'Trade Sale' - means what, exactly? - OldSock
Browsing on Autotrader, it's quite common to see 'competitively-priced' cars advertised as 'trade sale'.

For traders buying and selling off each other I guess this just means, "look, mate, it is what it is - you buy what you see, but don't come running back if it needs work doing". So for Joe Public, is normal consumer law suspended for such 'trade sales'?
'Trade Sale' - means what, exactly? - jbif
one "legal opinion" is found about halfway down this page:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43
"Trade Sales that aren’t"

Edited by jbif on 29/10/2009 at 15:11

'Trade Sale' - means what, exactly? - Rattle
You have the same rights I believe. A trade sale is only valid if the trader can proof the customer was a trader and not a domestic consumer.
'Trade Sale' - means what, exactly? - OldSock
Thanks, jbif!
'Trade Sale' - means what, exactly? - Stuartli
My understanding was that the intention was to enable private buyers responding to such ads to tell the difference between a genuine private car owner selling a vehicle and someone who buys and sells on a regular basis masquerading as such.

But not too difficult to get around, hence the type of advice given to ask a seller over the phone if the "car is still available" rather than a specific make and model.

PS

Just found these:

tinyurl.com/yhwjy8m

tinyurl.com/ykxu4zr

Edited by Stuartli on 29/10/2009 at 15:38

'Trade Sale' - means what, exactly? - jbif
My understanding was that the intention ... >>

Sturatli - I suspect you have misunderstood the OP!
'Trade Sale' - means what, exactly? - Stuartli
>>Sturatli - I suspect you have misunderstood the OP!>>

I might well have done, jifb...:-)
'Trade Sale' - means what, exactly? - martint123
AFAIAC It is a sign of an iffy dealer trying to wriggle his way out of his legal obligations.
'Trade Sale' - means what, exactly? - adam f
I have noticed that a car dealer called 4front car sales offer some of there cars (lower end of the price scale) as "trade sales". Now to me a trade sale means a car is sold as a trade sale at a trade price - but when they were selling a "K" reg BMW with 130,000 mile on the clock for £1500 (a few months ago) that is not a trade price - far from it.

(Mods - I dont feel that me naming the dealer company is part of the naming and shaming - i am just highlighting a company that i have noticed selling cars at a trade price, whichi feel is not a "trade" price)
'Trade Sale' - means what, exactly? - bell boy
'Trade Sale' - means what, exactly?

Its a bit like arthur daleys sold as seen really.... ..... ...
customer ------whats this sold as seen bit?
arthur ive sold it you"ve seen it.......

simples........