Computer Related Questions-Volume 192 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 193 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 192. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/09/2009 at 01:37

Screen flicker - from previous volume - ifithelps
Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

I can certainly try the flop test, but I reckon by the time I've plugged in another screen - my only option is the telly - the problem will have gone away, as it tends to after a few seconds.

Had a look at the link to the Lenovo website, but my understanding of drivers and the like is so limited I won't ask anyone on here to explain it to me.

If the problem gets worse, I should at least be able to establish if it's the screen/screen connection and then take it from there.

Screen flicker - from previous volume - maz64
I can certainly try the flop test but I reckon by the time I've plugged
in another screen - my only option is the telly

On the off-chance you wanted to pursue this approach, you might be able to pick up a free second hand CRT monitor from your local freecycle group. (Then you could leave it plugged in, assuming of course you don't actually move around much.)

They used to go pretty quickly in my area (Reading), but I think most people who want one have got one now so they hang around a bit longer.
can't upload photos at home (vol 191) - maz64
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=77...8

Going back to my old 3COM modem/router also appears to have fixed this problem, as well as the general internet problem (next question in thread). Weird.
Can't Import IE Favourites - Robbie
I have just got a new PC running Vista with IE8 and I'm unable to import my favourites.

I have exported them on a USB stick from my laptop - also Vista and IE 8 - but my new pc refuses to import them. After I have gone through the wizard it just says "not a valid bookmark file."

I have also tried from my old pc running XP and IE8, with the same result. I'm puzzled because I exported the bookmarks from my old pc to my laptop without any problems.

Can anyone help, please?

{New question, and therefore moved to the correct place, as per the Please Note request at the start of this thread}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/08/2009 at 19:43

Can't Import IE Favourites - Reentrant
You should be able to copy the contents of c:/users/ /favourites from the old PC to the stick and then from the stick to the same folder on the new PC.
(edit / = backslash, which get stripped)

Don't bother with import - export.

Edited by Reentrant on 13/08/2009 at 16:50

Can't Import IE Favourites - jbif
copy the contents >>

Ditto as per Reentrant. However, if you find that Vista prevents you from directly copying/pasting files to the folder in question, then try this possible alternative solution:

www.technologyquestions.com/technology/internet-ex...l
www.winvistatips.com/ie8-favorites-not-importing-t...l

Edited by jbif on 13/08/2009 at 17:02

Can't Import IE Favourites - Robbie
Brilliant, it worked.

Many thanks for your help.
Can't Import IE Favourites - Reentrant
The path also got mangled - its c:/users/your_username/favorites
How Do I Transfer My Messages? - Robbie
Here's another one.

I have tried to save my messages on my old PC but I have failed. Can I do this without physically sending them by email to my new PC?

Thanks.
How Do I Transfer My Messages? - Stuartli
See:

www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml

Also use the e-mail program's Help pages - Outlook Express for instance, like all MS products, has a comprehensive and well written Help section.
How Do I Transfer My Messages? - crunch_time
like all MS
products has a comprehensive and well written Help section.

I must have been unlucky with my various versions then!

About as useful as the average Haynes manual.

How Do I Transfer My Messages? - Rattle
Robbie what software do you use for your email?
How Do I Transfer My Messages? - Rattle
No they are very well written and concise the problem is 9/10 times it dosn't solve the problem.
>>About as useful as the average Haynes manual.>>

Sorry, but beg to disagree.

The trouble is that most people just don't use Help sections, preferring to let others solve problems for them.

It's the modern age..:-)

How Do I Transfer My Messages? - ifithelps
>>About as useful as the average Haynes manual.>>//Sorry, but beg to disagree.

As a man who needs quite a bit of help with the computer, I'm with Stuart on this one.

Microsoft get a lot of stick for lots of things, but I've always found the help sections, er, helpful.

They can take a bit of ploughing through sometimes, but I've found the info is almost always there, somewhere.

