good buy ? - tiredeyes
Hello all
Just got a golf for number one son.
have I had a good buy>?
its a July 2001 plate Y reg. 1.4 S, Silver, 3 door.
its got a gti rear spoiler, gti alloys, r32 front grill and lexus style rear lights.
I gave it £130 worth of service, wipers, spark plugs, oil filter, fully snyth, air filter, fuel filter, topped up steering fluid, mended brake light switch under foot brake.
2 owners full service history, 2 keys and plastic key with number on. handbook.
cd/radio/tape/ everything works on it.
1st owner had for 3 years - up to 89K miles
2nd owner 4 years, up to 109K miles, all MOTs and tax and service docs,
shows had a cam-belt change at 69K
all service and mots add up.
even the log book was at his home address.
£2100.00
seriously such a decent car, no rot, all panels line up, all original underneath, no leaks in boot, or at rear. no leaks from brake pipes, exhaust still got decent life in it.
goes like stink for a 1.4, and such a heavy car.
wife just said though she skidded today in wet.
looked at parkers and it should have abs. I will get the haynes out and see if it has the abs thingy-ma-bob-wotsit.
good buy ? - DP
There should be a yellow ABS light (located in the rev counter somewhere IIRC) which comes on with the ignition then goes out after a few seconds. Check it comes on and goes off as it should. This is an MOT fail by the way if it doesn't.

It's expensive for a 2001 car, but decent Golfs hold their value well. You just have to swallow it if you want one, but you do get it back when you sell them on as long as you've kept them in good nick.

We have a 2002 GT TDI 130 diesel which we've had since early this year and we're delighted with it. Just replaced a blown brakelight bulb today - the first non-routine thing it's needed. Oh apart from the sunroof drains cleaning out. Ours is on 93k and apart from the odd interior creak drives like new. Great performance and 50+ mpg. They're lovely cars IMO, and according to my VW tech mate, generally reliable as long as they're not abused/neglected.

The only disappointing thing on ours is that the build quality isn't as top notch as the reputation suggests. It's still a well made car, but no more so than Fords I've owned.

Edited by DP on 22/10/2009 at 21:50

good buy ? - Pugugly
How much are the insurers charging for the mods though ?