Slinker, mimser or .............. stooger? - L'escargot
In the latest edition of Saga magazine there was an article which used the words stooger and stooging.

So now I'm going to further update to saying stooger instead of slinker.
Slinker, mimser or .............. stooger? - Cliff Pope
Well, if that's what Gaga readers themselves are using, I won't argue with the word from the horse's mouth.
Slinker, mimser or .............. stooger? - L'escargot
More info here .......... tinyurl.com/yglody6 and here ........... tinyurl.com/yhlgqp8
Slinker, mimser or .............. stooger? - OldSock
Perhaps the correct definition is 'law-abiding' :-)
Slinker, mimser or .............. stooger? - Lud
Law-abiding be damned OS!

The creep Barnes was boasting about his intention to mimse and get in the way of other traffic. Some people here do it too. It isn't law-abiding, it's irritating.

These smug twits remind me of those who seem to think not smoking or not drinking to excess, ever, are signs of superior virtue, when all they are really is evidence of inexperience.
Slinker, mimser or .............. stooger? - CraigP
I hate approaching a mimser.

That being said, tailgating him is never the answer. Ever. Ever ever ever! You're the one in the wrong if you're daft enough to tailgate.

It's not worth the danger to you both. Flash your lights to tell him he's a nuisance, honk your horn even if you must, but do it at a distance.
to make sure that the likes of our man are not too close behind.
If they are I drive even more slowly, for the sake of their safety
and my own.

I just can't argue with that logic. Much is i'd hate to come across this self-centred, smug, misguided fellow on my travels.

Keep your distance. Overtake safely. If you can't overtake, keep your distance. His arrogance and lack of consideration for other road users, although utterly astounding on it's own, does not, and probably even shouldn't mean he should be taken off the road.

He says he returns to the left after overtaking. If he's telling the truth, i'd rather be approaching this this mimser in the driving lane than the common, garden variety in the middle overtaking lane which mean i have to move out from the 1st to the 3rd lane to overtake.

Slinker, mimser or .............. stooger? - ForumNeedsModerating
I must say neither of neologisms have much provenance - A Saga website just doesn't cut it I'm afraid. The first - 'slinker' - seems to be a generally pejorative term describing someone of a creepy nature. The second - 'stooger' - AFAIK is a slang term for the engorged male member (apologies to those of a nervous disposition..).

Since the first source (slinker) was a younger relative, I would suggest he may have been having a bit of seasonal good fun with you. For the second, the Saga posters seem to be taking it from a term a motoring correspondent used - rather inappropriately it seems.

Mimser is perfectly good - it conveys the idea of an almost willfully nervous, timid driver with a tinge of punctiliousness thrown in. There's almost an onomatopoeic feel about 'mimser' too.

Edited by woodbines on 21/12/2009 at 13:51

Slinker, mimser or .............. stooger? - CGNorwich
To stooge around was WW2 RAF slang - to hang around in a rather aimless way.

Slinker, mimser or .............. stooger? - s.v.u.
Sorry to appear dense but could some one please explain to me what exactley is a mimser ?? Perhaps I have got it wrong but from earlier posts it would seem to me that the definition seems to be some one who is observing a particular speed limit and thus "holding up" some one who wishes to make faster progress. Have I got it right, or wrong ? Please enlighten me as I have no desire to be an unwitting mimser !!
Slinker, mimser or .............. stooger? - Lud
You have got it wrong svu. A law-abiding but proficient, aware and considerate driver isn't a mimser.

The essential characteristics of the mimser are unawareness and low intelligence. An element of passive aggression is often also present, as is a tendency to think a car's speedometer is accurate and then subtract five or ten mph just to be on the safe side. Mimsers often congregate on single carriageway roads in waddling, cud-chewing, straggling, tailgating processions a good ten or fifteen mph below the limit. Most or all of them imagine they are the sort of law-abiding types you describe.

Geddit?