Computer Related Questions-Volume 193 [Read Only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 194 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 193. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/09/2009 at 01:39

Renaming files - sierraman
Recently,when renaming files,I get a message 'if you change the file name extension,the file may become unusable'.In fact the file does become unusable.This is becoming a bit of a pain,not being able to name photos etc..Any idea how to fix this?
Renaming files - maz64
Are you changing the files' extension, and if so, what from and what to?
Renaming files - maz64
Are you changing the files' extension and if so what from and what to?

At the risk of telling you something you already know, the file extension (the bit of the name after the '.') tells Windows which application is associated with it. So if you double click on pic.jpg, Windows starts up PhotoShop or whatever application has associated itself with .jpg files.

If you change file.jpg to file.doc and double click on it, you'll get Word giving you lots of error messages, because Windows associates .doc files with Word (assuming you've got Word) but Word doesn't understand the content of a jpg file.

If you give a file an extension that Windows doesn't know about, then double clicking on it will result in Windows asking you what to run to handle it.

Is that what's happening?
Renaming files - smokie
I suspect if this is a "new" problem, that your folder settings have changed, or you have removed an application.

When displaying a folder you can go to Tools-Folder Options then click the View tab. In there there is a choice to Hide Extensions for known file types.

A known file is one for which there is an associated application, as per the .jpg explanation above.

So, if you do not have the Hide Extensions box ticked, when you look at a folder you will see the whole file name, including the extension. If you then rename it by overtyping the lot, you will be overtyping the extension too, by which Windows identifies the file. If you tick the Hide Extensions bodx then you will not be altering the extension when you rename the file UNLESS the file type cannot be determined from the extension (i.e. you may have deleted whatever default application is associated with .jpg files), in which case you should install an application which recognises that file type.

And btw, if you know what the extension was previously, you can add it back and the file will again be usable.

Clear as mud - if you need more, we're here to help :-)

Renaming files - sierraman
Thanks for the replies.Smokie,you are correct,ticking the 'hide extensions' has done the trick,many thanks.
avast yee - alfatrike
i'm running avg and ad-aware without any problems and am wondering about getting avast. i've heard problems of it slowing down the 'putor when it updates each time you connect. is this right? any compatability with what i've already got?
avast yee - bell boy
i recommend avast over avg these days
obviously if you ran linux you would note that other operating systems are so last century these days dorling
avast yee - perro
I've tried Norton + AVG + PC Tools ... Now I've found one I like -------> Avast!
avast yee - alfatrike
yeah, don't like norton. i found it annoying. defender don't work.
avast yee - Stuartli
Avast! is a first class AV - I've been using it for some years (the Beta version of Avast! 5 has just been released, although I would avoid try it until it is known to be stable).

On the occasions when it is (automatically) updating the virus definitions, it does slow down web pages downloading for a very short period after firing up Firefox, but I prefer that to any possibility of nasties finding their way through...:-)

Some people seem to be getting paranoid about how "slow" their systems become in certain circumstances; this comment about the new "faster search" version of Google might make you smile:

"The search results appear faster, too. Searching for "Cxxxxxxx Sxxxxxx" on the new search engine gave us results after 0.12 seconds; in the old engine the same search took 0.32 seconds."

By the way, you only need one AV program. In the case of malware, you can run two (or more) if you wish as one may find something another misses.

Edited by Stuartli on 19/08/2009 at 21:00

avast yee - smokie
"The search results appear faster, too. Searching for "Cxxxxxxx Sxxxxxx" on the new search engine gave us results after 0.12 seconds; in the old engine the same search took 0.32 seconds."

Surely that's more to do with contention on the search providers servers than anything on the local machine or the connection speed...?
avast yee - Stuartli
>>Surely that's more to do with contention on the search providers servers than anything on the local machine or the connection speed...? >>

Would you really, really notice the difference in speed....?
avast yee - malteser
Avira PE (Free) generally comes out the best in tests, but Avast! (Free) is the least crippled of the three main free versions (Avira, Avast! & AVG) released by their vendors.
Surprisingly ;) Microsoft's free offering "Microsoft Security Essentials" has been getting some very positive comments during its current, beta testing, phase. Worth keeping an eye open for its public release.
avast yee - Rattle
I've been doing some experiments in terms of value for money and how good the virus checkers are. AVG now comes out poorly. The free edition dosn't check for rootkits so that is a major issue.

