00 2.0 diesel Heater / Engine Issues - jskaife
Good Morning

Was looking for some help in regards to my Y 2000 Reg 2.0 Diesel Mondeo.

First of all, a few days ago (Friday last week) the heating in my car stopped. Only seems to be blowing cold air. When changing from cold to hot you can hear it change like normal probably the matrix changing?

Now my temp gauge has started to fluctuate. Possibly because I opened the cooling system reservoir last night and some black oily stuff spilled out a little. Not sure if this is normal???

Could someone make some suggestions?

Please note that upon checking my oil with dipstick it was very low so plan on topping this up in a bit.....

Edited by Pugugly on 16/12/2009 at 08:39

Heater / Engine Issues - andyp
Sounds like head gasket failure, be prepared for a big bill !
Heater / Engine Issues - jskaife
Could it be anything else? What is the black stuff in the cooling system reservoir?
Heater / Engine Issues - andyp
The black stuff will be will almost certainly be the engine oil, which is being leaked through the cylinder head gasket into the cooling system. You need to take it to a garage who will carry out a pressure test on the cooling system and a "sniff" test in the header tank to check for gasses, which is another classic symptom of head gasket failure.
Heater / Engine Issues - WorkshopTech
Afraid this is most likely the HG - typical symptoms. I am also afraid that on a diesel Mondeo of this vintage the repair will cost more than the car is work (unless you can do all the work yourself). Probably time to look for another car, unless yours is an exceptional example that is worth repairing.
Heater / Engine Issues - jskaife
oh dear!