Computer Related Questions-Volume 194 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 195 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 194. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/09/2009 at 11:24

Colour Printer - Martin Devon
Dear team,

I am sure I have done this before, but times and products change and I now need a colour printer. It will have relatively light usage (I think). I need to print mail shots including a picture or two on each A4 sheet. The pictures need to be high quality (mainly small construction works). My biggest concerns are 1. Cost of colour ink and 2. like cheapies we had when offspring was small, the thing drying up through 1-2 weeks without use.

Budget quite tight.

OR should I just pay someone else per print??

All help appreciated.

Regards as usual...................M. in Devon (wet again!!)
Colour Printer - drbe
I bought a Kodak ESP-3 all in one printer a few months ago.

On the whole I am quite pleased with it. It was cheap to buy and the ink cartridges are cheap and easily fitted.

However........ it is quite slow and noisy and see my own question below.

Which? recently tested printers and said for 'all in ones' the Epson PX800FW was best, followed by the Kodak ESP-7. (the ESP-7 note, not the ESP-3)

If you want any more info from the Which? report let me know.
Colour Printer - Stuartli
I have a three-year-old Epson R300 (uses six cartridges) and have always, apart from the first set, used compatible inkjet cartridges with it from www.diskdepot.co.uk (cost is around £4.50 to £5 for a FULL set of cartridges plus delivery; I buy several packs at a time to make the most of the delivery charge).

A full set of genuine Epson cartridges would cost virtually as much as that of the printer itself when new.

The point I'm intending to make, however, is that the R300 is permanently switched on to prevent the cleaning routine that would normally be undertaken each time it's switched on.

It also means the printer is always ready for action and that the cartridges' useful life is considerably longer. Photo printing is first class, although it takes a short while for the R300 to revert to the more mundane task of printing text..:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 02/09/2009 at 11:46

Tesco and some other big supermarkets such as Morrisons regularly have printers on offer at very keen prices:

tinyurl.com/kspug4
Colour Printer - CGNorwich
In terms of economy it is far cheaper to have prints done commercially
Colour Printer - gordonbennet
For quality colour prints you wont go far wrong with a Canon printer, bought ours MP970 (not the cheapest mind) a few months ago after advice here, swmbo a very happy bunny especially after the previous make which was rubbish, and almost reduced her to tears of frustration.
The Canon is proving economical in ink use.
Colour Printer - rtj70
I've said on here before I have Canon. A Pixma iP5000 in my case. It uses ink very economically but I do use proper cartridges - found colour not right on the cheaper compatibles and gave in trying. I don't print that much.

My printer can go for weeks on end without use and never had a problem. It does have a separate print head and 5 ink cartridges (the usual cyan/magenta/yellow and then photo black and a larger pigment black for text).

I guess I find it cheap to run partly because it's a Canon and partly because it uses the pigment black for black text.

It also does duplex printing, prints on CDs/DVDs and does excellent (and fast) photo prints. Also two paper paths (tray and top loading). I am so pleased with this and I've had it for probably 3+ years now.

For photos, Canon let you print out samples for free and get them posted. For other types of documents these printers are pretty high quality.

So I think there will be lots of happy Canon users.

P.S. Mine was one of the last that probably uses simple, clear plastic ink cartridges without any chips or anything. It uses a prism and light to work out when a tank is empty. None of this chip in the cartridge nonsense.
>>None of this chip in the cartridge nonsense.>>

I bought a Canon BJC600e in 1996 for £394 including VAT at Makro - it was probably the top model at the time and used four straightforward ink-jet cartridges. It did pretty well everything a modern printer can achieve and lasted me nine years.

It produced first class photos using compatible cartridges (I also refilled them, although a somewhat messy job).

When the time came to replace it, however, Canon had only just reverted back to using separate cartridges and didn't have a model that would suit me.

So I bought the Epson R300 mentioned earlier, which has performed in similar excellent fashion for three years so far with compatible cartridges.

Edited by Stuartli on 03/09/2009 at 00:27

In terms of economy it is far cheaper to have prints done commercially >>

The A4s I produce would cost considerably more done commercially - might be closer with 6x4s, but still more satisfying to do them yourself.
Colour Printer - perro
Well Senor Devon, I've got a grrrrrrrreat little printer, its a Lexmark Z500 series (517 to be precise)
None of the boffins here would entertain such a lowly device, but it does me.
I can print in 'glorious colour' items such as photo's and (should I tell ya this?) I even make a Birthday card for the missus (haha!) how mean is that!
The price? ... nuffink, it came 'free' with my Mesh computer 4 years ago!
Kodak ESP-3 Printer - drbe
A few months ago I bought a Kodak ESP-3 'all in one' printer.