I've found Bitdefender very good as it tends to find viruses hidden in files even if the viruses are not active. AVG mainly just seems to find active viruses and even then struggles to remove them (which is good for me).

Don't get me started on Norton according to latest labs results it is still poor.

{moves to correct place in the thread that is discussing virus software and the like}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/08/2009 at 01:06

i ain't no sucker, fool - alfatrike
i seem to have been put on a 'sucker' list. last week i had a lovely email from HMRC saying my tax rebate was ready for collection and i just needed to fill in a quick form to get it. looked dodgy from the start and when it wanted my memorable details i knew it was fishy. i forwarded it to HMRC and they replyed it is a con.

a couple of days ago i had an email from aliance and leicester asking me to update my online banking details as they had had a major system failure. first i don't bank online and second i don't bank with A&L. another con.

A&L were hopeless, couldn't find any anti fraud info on their site and tried ringing to no avail.

i know i can't come off the list and it is getting a bore deleating a couple of emails a day.

any ideas, my spam filter seems a bit hit and miss.
i ain't no sucker, fool - maz64
My Gmail account is pretty good at sending these straight to the spam folder, or are you not wanting to go as far as changing your account?
i ain't no sucker, fool - alfatrike
not sure, my yahoo is pretty good. nice to access anywhere. who Gmail?
who Gmail?

Similar web based account by the Google people; go to Google and click on Mail. I used to use Hotmail but much prefer Gmail. It uses tags which are like folders but you can effectively have an email in more than one folder by tagging it with multiple tags eg. 'Amazon' and 'Orders'.
It uses tags

correction: they're called 'labels'
mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer...8
i ain't no sucker, fool - Stuartli
>>an email from aliance and leicester asking me to update my online banking details>>

Only one? I've had several a day of this, along with the usual other phishing e-mails - I just delete them, as I prefer to know exactly what I'm getting rid of at the time.

However, if you use Outlook Express, it's important to ensure that the Preview Pane is PERMANENTLY disabled, as just one click of the mouse can/could set nasties free from an e-mail.

With the pane disabled, you can highlight any suspicious e-mail and use the Properties to view the contents. Any doubts, just keep Cancelling and then use the Toolbar Delete button to remove it.
How Much For My PC - Observations - Robbie
I thought I should post some observations re the above.

As you know I sold my PC within hours of advertising it, and as I failed to remove the advert from the site I was inundated with enquiries about it when I opened my e.mail yesterday morning.

First, some of the recommended prices posted were well wide of the mark. Focus was the most accurate, and on his advice I priced it at £120. Judging by the response I reckon I could have pitched the price higher - possibly £150.

There were very few desktops advertised on the site, but an abundance of laptops which had been there for quite some time. People obviously don't want secondhand laptops if this site is anything to go by.

The three other desktops advertised were much lower specs than mine, and one was priced at £195 - I don't think he'll sell it at that price.

I sold my mine with all of the discs that came with it, and reinstalled Windows XP SP2, and let it update to SP3.

Edited by Robbie on 20/08/2009 at 11:29

How Much For My PC - Observations - Altea Ego
>but an abundance of laptops which had been there for quite some time. People obviously >don't want secondhand laptops if this site is anything to go by.

for good reason. A significant percentage will be nicked, or have an issue or fault thats not immediately apparent or shows up later, or at the (over the top) price will be under specified or old technology

second hand laptops really is "buyer beware"

How Much For My PC - Observations - SpamCan61 {P}
Plus I'd say laptops will have been much more likely than desktops to have been dropped / had beer spilt on them / been half way round the world and back in hand baggage etc.etc. which does nothing for the relaibility.
How Much For My PC - Observations - Falkirk Bairn
Laptop if it works it is best for most people.

Desktop if it does not work it can be pulled apart and 99% of bits can be exchanged fairly easily as many parts are generic or be replaced by generic parts.

Laptop is nearly always proprietary apart from say memory and HD. When it falls over it is either costly to fix or unfixable!

