And I tend to listen to the same old stuff rather than the new!!

Did I mention my karaoke collection? :-) And I HATE karaoke...
Obsession is merely the melting pot from which genius is brewed... ;)

I would play the "have you got" game from my more obscure album collection, but I can see I will be beaten hands down!
Sorry guys, on reflection I have edited/hidden some of this discussion. Sorry if your post got lost anyone.

Edited by smokie on 27/01/2010 at 16:20

You need a Drobo with a Drobo share. Nice kit that allows you to swap/upgrade drives and it rebuilds/reorganises. But there are downsides on how overheads work - you could swap a drive and not get more space.
Drobo is nice but way too pricey for me. Also with a "proper" backup regime I don't really need to spend on redundant disks in a RAID - make 'em all work for a living!

This massive disk copy is a once-off exercise that should be over by the weekend. After that it's just one way syncs which makes maintenance very quick.

However, I've been browsing these new fangled solid state drives. I would think 64Gb would be ample for a C drive, and I imagine it would make Windows really fly.

Having just given up the fags (again), I can probably justify one in a few months time...
However I've been browsing these new fangled solid state drives. I would think 64Gb would
be ample for a C drive and I imagine it would make Windows really fly.

I've just cleaned my C drive down today. It was at 65Gb with 1 months worth of restores and an 8Gb Pagefile.
After cleaning up now down to 22.4Gb - Vista64 Home Premium. Pagefile switched off as I don't need it.

Edited by gmac on 27/01/2010 at 18:27

I agree on SSDs and cigarettes. For those in the US, Smokie means cigarettes by fags.

But some Intel SSDs have had problems.

To answer the very original questions. I don't think the OP had a problem ;-) Plenty of disk space for now.
Once in a while (monthly? - depending on change/usage) image the C drive using Ghost
or Acronis - 20 minutes max - putting the images under My Documents on D
Drive (Older generations of image can be deleted). Then do a Sync (e.g. use AllWaySync)
to backup My Documents in it's entirety.

Having poked around with Win7 HP for the first time in the last week it's nice to see that finally all versions of the OS have disk imaging backup included, indeed if you don't create an image of C: within a couple of days of starting up the machine it starts nagging you as only Windows can.
My ideal Windows set up (and one which I have recently implemented for a much
less savvy mate) is a small but fast C drive and a large D drive.
Repoint all "My Documents" folders to be created etc on the D Drive. Then get
a separate 1Tb USB drive for backups.

That's what I go for too.

OS on the C drive nothing else.

Problem with Vista and Win7 is they both drop none moveable system files towards the top or end of the partition. You can then only shrink to the last point. I'm going to have to do a restore to get Vista to move these files so I can do another round of shifting unless anyone knows...that's for a separate question.
I beg to differ because L'escargot is not your standard of PC user.

:-D
>> I beg to differ because L'escargot is not your standard of PC user. >> >>

:-D >>

L'escargot: You asked a very difficult question, if judge it by the replies generated (and that is without counting those that were hidden/deleted by smokie).
L'escargot: You asked a very difficult question if judge it by the replies generated ........

No probs. It was just my way of letting you know I wasn't offended by you inferring that I was a sub-standard PC user.
;-)
:-D

Edited by L'escargot on 28/01/2010 at 09:39

No probs. It was just my way of letting you know I wasn't offended by you inferring that I was a sub-standard PC user. ;-) :-D >>

;-) Sub-standard? No way.
I should have said "computer duffer" using your own words. :-D
Wilko inkjet cartridges for EPson DX4800 - L'escargot
Has anybody tried them, and are they any good? According to the packaging a Wilko cartridge contains 21ml of ink, compared with 8ml in a genuine Epson, which seems odd.
Wilko inkjet cartridges for EPson DX4800 - Stuartli
I've had an Epson R300 for three years and have always used compatible cartridges bought from DiskDepot (www.diskdepot.co.uk); a full genuine set of six Epson cartridges would cost me around £60 to £70, but I pay under a fiver for all six at DiskDepot.

Your printer's cartridges are listed at:

www.diskdepot.co.uk/acatalog/DX3800.html

I've never had any problems with photo prints or clogging up of heads (I leave the Epson R300 permanently switched on to prevent the unnecessary head cleaning routine and waste of ink if it was turned on each time before use), but you need to buy three or four sets at a time to warrant the courier delivery cost.

Edited by Stuartli on 28/01/2010 at 10:22

Frequency of Avast updates - smokie
I seem to be getting at least two Avast updates a day at the moment, is anyone else experiencing that? I used to be surprised that they found enough virii (or bugs) to sustain one!
Frequency of Avast updates - Stuartli
I get the same. If you also have SUPERAntispyware, you will realise that this is not something unusual.

