A 4x2 Freelander. - Pugugly
A friend has a Freelander - perfectly horrid thing (the car !). She's had trouble with the transmission and a non-mechanic friend has removed the prop shaft. Are there any safety implications ?

Edited by Pugugly on 19/12/2009 at 08:40

A 4x2 Freelander. - piston power
Are there any safety implications ? None but it won't drive anywhere with no shaft.

Is this shaft to front wheels or rear?
rear - yes it does drive so I assume the front wheels remain driven. I was just thinking how silly she'll look in the snow - she is a good 4x4 driver having towed bogged down trailers from fields all her adult life.
A 4x2 Freelander. - maz64
a non-mechanic friend has removed the prop shaft

The fact that a non-mechanic has done it would worry me; I would at least try to find a mechanic to give it a once-over.
A 4x2 Freelander. - NARU
My understanding is that most mk1 freelanders are now 4x2 because the viscous coupling goes defective anyway!
A 4x2 Freelander. - ForumNeedsModerating
She's had trouble with the transmission and a non-mechanic friend has removed the prop shaft. Are there any safety implications ?

Would she let a a non-electrician re-wire her house as well? I can't imagine the rationale & thought processes behind such a decision frankly.
She's a skinflint and he does it for nothing as he idolizes her. Perfect combination usually.
A 4x2 Freelander. - bell boy
be interesting to hear a definitive answer to this one as those freelanders do wind up the back axles apparently
A 4x2 Freelander. - gordonbennet
be interesting to hear a definitive answer to this one as those freelanders do wind
up the back axles apparently

>>

this one won't.

can't see much harm being done unless whatever's failing inside the transmission is still operating even if not under load.
Series Landy's would regularly break rear half shafts, so i'd just stick it in 4WD and drive around on FWD only in the meantime....shouldn't say this but the vehicle felt far better to drive than in standard RWD mode.
A 4x2 Freelander. - M.M
Nightmare vehicles these when this transmission issue strikes. You notice odd rear tyre wear, get a mehanic to have a look and before long its an £1800 parts list for visc coupling, IRD and rear diff.

I can't think of any implications for the transmission unless running with the rear output unloaded causes any chatter or backlash wear/failure.

As far as safety goes I wonder if the handling/braking will be affected due to losing the drag/engine braking on the rear wheels?
A 4x2 Freelander. - ForumNeedsModerating
This is none of my business of course - I know none of the parties involved - but, if the person was a friend/acquaintance of mine I'd advise strongly to get it checked by a mechanic & pay for that professional opinion.

I must say I'm rather surprised by some of the nonchalant comments here - I wonder if any posters would be quite so blithe if a member of their family or a friend did something similar?

There's also the consideration of insurance validity & VOSA requirements being flouted - which must run into reams!
A 4x2 Freelander. - NARU
My father's series landrover failed its MOT on one of the front propshaft joints. The tester pointed to a quiet part of the yard and suggested he unbolt the front propshaft and bring it back over for a retest.
A 4x2 Freelander. - NARU
This is none of my business of course - I know none of the parties
involved - but if the person was a friend/acquaintance of mine I'd advise strongly to
get it checked by a mechanic & pay for that professional opinion.

You must have a high regard for the mechanic you use. Very few that I've met would have a clue on an issue like this.

Best place to ask is probably one of the landrover forums - someone there will have done this already. eg. forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=9100