Hence desktops are desired by all on a limited budget
How Much For My PC - Observations - Robbie
Laptop is nearly always proprietary apart from say memory and HD. When it falls over
it is either costly to fix or unfixable!
Hence desktops are desired by all on a limited budget

At least one poster suggested that people only wanted laptops, not desktops. Others suggested my PC was virtually worthless. Having advertised the PC, my findings are the opposite of many who replied.
How Much For My PC - Observations - rtj70
I have to admit I didn't think you'd get £120 for a three year old desktop. But I did think it worth trying for a reasonable figure. I thought maybe £100 tops. Sounds like you might have got more.

The graphics card in my old P4 3.6GHz cost more than that though... fairly recently too. Bought to help speed up encoding H.264 videos using Badaboom.

Edited by rtj70 on 20/08/2009 at 18:21

How Much For My PC - Observations - SpamCan61 {P}
With the exception of time limited / localised offers on particular models I doubt if you can buy a new desktop PC with monitor and sensible OS for less than 300 quid ish. So for someone on a limited budget a complete system - with a fairly fast if inefficient processor - for half that seems like a good deal tome.
Removing a Program - geoff1248
I have found a program on an old PC that is no longer needed and has never been used. It has an uninstall but when clicked cannot find a setup.exe file. Similarly it is not listed if I go into Control Panel "programs & features". Any suggestions as to how I can remove this unwanted program which doesn't actually work. My system is running Vista by the way and the unwanted prog. is Cyberlink Power Director.
Removing a Program - maz64
Try re-install then uninstall again.
Removing a Program - geoff1248
That assumes that I have either the CD, which I don't, or that the installation file is on the PC which it is not. Suspect that it may have been a downloaded prog. ASny further ideas?
Removing a Program - maz64
Suspect that it may have been a downloaded prog.

Free download here:
download.cnet.com/CyberLink-PowerDirector/3000-136...l

EDIT: although it's quite big. I'd still give it a go.

Edited by Focus {P} on 20/08/2009 at 17:33

Removing a Program - Stuartli
If you can find an Uninstall link (perhaps from Start>Programs?), have you tried right clicking on the link>Properties?

This should bring up a Properties panel with the path to its location.
Removing a Program - jbif
ASny further ideas? >>

Try using the uninstaller facility in CCleaner;
docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/uninstal...s

or if that does not work, try the uninstall directions here:
legacy.cyberlink.com/multi/support/product_faq_hom...p

the missing link - alfatrike
i've noticed quite a few responses to posts are appearing at the bottom of the thread. i know the ones i have responded to appear 50/50 in the wrong place. any ideas?
the missing link - rtj70
Switch to the threaded view and you'll see where your reply is in context. This forum does is not "flat" as it were.

The replies are in the right place. If there is more than one reply to a post then they are in time/date order. It's when the thread is collapsed into a representation as a flat view that you can become confused.

Edited by rtj70 on 20/08/2009 at 21:02

confirmation codes - 1400ted
Probably been asked before, what is the point of these conformation codes, you know the ones, when you're registering for a forum or something, you have to copy the letters in a box which are written as if by a mad 2 year old with a broken crayon and a drink problem.
I have sometimes had to change the code 6 or 7 times to get something I could read....why not just use ordinary letters ?

Ted
confirmation codes - Rattle
It is to stop bots from automaticaly signing up to forums in order to carry out denial service type attacks on them or just to sign up for the purpose of posting spam.

There is actually a debate about how legal they are in the EU due to accessibility laws. Many people cannot read them with less perfect eye sight.
confirmation codes - enfield freddy
yup I agree , and if you click on the sound option Micheal hawkins , makes it harder

snip

Edited by Pugugly on 24/08/2009 at 08:37

System Configuration Utility warning message - L'escargot
I recently ran"msconfig" to check whether I had any unnecessary startup items. Since then, although I didn't make any changes, every time I start my computer I get a System Configuration Utility warning message which says

"You have used the System Configuration Utility ........
The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startuo mode .......
Choose the Normal Startup mode ........... to undo the changes."

I check the box "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start" before clicking on "OK", but I still get the message every time.

What have I done wrong, or what have I not done that I should have? How do I prevent the message from appearing?
System Configuration Utility warning message - Stuartli
Go to Start>Run>msconfig>OK again and, from the General tab, tick Selective Start Up and tick/enable the remaining boxes>Apply>OK.

Next time the Don't show this message or launch etc panel appears, ticking the check box and OK button should stop it appearing any more.

