01 1.6 ignition will not turn past position II - dipsomaniac
can't start car as ignition will not turn to position III from II. i have tried the spare key. i have also removed the barrel and tried using a screwdriver to start car but will still only turn on electrics but not turnover car to start. any ideas/advice really appreciated as both of ours cars are now sat on the drive broken
01 1.6 ignition will not turn past position II - Simon
If the electrical ignition switch unit will genuinely not turn from position two to three then the unit itself is knackered.
01 1.6 ignition will not turn past position II - slack
Hi dipsomaniac a mate of could not turn the key in his ignition called the AA and all he did was to spray in some WD 40 in the ignition and that did the trick.

slack.
thanks for the replies. it's a mechanical part connected to an electrical switch. i really though it would be the barrel as it appears to be a common problem on focuses. but when i take the barrel out and try to start the car with a screwdriver it still won't go to the turnover position. i haven't taken the electrical part of the switch off and don't know if they are any other parts i can remove within the switch. if i have to buy a new steering column ford are quoting £400. i will try giving it a good spray with wd40 if that doesn't work i am stumped
01 1.6 ignition will not turn past position II - Simon
Take the electrical switch off the mechanical part and try each bit individually.
i have taken it all apart and am still not much wiser as its an intermittant problem. it appears to be the parts in the middle between the switch and barrel. i think this is part of the steering column and as ford want £400 for the part only i will have to take a trip to my local breakers. thanks for the replies
01 1.6 ignition will not turn past position II - elekie&a/c doctor
If it is just the start/crank position that is faulty,you could fix up a seperate push switch for the starter,just like ST model,and you will not need to get involved reparing the steering column.hth
thank you. i must admit that i did think of a push button didn't know where to start. i wouldn't want to disable the current system but possibly just add to it for use in emergencies. i would imagine that the harness is virtually the same on the ST so it wouldn't involve too much work, just the ability to be able to read wiring diagrams.