It has one annoying characteristic. When I turn ithe printer on, Microsoft Word opens! I have obviously checked a box somewhere - but how do I uncheck it?
Kodak ESP-3 Printer - SpamCan61 {P}
The economics of inject vs. laser vs. commercial printers are likely to come down to quantity I would think, are we talking 10 copies / week or 100 or 1000?
The economics of inject vs. laser > quantity I would think are we talking 10 copies / week or 100 or 1000?

>>

Or are you answering the earlier question?
Yes, replies submitted in wrong order, off to the naughty step now...
A few months ago I bought a Kodak ESP-3 'all in one' printer.
It has one annoying characteristic. When I turn ithe printer on Microsoft Word opens! I
have obviously checked a box somewhere - but how do I uncheck it?

Having had a quick look at the printer manual online it sounds like the Kodak 'Home center' software is doing this, but I can't find much detail online. Maybe check the help file for the 'Home Center' software on your PC?
Kodak ESP-3 Printer - scouseford
Kodak software is notoriously intrusive. You'll do well to get rid of future pop-ups and other unwelcome intrusions. I steer clear of anything that looks as though it might be related to Kodak after a very annoying experience on my previous PC.
Kodak ESP-3 Printer - Martin Devon
Thank you all so far. Keep 'em coming.

Regards..............Martin in Devon (Leaving for Tavistock in 5 mins.)
Thanks for the replies. I have had a look at the on-line manual and settings, but no joy.

If I deleted all the software and then re-installed it, I suppose that might make a difference?

I must go, I am rallying in (to) the Isle of Wight in a couple of hours. If I win I will let you know - in a separate thread - of course.
Yes, I'd create a system restore point and then use add/remove programmes to uninstall the 'home center' software, hopefully this will leave the printer's drivers working on the system.
Kodak ESP-3 Printer - mike hannon
Earlier this year, after eight years of reliable, economical service from my Epson 760 I bought a new HP 5380 Photosmart printer/scanner/copier. The results for photo printing are excellent and it scans and copies ok, but the rate of ink use is absolutely frightening. I put a black cartridge in it a couple of weeks ago and it lasted about 10 sheets of text before the 'empty' message came up again. It has five separate cartridges and they are a tenner each! Every time it does a cleaning process the cartridge levels drop by about a quarter. The HP user forum has loads of complaints of a similar nature. Beware!
Kodak ESP-3 Printer - perro
You may find that when you replace the cartridges with "high capacity" equivalents economy will improve.
Very slow going last night 2300-0100 - alfatrike
did anybody else experiance very slow page updates last night?

Was site maintenance being done?

i'd click a thread and get a blank page and the status bar on bottom right would get to about 90-95% and jam for about 10 seconds.

i'm using firefox.

all seems better this morning.
Very slow going last night 2300-0100 - Stuartli
Didn't notice anything untoward.
CRT monitor - colour has gone strange - tyro
CRT monitor (Dell, 2003) switched on this morning and the colours were not as they have been. It hadn't been fiddled about with.

Is this a sign of major problems?
CRT monitor - colour has gone strange - mfarrow
If it looks like it's losing one colour only (say red) then I think it is toast. You could try wriggling the cables, but if they're never usually touched then I don't think this will be the problem.
CRT monitor - colour has gone strange - maz64
If you're happy with CRTs then you might be able to pick one up for free on your local Freecycle website:
www.uk.freecycle.org/
CRT monitor - colour has gone strange - Stuartli
Have you tried degaussing the monitor?

If the monitor VGA cable hasn't been touched for a while, resistance might have built up at the socket(s). Try removing and reinserting the cable connections at both ends.

Edited by Stuartli on 04/09/2009 at 11:32

CRT monitor - colour has gone strange - bell boy
have you tried bashing it to get the fluff out of the spectrum bit at the back of the tube?
worked on tellies years ago

caveat umpar by the way
CRT monitor - colour has gone strange - perro
It sounds like the gun has gorn, take all the innards out, fill it up with water & put cold water fish in it.
Thanks all.

I turned computer and monitor off, disconnected cables and then reconnected, and no improvement.

And it is red that has gone, which makes it look like toast.