Edited by Stuartli on 24/08/2009 at 08:50

System Configuration Utility warning message - enfield freddy
when you have a list of things turned off in msconfig , how do you remove those items from the list?
System Configuration Utility warning message - Stuartli
Go to:

www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Number 148, right hand field.

Kelly Theriot is a long standing Microsoft support member and Kellys Korner is both widely respected and immensely helpful. See:

www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

This may also be of interest:

vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/startup.htm

Edited by Stuartli on 24/08/2009 at 10:51

System Configuration Utility warning message - L'escargot
Thanks Stuartli. That's got rid of it.
IE7 occasionally crashes when using HJ site - oldgit
Why dotes this website and hopefully only this one, occasionally close down my IE 7. It is very annoying and tends to make me steer clear of it. And please don't tell me to try Firefox etc! Is it related to HJ's website's pop-ups?
Most aggravating.

{header name changed, as per the "Please Note" request at the start of this thread}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/08/2009 at 11:28

IE7 occasionally crashes when using HJ site - rtj70
No idea. It works fine for me on two XP machines (IE6 and Chrome) and a Mac (Safari). Maybe you need to get the PC checked out?
No idea. It works fine for me on two XP machines (IE6 and Chrome) and
a Mac (Safari). Maybe you need to get the PC checked out?

Well yes I suppose there is always the possibility of corruption somewhere - the inevitability of time and Vista OS!
IE7 occasionally crashes when using HJ site - L'escargot
My computer used to suffer from this some time ago, and I cured it by disabling Shockwave Flash Object via Tools>Manage Add-ons. As a computer duffer I can't justify my cure, other than to say it worked for me. I think I came across it by disabling Add-ons one by one until I found what appeared to be the culprit. All I can suggest is to try it, and let us know how you got on.
IE7 occasionally crashes when using HJ site - Rattle
Disable each of the plugins one and by one and you should find what is causing it to crash.
IE7 occasionally crashes when using HJ site - bell boy
use opera-------
IE7 occasionally crashes when using HJ site - L'escargot
I've found my post on this subject from about 3 years ago and it appears that I initially disabled all the Add-ons and then enabled them one by one until I found the culprit.
My computer used to suffer from this some time ago and I cured it by
disabling Shockwave Flash Object via Tools>Manage Add-ons. .
All I can suggest is to try it and let us know how you got
on.

Don't seem to be having the problem now but will bear in mind your comments and suggestiions and thanks.
Can't Login IE7 - fredthefifth
Hi,

Anyone any idea why I can't login through IE7. Only started to happen today. Had password emailed to me just to to check and still doesn't work. Using FF for this post.

Regrds.
FTF
Any problems on transfer to 64-bit Windows? - colinh
With the imminent arrival of Windows 7, and noting that photograph files are getting larger and consequently slower to post-process, I'm contemplating a new desktop. To address greater than 3mb of memory I believe it's necessary to go to 64-bit Windows (?).

Has anybody made the change? Any problems with software or hardware? Any other comments, please?

(My Forum search didn't give any results)
Any problems on transfer to 64-bit Windows? - Stuartli
Some possible solutions:

tinyurl.com/lb7rgh

tinyurl.com/nhnf4p

Any problems on transfer to 64-bit Windows? - Robbie
I bought a new PC, just two weeks ago, with Vista 64. My scanner is not compatible, nor is the software for my Canon EOS 350 digital camera. I now need to remove the memory card in order to download pictures. Other software that I wanted to move from my old PC is also incompatible with Vista 64. I now need to purchase the latest version of Nero as this won't load on my new PC.
Any problems on transfer to 64-bit Windows? - Pugugly
Robbie,

I have Canon EOS 500 software which runs on Vista - would this work with your camera ?
Robbie
I have Canon EOS 500 software which runs on Vista - would this work with
your camera ?