How Do I Transfer My Messages? - Dynamic Dave
Here's another one.

Robbie, when starting a new question, please don't reply to the last post in the thread, but reply to the one right at the start of the thread, otherwise it gets tagged onto the last question rather than being a new question. When I move it to the correct place there is a small risk that your post will end up lost in cyberspace somewhere as the 'move' button I have at my disposal is not the easiest function to use. Cheers, DD.

ps, if you're unsure how a thread grows and the layout of it, if you temp change how you view the thread to "view threaded" then all *should* become clear.
How Do I Transfer My Messages? - JH
Robbie,
Stuartli's help link is correct (as always from Stuart) but the solution is more oriented to backing up (very sensible). What email client are you using? If it's Outlook then you only need to click on File, Export, Messages and off you go. Put them somewhere accessible to both pcs (e.g. USB memory stick) and then repeat the process on the new pc using Import.

You may want to export / import accounts too.

Don't forget to go over to IE and export / import your Favourites. Nothing to do with email but it's easy to forget things when moving to a new pc. Until you need them :-(

JH

I have tried, but not succeeded, to do the export/import but it just puts them elsewhere on my old PC. I was using a USB stick and it wouldn't let me save them to it.

My old PC runs Outlook Express, and my new one Windows Mail.

I did look elsewhere before asking here but to no avail.
See:

tinyurl.com/4t43kc

tinyurl.com/2xfdq4

Thanks for that Stuart. I managed to transfer them although it was very difficult to find the folder on my old PC. It wasn't where Microsoft said it was.
How Do I Transfer My Messages? - rtj70
Next time make sure you specify which folder it uses - you can change it. This advice might also help someone else.
Clearing data - Martin Devon
I use Mozilla firefox. I go to tools, clear private data, but when I next go to the bar at the top again everything still appears. Even if I delete each entry manually it still comes back. I have waded through info, but it is now beginning to chuff me off. Help please!

VBR..................Martin D
Clearing data - fredthefifth
I **think** that in FF its something like clear recent history??
I **think** that in FF its something like clear recent history??

No no. This doesn't work. MD
Clearing data - Stuartli
Try Disabling AutoComplete in Word or other DTP and also in your browser's Internet Options or Security area.

You can also set Keep Browsing History to 0, which will automatically clear any websites visited at the end of the day on Shut Down.

Edited by Stuartli on 15/08/2009 at 21:25

Try Disabling AutoComplete in Word or other DTP and also in your browser's Internet Options or Security area. You can also set Keep Browsing History to 0 which will automatically clear any websites visited at the end of the day on Shut Down.

Have tried it all. Doesn't do the clearance.

MD
Clearing data - jbif
Have tried it all. Doesn't do the clearance. MD >>

MD - you do not say which version fo Firefox you are on, but you could try stopping the future build up of history by using the "in private" feature of firfox3.5.2

As for you current issue, try this (thanks to many other contributors on various firefox forums)
1. In the Location bar, enter about:config
2. Search for the preference browser.urlbar.maxRichResults.
3. Double-click the browser.urlbar.maxRichResults preference and enter a value of -1.
4. Close Firefox.
5. Start Firefox again.

Now when you type in the Location bar, no list of results will be shown.

Edited by jbif on 15/08/2009 at 22:23

Clearing data - jbif
Have tried it all. Doesn't do the clearance. MD >>

Bump - a nudge to MD:
Have you tried the solution I posted at Sat 15 Aug 09 21:20 ?

Edited by jbif on 17/08/2009 at 00:10

Broadband speed, effect of filters - update - nick
Further to my postings in the previous volume about my degraded broadband speed after a lightning stirke, I saw a BT van up the road from me so I had a word with the engineer. He kindly gave me the correct master socket with built-in filters which I have now fitted putting me back in the position I was before when I had 2Mbps. Unfortunately no difference in speed, still only 1.5 Mbps so I can only assume the lightning has caused some degradation somewhere between me and the exchange that isn't serious enough to show as a fault but does slow the connection somewhat. I guess I'll have to lump it.