Better too many than too few..:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 28/01/2010 at 23:49

Frequency of Avast updates - TheOilBurner
Same here. It usually waits until the middle of a favourite song before announcing "virus database has been updated"...

Surprisingly, it goes very well with some well known songs, although Avasts mixing skills are a little hit and miss.
Choosing an external hard drive - L'escargot
My computer doesn't have a HI-SPEED USB host controller. Will this limit the choice of a suitable external hard drive?
Choosing an external hard drive - TheOilBurner
Are you sure? What does it say in device manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"?

Is there anything along the lines of "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller"? The keyword being Enhanced.

If so, then you have USB 2 and an external hard drive is fine.
When I switch on my printer I get an onscreen message which tells me I don't have a high speed USB port. How do I find Device Manager?
Assuming you're using Windows XP, click Start, select Control Panel.

In Control Panel, double click System. You'll see the system properties window appear.

Then click the "Hardware" tab at the top of that window. In the middle is the Device Manager button, click it.

Device Manager should appear. Scroll down and look for the entry that I described above.
I've found Device Manager, and under Universal Serial Bus controllers there are 7 things listed but it doesn't say "enhanced" anywhere. My computer is an eMachines 550 and is about 7 years old.
All is not lost. Chances are the external drive will work with USB 1, albeit very, very slowly.

You'd have to check the small print on the drive.

Edit: just checked and found that the Seagate drive I happen to have (bought recently) does work with USB 1.1, so there is a very good chance of finding one that will work with your PC.

Edited by TheOilBurner on 29/01/2010 at 09:41

Edit: just checked and found that the Seagate drive I happen to have (bought recently)
does work with USB 1.1 so there is a very good chance of finding one
that will work with your PC.

Would you recommend the Seagate drive and which model is it?
I would yes, I have the 1Tb unit. It's sleek and compact.

Maplin offer them for £69.99 at the minute.

You might well find that you need much less storage than that, DAB.com do 400gb "Best Value" drives for £39.09. Can't vouch for that drive myself mind.
Sorry, trying to do 3 things at once!

It's a Seagate Freeagent 1TB USB drive at Maplin. They also used to do a 500gb one too, but that wasn't such good value at the time.

The other website is www.dabs.com. But there are many others out there!

I like Maplin because I can physically go to their shop and buy it, old fashioned, I know!
Choosing an external hard drive - M.M
Been using a Seagate Freeagent 500GB running it daily for over two years. Quiet, sleek and reliable.
Choosing an external hard drive - jbif
My computer doesn't have a HI-SPEED USB host controller. Will this limit the choice of a suitable external hard drive? >>

IMO, no. Your 2002/3 PC may have USB1.1 but the USB2 external HD will most likely be backwards compatible. The data transfer speed difference is considerable, though (possibly a factor of 40).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus
"... Signaling
USB supports following signaling rates:
A low speed rate of 1.5 Mbit/s (~183 KB/s) is defined by USB 1.0. It is very similar to "full speed" operation except each bit takes 8 times as long to transmit. It is intended primarily to save cost in low-bandwidth human interface devices (HID) such as keyboards, mice, and joysticks.
The full speed rate of 12 Mbit/s (~1.43 MB/s) is the basic USB data rate defined by USB 1.1. All USB hubs support full speed.
A hi-speed (USB 2.0) rate of 480 Mbit/s (~57 MB/s) was introduced in 2001. All hi-speed devices are capable of falling back to full-speed operation if necessary; they are backward compatible. Connectors are identical.
A SuperSpeed (USB 3.0) rate of 4.8 Gbit/s (~572 MB/s). The written USB 3.0 specification was released by Intel and partners in August 2008. The first USB 3 controller chips were sampled by NEC May 2009 [9] and products using the 3.0 specification are expected to arrive beginning in Q3 2009 and 2010.[10] USB 3.0 connectors are generally backwards compatible, but include new wiring and full duplex operation. There is some incompatibility with older connectors. ...

Seagate, Maxstor, etc. are all OK. some recent bargains here
www.hotukdeals.com/computers/deals/hot

Edited by jbif on 29/01/2010 at 10:00

Choosing an external hard drive - M.M
Thanks for mentioning the HotUK Deals link jbif... browsed on something of a whim and off in a moment to get a new digital camera from Jessops that was mentioned/linked on there.
Choosing an external hard drive - JH
Hi L. At the risk of complicating matters, if you have a spare PCI slot, you could add a card which will add 4 USB 2 sockets to the back of your pc. It's dead easy, honest! For example; tinyurl.com/yc6398q Other models are available. I've seen one half this price though I didn't recognise the manufacturer's name. I checked Maplins - £18 for just 2 sockets :-(

I have a Western Digital 500GB external drive which has served me well for about 3 years. I'm not saying what I paid... :-( But that was 3 years ago!

JH