Many thanks for the offer but the 500 software won't work with the 350.
Any problems on transfer to 64-bit Windows? - jbif
.. Canon EOS 350 digital camera ... incompatible with Vista 64 >>

Try
geekozoid.blogspot.com/2008/07/canon-eos-350d-on-v...l

same suggestion at the end here:
www.vistax64.com/drivers/77692-canon-350d-driver-p...l

Edited by jbif on 28/08/2009 at 11:53

Any problems on transfer to 64-bit Windows? - colinh
Thanks everybody - back to the drawing board. Perhaps I'll wait a few months until things are sorted by software/hardware suppliers
Any problems on transfer to 64-bit Windows? - rtj70
You can probably check out compatibility now. The chances are older peripherals that don't work won't have the necessary drivers written. So a good chance that an old scanner will need replacing.
Further to jbif's first link:

driverscollection.com/?H=EOS%20350D&By=Canon&SS=Wi...t
Any problems on transfer to 64-bit Windows? - Reentrant
You don't mention your scanner make, but if it's also a Canon .....
- I have the Canon LiDE 50 for which Canon have not released a 64bit driver. However there *is* a 64-bit driver for the LiDE 60. This works perfectly with the 50; you just have to select the driver manually in Device Manager.

The same may well apply to other makes - try the "nearest" 64bit driver.

ps Canon's Vista drivers work fine on Windows 7

Edited by Reentrant on 28/08/2009 at 14:15

You don't mention your scanner make but if it's also a Canon .....

No, it was an HP. However, I have just replaced it with a new CanoScan 5600f.
The one thing I hadn't thought about previously was whether Windows7 had, like XP and Vista, a Windows Compatibility Mode?

A bit of digging has revealed these links:

tinyurl.com/dg22sm

tinyurl.com/kuybdw

tinyurl.com/djm9z2

tinyurl.com/dh83oz
I believe XP Mode will only be in the business versions of Windows 7. This essentially runs a full copy of XP on your computer using Microsoft's virtualisation technologies. So you run Windows 7 and Windows XP at the same time. The copy of XP needs it's own anti-virus, anti-spam, need patching, etc. etc. So not for everyone I should think.

Also it relies on hardware assist for virtualisation support so will not work on all computers. The processor needs to support this feature. And some machines with the right processor won't support it because it's been disabled by the manufacturer - Sony has done this and some Fujitsu Siemens computers also have prevented XP Mode on Windows 7.
BTW, XP Mode will work in a similar way as far as the end user is concerned as VMWARE Fusion on the Mac. If a VM is marked as running in Unity mode, you do not see a separate desktop. The Windows appear on the Mac desktop and support drag and drop etc. Parallel's does s similar thing.

So I run some Windows applications on XP for my Mac. And some of the applications (e.g. Autoroute 2007) run faster than on XP on my laptop.... go figure.

Actually for Intel based Macs, Fusion is pretty good value at £47.
Any problems on transfer to 64-bit Windows? - SpamCan61 {P}
Does a 64 bit version of Vista or Win7 actually offer the average domestic user any advantages in return for the potential hassle with legacy HW / SW?
>>I believe XP Mode will only be in the business versions of Windows 7>>

It is mentioned in at least one of the links.
Any problems on transfer to 64-bit Windows? - JH
I've just done it, today! So far Acronis Disk Director SEEMS not to work properly on 64 bit. everything else appears ok, so far, BUT;

ref scanning you may want to try VUESCAN (See Google). It's not working for me on 64 bit but I suspect that is down to an answer I put in during installation. I'll experiment tomorrow.

If there is not a 64 bit driver (or whatever) available, then it's no good waiting for one, XP 64 bit came out years ago.

JH
Firefox 3.5.2 opening links from Google - pmh3
Running AVG 8.5.429 XP Pro SP3 Firefox 3.5.2

Since updating FF to the latest version clicking on results from a Google search will not open the desired page. It just hangs ....... downloading from Google ......

Google Toolbar not inbstalled

Security options all seem ok

All othe search engines work ok

Any good suggestions please?

Edited by pmh3 on 29/08/2009 at 10:28

Firefox 3.5.2 opening links from Google - Stuartli
Try reinstalling FF 3.5.2 from:

www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/security/
I have now fixed the problem by uninstalling all the addons. I will re install individually starting with adblock! and post if ok / what causes failure.
Most addons reinstalled and still working OK

The previously disabled addon for Google Toolbar have disappeared from the addons list, so it looks like a related problem Other people have experienced various Google problems - but nobody seems to have described the same as I had.

Thanks for suggestion - stuartli

Edited by pmh3 on 29/08/2009 at 10:50

Firefox 3.5.2 opening links from Google - Stuartli
Firefox has its own little foibles at times when installing an updated or new version.