Broadband speed, effect of filters - update - JH
Nick
I think you're right and something else along the way has been damaged.

If you report a slow broadband speed you're not likely to get much attention. I guess you're the expert on the subject just at the moment! But if you report a noisy voice line you should get attention, according to rumour. Might be worth a shot. It's good to hear that the BT engineer was helpful

JH
Broadband speed, effect of filters - update - Stuartli
If you have a BT line (not one supplied via an ISP's LLU), if you dial 17070 and choose Option Two, you can test for a Quiet Line.
Broadband speed, effect of filters - update - Martin Devon
Further to my postings in the previous volume about my degraded broadband speed after a lightning stirke I saw a BT van up the road from me so I had a word with the engineer. He kindly gave me the correct master socket with built-in filters which I have now fitted putting me back in the position I was before when I had 2Mbps.

So.......he 'gave' you the socket did he? Good chap. I'll just go and check on my share price.

Only teasing.........MD.

Broadband speed, effect of filters - update - ifithelps
....he 'gave' you the socket did he? Good chap. I'll just go and check on my share price...

In the early 1980s I had some minor telephone extension work done on an office in London.

Engineer turns up unannounced and tells me I can either leave the order with BT and wait four to six weeks, or cancel it and he will come round that very afternoon and do it for cash.

A bit of research revealed most engineers worked mornings for BT and afternoons for themselves - using BT equipment and parts, of course.

Broadband speed, effect of filters - update - nick
>>So.......he 'gave' you the socket did he? Good chap. I'll just go and check on my share price.

Only teasing.........MD.

In a way he's saved BT some money. My next step was to get on to them to put me back into the position I was before the problems occurred. So really, he's saved a visit from an engineer as I did the work for them. Perhaps I should send BT an invoice for my time!
Broadband speed, effect of filters - update - Pugugly
Just had one of these BT accelerators added 25% to my broadband speed - brilliant.
Google photographs - bell boy
Where do these come from and how can you put yours on.?
Google photographs - JH
bb, if you find out let me know please, I've spent ages trying to upload some of mine. :-(

JH
drives disappearing from mac - the update - mike hannon
Just a line in case anyone needs this in future. To update my previous question about the mystery disappearance of the combo and superdrives from the toolbar of my Mac G4, as reported in volume 191.
My friend the Mac expert returned from his course in the UK and sorted it out in five minutes by following instructions in 'help' to update the PRAM, whatever that is. He held down four different keys while I operated the 'on' switch and let it re-boot twice - and it started up with everything back in place.
drives disappearing from mac - the update - mike hannon
Oops, sorry, that should be reset NVRAM.
How Much For MY Old PC? - Robbie
I have just done a clean install of XP on my old PC in order to sell it. It's a Dell Inspiron just over three years old with 19" flat panel monitor. Spec as follows:

Intel Pentium 4, 3.96Ghz processor; 1 gb RAM; 160gb hard drive; 1 ROM CD/DVD Drive; 1 LG DVD/CD RW drive.

I'm also going to include my HP Scan Jet scanner as it is not compatible with my new 64 bit Vista PC.

What is a reasonable price to ask?
How Much For MY Old PC? - CGNorwich
About £75 if you are lucky. Everyone wants a laptop these days.
How Much For MY Old PC? - jbif
What is a reasonable price to ask? >>

If you can legally sell it with the XP on it, then maybe £30 t0 £50? Possibly worth more selling it in parts on ebay?

This was £150 brand new today at Sainsbury's:
Intel Pentium Dual-Core Process E2180, Vista Home Premium, free upgrade to Windows7, 250GB hard disk, 2GB RAM and Hanns-g 19" widescreen LCD-TFT monitor.

