Extreme central locking. - 1400ted
I was ' head hunted ' last week for an important position with a car hire company in Yorkshire..a former colleague is the fleet manager.
I performed my first duties yesterday. Basically, I had to go to Manchester Town Hall, collect some keys, go and find the car a mile or so away and return it to it's dedicated parking bay in a city centre street. It had been left on a pay/display bay 2 days before as it's own bay had been illegally occupied. I doubted it would still be there...probably impounded.
I drove down to it with the keys and there it was..although with a ticket. Left my car, started the hire car and took it back.
When I returned it I wondered who to give the keys to, I had been asked to ring Yorkshire and they would tell me. ..... So I did.
'Leave the keys in a little docking device in the glove box ' said the nice lady, ' then make sure everything is switched off and get out of the car but stand next to it until you hear a clunk and then check the doors and let me know ' I did, it clunked and it locked...and probably disabled the key as well.
She'd only locked it by satellite!!...amazing..I caught the tram two stops to GMex and retrieved my car.....seemples !
I would imagine it could be locked from anywhere in the world..still amazed! I have to put a key in mine !

They have 2 cars locally so I'm not sure that the workload might be too much for me
might have to take a lad on !

A bit of pin money for a poor pensioner !

Ted
Extreme central locking. - Pugugly
Ah - Did I mention .....?
Extreme central locking. - bathtub tom
That sounds just up my street!

Do they need anyone local to me?
Where's your street Bathtub ?

Ted
Extreme central locking. - Dave_TD
He's too far away, pick me!! ;-)
Extreme central locking. - bathtub tom
{p}
Extreme central locking. - Bill Payer
I would imagine it could be locked from anywhere in the world..still amazed! I have
to put a key in mine !

GM's OnStar (fitted to some GM vehicles in the US) does that - lock yourself out the car, call them and they'll unlock it for you. Also slows stolen vehicles, calls an ambulance if you crash and lots more.
www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/index.jsp
Extreme central locking. - perro
Mayhap all vehicles will be fitted with something similar in the not too distant future - better than a stinger!
Extreme central locking. - Armstrong Sid
Looks like basically a good idea, because it could solve quite a few problems (high speed chases, lock-outs etc). The next logical step would be something like detecting alcohol when you'd been drinking and prevent you from starting the car - again no bad thing.

Where would it end? Car won't start because your hair is a mess?
Extreme central locking. - Happy Blue!
Car wouldn't have been a Citroen was it? and you returned it to a bay on St Mary's Parsonage??

Edited by Espada III {P} on 26/11/2009 at 09:26

Car wouldn't have been a Citroen was it? and you returned it to a bay
on St Mary's Parsonage??

Picasso but not SMP...Fountain Street.
Ted
Extreme central locking. - zookeeper
Where would it end? Car won't start because your hair is a mess?

or worse. car wont start because big brother doesnt allow white, red ( pick a colour) to be driven on mondays , wednesdays ( pick a day) ...can you see where im coming from?
Extreme central locking. - Bill Payer
...can you see where im coming from?

A zoo somewhere? :)
Extreme central locking. - CGNorwich
Linked to an ID card and the appropriate databases it could ascertain whether the drive had insurance, was old enough, was banned from driving, and the location of the driver at any time.
Extreme central locking. - Alanovich
So long as about 3 different desk jockeys had keyed the correct information in to the various databases.

MID?
>>> Where would it end? Car won't start because your hair is a mess? <<<

If a lad with Autism can hack into NASA, then I feel sure some enterprising young swot can bring 1 or 2 (000) cars to a halt - all at the same time.
Extreme central locking. - Dave_TD
then I feel sure some enterprising young swot can bring 1 or 2 (000) cars to a halt

Or unlock the ones with interesting looking contents on the back seat...
Extreme central locking. - pmh3
If a lad with Autism can hack into NASA then I feel sure some enterprising
young swot can bring 1 or 2 (000) cars to a halt - all at
the same time.

It is probably because that he suffered autism that he could do it! Not necessarily a handicap, probably an enhancement to his logical/mathematical skills.

look at pn.psychiatryonline.org/content/44/11/17.1.full
>>> look at pn.psychiatryonline.org/content/44/11/17.1.full <<<

Interesting article pmh - I consider myself as having ASD = social impairment, repetitive movements (when young) narrow interests, rigidity, attention to detail, above average I.Q. but hey! that's why I was such an ace engine tuner :)
I also have a young friend (20) who is diagnosed with Aspergers and I see a lot of him in me ... he is at present conducting an 'experiment' with copious amounts of Ethanol, of which at first appears to have very little effect on him but - going by the colour of the whites of his eyes when I saw him yesterday, it certainly has had some effect on his Liver.
Extreme central locking. - Andrew-T
Where would it end?

Never mind the hackers - There are all sorts of hairy scenarios if the system just misbehaves by itself ...
Extreme central locking. - SteelSpark
Where would it end?

Well since I've gotten my car, the exercise I get has gone from minimal to nothing. Every trip to the shops is in the car.

So, I could do with a car that weighs me and refuses to start if detects that I am putting on weight, forcing me to get some exercise.