For instance, it always informs me that TinyURL will not work yet, without fail, it does.....:-)
Counterfeit Windows message - Happy Blue!
My computer was new earlier this year and has a genuine copy of Windows XP with the disc in my posession and the licence sticker on the computer. It has been set up to regularly download updates.

I have returned from holiday to find that Microsoft think my copy is a counterfeit (constant message on the computer desktop). This is of course rubbish, but how do I tell them to get real and stop this nonsense?

Thanks
Counterfeit Windows message - jbif
www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FailureScenari...n

social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp...s

www.microsoft.com/genuine/content.aspx?displaylang...s
Looking for a cheap netbook - alfatrike
as it says i am. something reasonably cheap and powerfull. only to be used with a gps dongle and os maps.
Looking for a cheap netbook - ifithelps
...only to be used with a gps dongle and os maps...

Size of screen is the limiting factor.

My 7" Eee PC is hard work with the map websites I use.

Most of the current netbooks have 10" screens, which may be better.

I suggest you try your chosen map site on a 10" screen and see how you get on.
Looking for a cheap netbook - SpamCan61 {P}
Linux or XP? The Acer 7.9" netbooks with Linux tend to be around 130-140 quid when they are on offer.
the quickest operating system, whichever it is. 10 inch screen would be nice. i've got ordinance survey maps in digital format.
Looking for a cheap netbook - rtj70
I have OS maps on my phone which can use a BT GPS receiver. Also have this for a PDA.

If you say what you're trying to do we might offer better advice :-)

I go walking with mine and have OS Maps and position tracking etc. on my phone or PDA. And walks/routes can be transferred either way.

The maps for the phone were quiet cheap indeed.
i want it for a sat nav i can control and have my own option for a route. i don't like being told to use a route when i've seen another on a map. i don't know of any 10 inch sat navs available so the extra screen size would be nice.
Don't use sat nav if you know a route then. An OS map will not be of any use for sat nav routing.
If I want to force a sat nav to a particular route of course, I use the facilities of the sat nav to route via particular points on a map.
i think i can use the gps locator to pinpoint my location on the os map. i want to know where i am on a map that makes sense, not a sat nav scribble of random lines.
But you could do that on a PDA or phone too. With the right software/maps.

I once setup my PDA with a proximity sensor for a turn for a walk in the lake district. I knew where I was going, road to use etc but wanted a warning for the turn-off.
that sounds good, what are the comparable costs of a netbook to a pda?
You could upgrade your phone to a Windows mobile one or Symbian and then get the software.

I have a PDA (in a box) that I used for sat nav starting about 7-8 years ago. But now either use a PND from TomTom or a mobile.

My Windows "mobile" PDA can run MemoryMap software. My Symbian mobile phone can run ViewRanger for maps. The Memory Map software is more intuitive but the Symbian cheap.

For your purposes a UK OS map with major roads would probably suffice.
i like my phone to be a phone. i have a history of destroying mobiles.

any idea on costs of a pda with os maps?
My point about Windows mobile was you could get one that's also a phone these days for similar money.

One that may interest you would be by Road Angel. It has both conventional sat nav and OS maps. Road Angel Adventurer 7000 (Also water proof):

www.memory-map.co.uk/acatalog/adventurer.html

Aimed more at those wanting to use sat nav to get to the walk and then to use for walks.
Looking for a cheap netbook - colinh
"...not a sat nav scribble of random lines..."

Have you tried a sat-nav with the "topo" (which use OS mapping) maps loaded instead of the conventional sat-nav road maps?
i haven't yet. are there any likely to be on demo at halfords or similar?
The one I mention above has both type of maps.
it's a shame it has been discontinued.
Looking for a cheap netbook - SpamCan61 {P}
Is battery life likely to be an issue? The Acers are down at the 2hour mark with standard battery, the Samsung NC10s more like 8, with most of the others available somewhere in between.
Looking for a cheap netbook - Stuartli
See:

crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39029450,49297248-11,00...m

and the rest of the tests.
cheers, i'll have a read later.
Autorun - add a new program? - JH
Can I add Nikon Transfer to the list of options which pops up when I put my camera memory card into the reader? (Knowing you, lot, I'll add "how" :-) ). I've trid to change the action but there is only a drop down list to select from and I can't see how to add to it.

Thanks,
JH