Edited by jbif on 16/08/2009 at 20:58

How Much For MY Old PC? - Stuartli
Such systems are really only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it; they are never as valuable as you believe yourself as the technology advances at such a rapid pace whilst prices continue to fall.
How Much For MY Old PC? - rtj70
As others have said, value of this system will be low. Intel never did make a Pentium 4 that run at that speed either. Typo?

How much do you hope it is worth?
How Much For MY Old PC? - crunch_time
You could find out without paying a fee by using ebid.

How Much For MY Old PC? - Martin Devon
£0.00

MD.
How Much For MY Old PC? - maz64
I would have thought the 19" LCD would make it worth more than £75 - if you're in no hurry try putting it on a free site such as Adtrader for say £100 and see if you get any takers.
I would have thought the 19" LCD would make it worth more than £75 -
if you're in no hurry try putting it on a free site such as Adtrader
for say £100 and see if you get any takers.

I'm in no particular hurry to sell just curious about what to ask. As you say, I would think the monitor itself is worth something.
As others have said value of this system will be low. Intel never did make
a Pentium 4 that run at that speed either. Typo?

No, I was quoting from the details about my PC on System.
BTW install the latest version of OpenOffice and state in your advert that it comes with latest office software (quote blurb from OpenOffice website). Also install a good free anti-virus (Avast, Comodo, whatever). It helped me sell my old PC.

Edited by Focus {P} on 17/08/2009 at 11:21

state in your advert that it comes with latest office software

(sorry - forgot to include the word 'suite' which always sounds good)
The fastest Pentium 4 made ran at 3.8GHz. Well it did when it was not overheating. More common was the 3.6GHz version. There was a faster one, the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition the fastest version of that was 3.73GHz.

Maybe your system is overclocked? But you did mention it was a Dell so not likely be an extreme gaming machine.

As for value? Very little for a three year old PC. I could buy a brand new 19" LCD for about £80. And that's either widescreen or 4:3 aspect ratio LCD. So a three year old LCD won't be worth £75.

No harm sticking an advert up for it and keeping fingers crossed.

Edited by rtj70 on 17/08/2009 at 12:23

How Much For MY Old PC? - Altea Ego
My main PC is actually a pentium 4 EE 3.73. Its a warm (make that HOT*) beast for sure, and is power hungry, but has been reliable to date (It was a second hand cpu when i got it two years ago) and to be fair has not overly struggled with any workload thrown at it.

Its days are numbered tho, it wil be replaced soon.

* It shut down during the hot spell earlier this year. Had to take it apart, clean out the fan and heat sink fins, and clean off and renew the thermal paste. One of the piins on the CPU is darker than the others so has clearly been heat stressed, but it soldiers on.

I think its because its an EE. They were carefull chosen as best of the wafers, so I suspect would be more reliable anyway.

If you can legally sell it with the XP on it then maybe £30 t0
£50?

Why shouldn't I be able to sell it legally? I have merely formatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP using the disc that came with it.
reinstalled XP using the disc that came with it.

XP on disc definitely ups the value.
How Much For MY Old PC? - Rattle
I think there is a demand for desktops right now. They are hard to get and businsses and older people still prefer them. In fact I am now going to start building my own for clients as ready made ones are now so expensive. I would fit decent RAM, PSUs etc.

I think from experience you might get £100 for it. I recently bought a customers PC off him with the following specs due to a faulty HD (he wanted a new anyway) AMD 3800 X2, 2GB RAM, FSP PSU (I fitted to replace original Acer one), motherboard, DVD RW etc. I gave him £70 for it and it wasn't even working. I used the parts to make a new system for my parents.

The problem with your PC is the P4 was a pretty horrible processor, it always ran too hot and always seems to slow compared to what AMD were making at that time.
How Much For MY Old PC? - SpamCan61 {P}
I think there is a demand for desktops right now. They are hard to get
and businsses and older people still prefer them. In fact I am now going to
start building my own for clients as ready made ones are now so expensive. I
would fit decent RAM PSUs etc.

