Advice sought over a car purchase - adam f
Afternoon,

I am posting this on behalf of my friend.

He recently purchased a Honda S200 from a used car dealership. When he bought it he was told it would be supplied with a brand new MOT. He picked the car up and was driving it home when he got a flat tyre. He drove it to a garage on the next day to get it checked over (a independent, not the one he bought it from) and the garage said the brakes and callipers had bound and that the car was in a poor condition (the garage used another phrase for the mechanical state of the car!!) Also the car was not supplied with a new MOT (maybe the dealership was aware of the problems and new that the work was going to cost them more then they were prepared to pay out to get it through)

My friend rang the dealership and had a rant and rave about the state of the car ?the dealership said they would put this right. The dealership was meant to pick the car up from the garage but they haven?t, so my friend rang and they asked him what was wrong with the car ? he replied that they will find out all the problems when they MOT it-the dealership have now said they are not going to fix it and will not collect the car from the garage)

He has phoned the finance company and explained that the garage is refusing to pick the car up and they are refusing to do anything. He wants to cancel everything and get his money back that he paid towards the care (about £1k)

Can you guys help us out with where he stands from a legal point of view? I believe he purchased the car on the 4th Sept.

(Replaced "sort" with "sought" in headline. Wrong sort of verb. HJ)

Edited by Honestjohn on 21/09/2009 at 18:10

Advice sought over a car purchase - perro
Have a word with these people Adam ~
www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

Personally, I would get a Solicitor to write a letter to the dealership, setting out in detail what they promised him and what the other garage found and that he intends to pursue this matter through the courts unless he gets redress.
Pity he didn't get the car independently checked out *beforehand*
Advice sought over a car purchase - adam f
Thank you for your reply. My friend has been in touch with Consumer direct and they have opened a case. He has also logged a complaint with Trading Standards. His Dad has also got his solicitor involved.

Is there not a Law which says that he can reject the car if its not fit for purposse or that the dealer may have supplied the car with known faults? My friend has given them several chances to fix/rectify the cars problems but the dealership is having none of it (he is more than happy for them to fix the problems and he will keep the car)
Advice sought over a car purchase - rtj70
His Dad has also got his solicitor involved.

If your friend has legal cover as part of household insurance they might be of use too.