Freecycle is out, since my wife insists on buying new, so I've been looking on ebay.

my wife insists on buying new so I've been looking on ebay.

New CRT, or splashing out an a new fangled LCD? :-)

I wouldn't get a new monitor from ebay - have you tried the established online shops such as eBuyer?
www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Monitors
I wouldn't get a new monitor from ebay - have you tried the established online
shops such as eBuyer?

...and even PCWorld etc. sometimes have special offers which end up cheaper than online if you pay the 'web price' and opt to pick it up yourself.
I've never actually owned one of these new-fangled LCD things.

But I hate the display on my laptop (one of these tinyurl.com/nzry7r) - it makes my eyes sore after a while - and have always liked CRT monitors.

Maybe I'm being unfair on LCD monitors, but new CRT monitors are still cheaper.

I have bought a CRT monitor from ebay before, and am completely happy with it.
>>>I've never actually owned one of these new-fangled LCD things.<<<

I would go for an LCD if I were you comrade, my 17" Sharp LCD monitor is quite adequate for most needs.
I also have a widescreen laptop, but I can't get on with that critter at all, at all.
I did plug my puter into the Panasonic 19" widescreen LCDTV to if it was heaps better, but I couldn't really see much improvement, if any.
CRT's give orf the ole electro/mag radiation :(
Re: eBay, I've bought loadsa stuff on there - feedback of over 100 now - never had any probs whatsoever - gotta be careful though, like anything = caveat emptor!
Re: eBay I've bought loadsa stuff on there

I meant for new stuff such as monitors I've found you can usually get better prices from normal online shops.
>>> meant for new stuff such as monitors I've found you can usually get better prices from normal online shops. <<<

I've actually seen used stuff sell for more than the cost of new on eBay!
CRT monitor - colour has gone strange - Stuartli
Refurbished 17in CRT monitor, but from an excellent company:

tinyurl.com/lrfvkl

Another company offering refurbished models from 15in to 21in from various manufacturers:

www.computerdisplays.co.uk/19%20inch.htm

Some of the large screen CRT monitors from Dell and similar are, in fact, re-badged Sony Trinitron/Mitsubishi Diamondtron sets.

I note what was said about Freecycle etc, but new CRTs are fairly rare now.

Edited by Stuartli on 05/09/2009 at 16:38

SD Card problem - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have 2 4gb SD cards. They will both work in my Nikon camera but neither will work in my Canon. I have tried doing a format in my computer and this doesn't change anything and if I format them in the Nikon they won't work in the Canon, obviously. When I try to format them in the Canon the format option is 'greyed' out and the option is not available. Any thoughts please?
SD Card problem - bell boy
4gb is a lot,i prefer 2gb
just a thought
SD Card problem - SpamCan61 {P}
Assuming the 4GB cards are SDHC, are you sure the Canon supports these cards?
BB & SC61 - I think you have hit it! The Canon is 2 years old and the Nikon is a month old and it may be that the older camera can't handle the bigger capacity cards. I am still looking at 300+ on a 2Gb card so it isn't a problem in the long run. Thanks for your input
SD Card problem - SpamCan61 {P}
I think BB's related point is that with a 4Gb card you end up with shed loads of photos on one card, so if you lose it / it dies then that's an awful lot of photos lost in one go - unless you're rigorous about backups.
SD Card problem - Stuartli
Older digital camera models - as with memory card reader/writers - are usually incompatible with more recent SDHC memory cards.

However, this just may help:

www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

General information:

www.integralmemory.com/faq.aspx
Stuartli, I was under the illusion that I am very occasionally helpful on the Forum but you an unrivalled source of help, information and marvellous links to answers to a huge range of questions. Thank you very much - I think there is a common view that a 4gb card probably won't work in a 2+ years old camera, might even be 3! I will try the 2 links you have posted which were totally relevant.
SD Card problem - NowWheels
Armitage, the most likely explanation is that your Canon camera does not support the newer SDHC format -- the older SD format only goes up to 2GB cards.

If you tell us the model of camera you use, it'll be easy enough to give a definitive answer.

I use a 3-yo Canon Ixus compact which supports only SD cards, and I keep a stash of 2GB cards for that device. My Pentax DSLR supports SDHC cards, so I have 4GB cards to use in it ... because the Pentax creates higher res photos, so each set of cards stores a similar number of images.