>>

Depends what you mean by expensive I suppose, eBuyer generally have a 'basic' desktop system with no OS for around 200 quid ( see link). I'm sure trawling the Dell outlet there will be similar systems for not much more. Not as good value as the Sainsbury's system mentioned earlier, be interesting to know whether that was a local clearance or a nationwide offer.

www.ebuyer.com/product/168998
eBuyer generally have a 'basic' desktop system
with no OS for around 200 quid ( see link).

Excellent value, but even assuming you can get hold of an OS cheaply you've still got to find a display. If you've only got £100, the OP can provide you with a full system including a 19" LCD and a legal XP installation disc. Not a great gaming system, but fine for surfing/email etc.

Actually I'd try £120.

BTW presumably PC only has on-board graphics?

EDIT: just remembered it's a Dell - the name should also help.

Edited by Focus {P} on 18/08/2009 at 11:11

>> eBuyer generally have a 'basic' desktop system
>> with no OS for around 200 quid ( see link).
Excellent value but even assuming you can get hold of an OS cheaply you've still
got to find a display. If you've only got £100 the OP can provide you
with a full system including a 19" LCD and a legal XP installation disc. Not
a great gaming system but fine for surfing/email etc.

A fair point, I was really reponding to Rattle's comments on bespoke PC building rather than the OP's pricing query, which I didn't make clear.

Funnily enough I'm trying to work out investment options at spamcan towers, my main 'workhorse' PC ( 3GHz P4 desktop) has suffered a second motherboard fatality in 5 years, and I'm unsure whether to replace the mobo.; buy a S/H PC like the OP's ( although I don't need a monitor) or just go to eBuyer / Dell and get a brand spanking new base unit. Given current prices I suspect the latter option is the only one that makes sense really.
I was really reponding to Rattle's comments on bespoke PC building rather
than the OP's pricing query which I didn't make clear.

Apologies - I'd overlooked that bit of the thread.
>>has suffered a second motherboard fatality in 5 years>>

As already mentioned, the Intel Pentium 4s were noted for high temperatures and not all that great a performance.
But it's the motherboard that's died - but they can get hot and were not competitive with Athlon 64.

I did get an Intel P4 3.6GHz system using the government backed scheme which got you cheap PCs via salary swap. Quite a good system considering the price and it came with full onsite warranty for 3 years ;-) I'd have built an Athlon 64 system though but not for this price.
and businsses and older people still prefer them.

Hard to get? simply log onto dell and you wil get one to your door. Or lenovo, or a trip to PC world.
start building my own for clients as ready made ones are now so expensive. I
would fit decent RAM PSUs etc.

The cheapest dell starts at £159 INCLUDING Vista XP. (ex vat) You cant build them that cheap even if you take your labour time out of it.

The only way to make any money on systems you build for others is to go upmarket and specify and build bespoke systems that cost over £1k

For example I am shortly going to build for a client (when Windows 7 is out) an Intel I7 920
(overclocked) A Geforce GTX 285 video card, Spectacular polished silver mirror case (silent) and a 120gb SOLID STATE hard drive (c) and a 1TB drive (d)

For all this time (specify, build, load windows 7, update, overclock testing, and delivery) I will make about 100 quid. Its more a hobby than a business.

The cheapest dell starts at £159 INCLUDING Vista XP. (ex vat)

Please could you provide a link?
>> The cheapest dell starts at £159 INCLUDING Vista XP. (ex vat)
Please could you provide a link?

>>

www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/business/Desktops/vostrod...1
Ae, the i5 is out soon (so only dual channel memory) but might be worth looking at the price point they arrive at. Also means memory can be added in pairs. Most won't miss the bandwidth of the third channel on the i7. Motherboards will also be cheaper ;-) More margin?
Possibly.

But for one of my clients the I5 will be two less than the I7. Its a "my amp goes up to 11" thing

who am i to argue! ;)
But you're proposing the low end i7 920 and overclocking it. You might get an i5 that overclocks better (only dual channel) and starts at a higher clock too. Who knows until they are really out.

Those Dell "business" PCs would be fine for most people wouldn't they at that price! Not good for gaming unless you change the graphic card etc.
well you know what its like rtj70. there is never the "right time" to jump in and finalise a bleeding edge high end build. It quickly becomes the wrong time. If you wait for whats coming you never end up building.

At the end of the day, you choose a date, then you check and see whats the best availble components that can be shipped to you that week and you go with it.
If you wait for whats coming you never end up building.>>

Or, indeed, buying ready built.

Out of date before they are even on the shelves...:-)
Those Dell "business" PCs would be fine for most people wouldn't they at that price!
Not good for gaming unless you change the graphic card etc.

Yes, I think we're now beyond the point where the performance of even the most basic low end PC will do pretty much anything a non-gaming user is likely to want that pretty much anything will do the job - OK maybe systems with 1GB of RAM might struggle with Vista, but DDR2 memory is <10 quid per gig. My youngest daughter's Dell 4400 ( 1.7 GHz P4 1 GB of RAM) copes fine with its diet of facebook / napster / iplayer.

For a new basic system it looks like a pretty close call between the eBuyer system + OS versus the Dell Vostro, including VAT and delivery plus some 3rd party RAM.
For a new basic system it looks like a pretty close call between the eBuyer
system + OS versus the Dell Vostro including VAT and delivery plus some 3rd party
RAM.

Personally I'd go with the eBuyer system - more easily upgradeable, as don't Dell use their own motherboards?
SQ
Personally I'd go with the eBuyer system - more easily upgradeable as don't Dell use their own motherboards?

Yes, I think so, certainly when the proceesor fan died in the aforementioned 4400 the BIOS recognised that I'd changed the fan type and wouldn't let Windows boot! In the end I had to leave the dead fan in circuit and connect my cheapo one from Maplin in parallel.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/08/2009 at 15:12

On the whole, for the cheaper ranges most of the makers use generic motherboards but with modified BIOS's

Your fan issue could be that you didnt replace your dead fan with one that had a speed sensor. This is a failry common scenario even with branded motherboards the home builder can buy (but mostly with these you can turn the speed check off in bios)
How Much For MY Old PC? - Rattle
I had a client that wanted a Dual Core system to last around ten years. He had a budget of £300 and it had to be brand new. It should be an easy task but he also wanted it tomorrow. Of all places I had to get ripped of at Argos. Comet used to do some very good deals on ready built desktops but not any longer.

The problem is ready built systems are pain when you need to upgrade. A had a client who was sold a gaming machanic at a well known PC store and it had built in graphics despite its quad cure. To make matters worse the PSU was 300 wattts, 10 amps on one rail and 8 on the other or something like that.

I had to replace the power supply to a Corsair unit which cost me £45.00 when the existing one was perfectly ok and was only two months told.
I had a client that wanted a Dual Core system to last around ten years.
He had a budget of £300 and it had to be brand new. >>

Personally I think 10 years as totally unrealistic in terms component lifetime, nevermind SW support! 300 quid is taking the mickey!
I had to replace the power supply to a Corsair unit which cost me £45.00
when the existing one was perfectly ok and was only two months told.

I'd have thought as a supplier you'd take the price you pay and add a % markup to the end client, so isn't it better for you if the parts are mroe expensive, or is my understanding of the business model here wrong?

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 18/08/2009 at 14:26

Here's a pic of my PC and scanner. I've advertised it, with all discs, for £120.

i177.photobucket.com/albums/w231/Robbie34_photo/IM...g
Very similar in appearance, especially the case, to a Mesh system I bought on behalf of an elderly friend in late 2004.