If you need some new 2GB cards, I can highly recommend 7dayshop.com -- their SD cards are much cheaper than in the shops
>>,,I can highly recommend 7dayshop.com..>>

I strongly second that - first class outlet. Currently also have some amazing clearance and special offers available.
SD Card problem - daveyjp
And if you want to compare on line prices try www.mymemory.co.uk.

I used them of last month after a break of a couple of years and they are still as efficient.
>>and they are still as efficient.>>

MyMemory is another Channel Islands based on-line outlet.
Scanner Repairs - AlastairW
My idiot son has managed to sit on my Dell multifunction printer and in doing so has broken the scanner glass.

As I have just invested in new cartridges for the printer part (and it still works) is there a sensible way to replace the glass? So far I have removed the broken glass and hoovered out any remains. Would a peice of clear polycarbonate or perspex be a good replacement? It doesnt have to be perfect, it would just be handy to have the scanner there for the occasional copying job.

Thanks in advance.
Scanner Repairs - Pugugly
Local glazier should provide you with a pukka bit glass if you ask nicely.
Scanner Repairs - Stuartli
That's an excellent idea (I've had pieces of glass cut to exact sizes for broken windows etc), but I suspect that you will have to ensure that the thickness of the replacement scanner glass is the same as the original.
Scanner Repairs - BB
But did he get a good scan of his bum? Thats what i want to know.......
Scanner Repairs - Stuartli
It was the glass that was cracked...:-)
Scanner Repairs - AlastairW
It wont be just cracked by the time I've finished with him!! I will look into the glass option asap.
Scanner Repairs - Pugugly
Take a bit with you to the glazier. Another option is to get a broken machine one from e-bay or similar
Music downloading - mike hannon
This may seem very obvious but I am new in this field. I have a Mac with iTunes and an ipod Touch.
I know I can download music and sync it onto the ipod but can I just download albums and then burn them onto my own CDs?
Music downloading - Manatee
iTunes will burn audio CDs from MP3s if you want to keep it simple. I occasionally make a CD for the car direct from iTunes because it's easy and quick. You can of course transfer them as mp3s if you wish.

I tend not to buy music from iTunes though, it's either ripped from my own CDs or downloaded from Amazon. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple includes some copy protection or limitation on iTunes downloads - they certainly did originally.

I assume iTunes will write CDs from other music formats as well, but I haven't tried it - I use 256kbps mp3 all the time simply because mp3 is fairly universal.

Edited by Manatee on 13/09/2009 at 19:44

Music downloading - mike hannon
Thank you, I think I am just about keeping up with this.
And thanks to mods for the switch-over - it didn't dawn on me that it was really a computer question until I hit the send button!
So - and sorry to still sound thick but I've never involved myself in all this before - does this mean I can put one of my CDs into the computer and get iTunes or whatever to turn it into an MP3 that I can sync into the ipod? Is that what 'rip' means?
That would be useful...
Music downloading - rtj70
does this mean I can put one of my CDs into the computer and get iTunes or whatever to
turn it into an MP3 that I can sync into the ipod? Is that what 'rip' means?

Yes
Hi Fi speakers - Happy Blue!
I want to attach some Hi Fi speakers to my computer. How do I do this when the speakers have separate red and black sockets, so there will be four large plugs going into a single tiny outlet at the back of the computer?
Hi Fi speakers - Stuartli
You can't just attach hi-fi speakers to a computer - Just not enough power to drive them.

You would need to take the computer's sound card/on-board sound output to an amplifier first and then feed the speakers.

You can buy very respectable computer speakers at a range of prices, including models from Altec Lansing (well known US hi-fi speaker manufacturer and the first to produce the computer equivalents).

Other names include Creative and Logitech. See:

www.scan.co.uk/Index.aspx?NT=1-0-43-328.360.258-0

for a wide choice of 2.1, 4.1 and 5.1 (your on-board sound/sound card would need to support surround sound configuration).

Edited by Stuartli on 14/09/2009 at 10:41

Hi Fi speakers - ifithelps
Linking the computer's headphone socket to the 'aux' socket of a hi-fi amp should work, although purists will say the headphone socket is too small to give a decent quality connection.

I think some desktops may have 'phono' sockets which would be better.

Edited by ifithelps on 14/09/2009 at 11:52

Hi Fi speakers - Stuartli
>>.. to give a decent quality connection.>>

A computer's sound output is never going to rival that of a hi-fi amplifier...

You would, in any case, use the normal speakers output socket (green) and not the headphone socket.

A 3.5mm stereo jack plug to 3.5mm jack plug lead might suffice, otherwise a 3.5mm stereo jack plug to two audio phono leads could be the answer.

See:

tinyurl.com/o47rts

for the types I mean.
Hi Fi speakers - pmh3
>>>although purists will say the headphone socket is too small to give a decent quality connection.<<<

Is it because the big sounds can't get out?

Meet the team behind Computer Related Questions. - Pugugly
www.bbc.co.uk/archive/tomorrowsworld/8008.shtml?al...8
Meet the team behind Computer Related Questions. - NowWheels
www.bbc.co.uk/archive/tomorrowsworld/8008.shtml?al...8

New-fangled gimmick. It'll never catch on, I tell you ...
Odd pop-up - only on this site - Armitage Shanks {p}
Yesterday I installed a new version of Zone alarm; since then I have been getting following pop-up but only on this site.
"Application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\rmac 3620dll is not a valid Windows Image. Check against install diskette". Diskette is a strange word in 2009! There is an option to click OK to make it go away but it is a bit tedious!
Odd pop-up - only on this site - L'escargot
Diskette is a strange word in 2009!

I googled for "diskette" and got 88,800 results.
Odd pop-up - only on this site - jbif
I googled for "diskette" and got 88 800 results. >>

Strange, I got this:
Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 4,060,000 for Diskette (0.17 seconds)
Bing: 1-10 of 5,250,000 results
Yahoo!: - 10 of 13,600,000 for Diskette - 0.46 sec

Edited by jbif on 17/09/2009 at 09:07

Odd pop-up - only on this site - maz64
>> I googled for "diskette" and got 88 800 results. >>
Strange I got this:
Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 4 060 000 for Diskette (0.17 seconds)

4,130,000 'the web'
88,800 'pages from the UK'
Odd pop-up - only on this site - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks gentlemen, the diskette isn't the problem, it is the pop-up! Any ideas on that please?!
pc world laptop needed - audiA6tdi
I have a voucher for pc world for £800. need to buy 2 laptops for around the £400 pound mark.

Can you price match/ haggle on the price and then pay by voucher or is it 'set' and you can only buy goods to the vouchers value? i had the voucher off them after the sony laptop broke i purchased from them 4 years ago.

The laptops I am thinking of are:

Compaq Presario CQ60-430SA £429

Dell 1545 T4200 £429

Any views on these machines or Dell/Compaq in general. Or any other recommended machines?

thanks
pc world laptop needed - Stuartli
i purchased from them 4 years ago.>>

Is the voucher still valid?

You could always haggle over the price of buying one and, if they agree a discount, ask how much if you acquire two - it's something I've done with my best mate when buying nearly new cars from main dealerships.

You can then present them with the voucher and any difference required...:-)
>> i purchased from them 4 years ago.>>
Is the voucher still valid?

yes the voucher was issued mid july and i have up to 8th October this year to use it.

I was thinking of doing that and saying can you do both for £800, but i dare say when i go to the till some jobsworth will inform me that they cant process that!
The laptops are a tad overpriced there anyway compared to other stores and webshops.
>>yes the voucher was issued mid july and i have up to 8th October this year to use it.>>

So it's only four MONTHS old then, rather than four years?
pc world laptop needed - rtj70
You might find you need to use the voucher to buy one laptop for £800 or more. I assume you have the voucher because of one problem laptop.

What does PC World say?

I seem to recall you were actually meant to use the voucher for a particular model that was about to be released in the UK. Has this situation changed? Or is this just to wind us up? :-)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=76...5

And to quote you:

The paper work I have off them, dated July 8th states that only a 'Sony Vaio VGNFW48EH' will be supplied, retail price £799. 'If this model is not available or has been superceeded then the next available model up will be offered'

From the looks of it I think this hasnt yet been released.

Thanks for you help.

Edited by rtj70 on 16/09/2009 at 23:47

i spoke to pc world and they say i can use the voucher on whatever i like. which i am glad to be honest, £800 for one laptop is overkill. The wifes laptop is quite old so i thought about buying 2 £400 laptops.
Congrats on the quick marriage then. You were only talking to her dad in Feb of this year before proposing weren't you.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=72...0

If you hadn't bought a £3000 engagement ring you'd be able to get two decent laptops ;-)

Edited by rtj70 on 17/09/2009 at 00:05

wedding is 6/11/10 in barbados if you would like to come!
she is not offically the wife yet but goes by the name of 'the wife'!
So she's not your wife then ;-) Keep your shirt on. I'll ask X-Type to hold it next time he's around.
wedding is 6/11/10 in barbados if you would like to come!

I'll be checking my diary but would want the offer extending to all the mods ;-) But hurricane season officially doesn't end until 30th November so might give it a miss.
a special place is saved for you
Thanks. You'll be surprised when I turn up ;-) I will announce myself as Mr Smith.
if its Derrick Smith then i will be surprised
No. Paul.

Edited by rtj70 on 17/09/2009 at 00:35

thats alright then.
>>But hurricane season officially doesn't end until 30th November so might give it a miss.>>

One of the offspring, who lives in the Caymans, says that so far the hurricane season has been the quietest known compared to recent years.
Mails not showing in Sent folder - Windows Mail - M.M
For the last week or so I've noticed mails are not showing in the Sent folder after sending. They seem to be getting out OK as I've had replies. The box is ticked in the mail options for copies to go in the folder. The only thing I've noticed is that this started happening the day after an auto Vista update that included an update to Windows Mail ref spam mails... coincidence?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

David
Mails not showing in Sent folder - Windows Mail - Stuartli
Don't know about Windows Mail, but Outlook Express (from Tools>Options>Send tab) can be configured to keep a copy of Sent messages in the Sent folder.

Edited by Stuartli on 19/09/2009 at 15:06

Mails not showing in Sent folder - Windows Mail - maz64
Outlook Express can be configured to
keep a copy of Sent messages in the Sent folder.

I think that's what he meant by "The box is ticked in the mail options for copies to go in the folder".
Browser issues.... - the swiss tony
The problems on this site using IE are well documented, but, is anyone having issues with other browsers?
I use Firefox, and just recently on this site I keep getting a message that a popup window has been stopped.
that I can live with, what I am finding very annoying, is after that message another firefox window opens with some advertising website, OR a webpage stating a 'timeout exception'

its getting to the point that my enjoyment of this website is waning.. as well as worrying about safety issues on these unasked for websites.
Browser issues.... - Altea Ego
IE wont work at all for me on here*. I am using Chrome, and get no popups and its a very quick browser.

*it appears to be the mazda advert using flash.
Browser issues.... - jbif
... its getting to the point that my enjoyment of this website is waning.. >>

Maybe a view shared by others, and a simple indicator of the trend maybe to check the Monday to Friday "posts today" counts. I just block the rogue ad server IP at my firewall.

Edited by jbif on 19/09/2009 at 14:37

Browser issues.... - maz64
The problems on this site using IE are well documented but is anyone having issues
with other browsers?

I almost always use Firefox + Linux and haven't noticed anything odd, but earlier today I happened to visit briefly using Firefox + Windows XP. When I clicked on when of the posts, an additional full screen window opened up, but nothing appeared in it. More worrying, the main window where I was expecting to see the post I had clicked on also stayed blank (it said it was waiting for intellitext IIRC). I gave up waiting after a minute or 2.

Back to Linux now, and no problems.

Edited by Focus {P} on 19/09/2009 at 15:03

Browser issues.... - Stuartli
There is a new version of Firefox - 3.5.3.

www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/

IntelliTXT is an advertisement platform developed by Vibrant Media and is an example of keyword advertising.

Any underscored (often coloured) words bring up an advertisement if the cursor passes over them - can be very irritating on certain websites unless you remember to avoid such words.
IntelliTXT is an advertisement platform .... be very irritating on certain websites >>

Block the irritant at your firewall.

Browser issues.... - maz64
I'm just attempting to highlight the fact that the site appears to work a lot better in Linux. (And I'm not trying to promote Linux - just thought the site maintainers might be interested.) The fact it doesn't appear to work in Windows doesn't really bother me.

IE
www.ie7pro.com/ad-blocker-intellitxt.html
Fiirefox
www.tech-weekly.com/2007/04/browsing-tip-of-day-bl...l

File download doesn't complete - maz64
I've been attempting to download a reasonably large file (Virtual Box for Windows, 68.3Mb) on my Windows XP PC, but although it all appears to go ok ie. the downloaded size reaches the download size, the download doesn't actually complete - Firefox say 'a few seconds remaining'. IE7 and Chrome fail in the same sort of way.

However, no problem downloading the same file using Firefox under Linux on my laptop (same modem/router).

I tried disabling the Comodo firewall/AV, but that didn't seem to make any difference. Any other suggestions?