I'm sure someone will be perfectly happy to spend £120 or a bit less for it for surfing, e-mailing etc, especially with the scanner included.
The base unit appears identical to SWMBO's Dell Dimension 5150 I bought 4 years ago, a 3.2 GHz P4 which runs very quietly, a nice machine. I've not poked about inside it much ( breaking SWMBO's internet shopping machine would not be good) IIRC it's a BTX motherboard, which is relatively rare I believe.
it's a BTX motherboard, which is relatively rare I believe. >>

Yes, it was Intel's specification for its follow up to the ATX form factor, but never seemed to find a lot of favour.

www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1763/

www.btxformfactor.com/

Example of BTX motherboard:

tekgems.com/Products/et-29236-mbb-d955xcs.htm

Sold it to the first person who called.

I let him have it for £110 as he was a fireman at Liverpool Airport.
Good for you. A happy outcome all round.
How Much For MY Old PC? - alfatrike
same here, could have been easier to take it to the tip. another of these wonderful 'lectrik numbur box fingys lives on.
hear hear! last time I was down Christchurch tip there was a vast pile of desktop PC cases, including what appeared to be a cosmetically perfect iMac G3. I was sorely tempted to take it home and stick the internals of a PC in it. :-)
Website query re new posts - scouseford
Up until about a week ago, when I logged on to this page of this website the list of threads that were at the head of the queue had the word 'new' in bright red font to indicate posts that I had not opened - an excellent facility. This has ceased to function for me and I wonder if the website is no longer carrying this facility or have I inadvertently altered a setting that has de-activated it. Could it be anything to do with me installing an advert pop up blocker around about the time that the 'New' post facility disappeared.

I have a Dell desktop running Windows XP Home with SP 1, 2 and 3.

Advice would be appreciated.
Website query re new posts - alfatrike
the function is still working for me. mabey it's your gremlins come in from the workshop to warm up and have a sleep.
Website query re new posts - JH
s,
the cookie has probably been deleted or turned up it's toes. Login again and all should be well. Check you're not clearing cookies, eg with CCleaner.

JH
Website query re new posts - colinh
Same thing is happening with my Dell desktop - have to log-in every time I visit this site, even though "remember log-in" is checked. Although, noting that I've receive four automatic updates from Microsoft this past week, I'm surprised anything is working!
Website query re new posts - scouseford
Astonishingly, about an hour after my original post, HEY PRESTO, things were back to normal. I left it overnight before posting in case things went awry after switching off last night but all is now well in that department.
Website query re new posts - JH
scouse, it's called "computers". There's an adjective goes in front of that but the site has a swear filter :-)

JH
Website query re new posts - Dynamic Dave
Astonishingly about an hour after my original post HEY PRESTO things were back to normal.

That's because the cookie was restored when you logged in and posted. I suspect something either corrupted or deleted the previous cookie during a previous log in session.
Website query re new posts - jbif
I suspect something either corrupted or deleted the previous cookie during a previous log in session >>

Possible that his cookies/history are set to be deleted automatically every week.
Vista - where's the sound gone? - JH
Wife used pc last night, swears it made the bingly bong Windows start up sound, tried to play a Mr Darcy DVD and - no sound. It would play music from the disk, she says, but silence from the DVD. She booted the pc assuming it was just playing up and after rebooting - no sound from anything. :-(

The sound card and speakers are ok. The pc is dual boot and all works from XP (cue the Vista critics club!). Unfortunately booting XP wipes the system restore points :-(

I've tried everyhtng I can think of. PC seems to think sound card is present and correct. I've reinstalled the drivers. I'm currently attempting to download the latest drivers from Creative but their servers seem to be connected to wet string. I've found a recent "fix sound on Vista" from MSoft, that didn't fix it. The only recent update showing in the log shows as being for Defender. Can't be that?

Any ideas? Buy a new pc is creeping into my mind given the other little tricks this thing gets up to.

Thanks,
JH

Vista - where's the sound gone? - bell boy
my xp has lost its sound too today
it updated some microsoft files and the latest opera 10
ive tried everything like you including uninstalling the sound card but it comes back as working once rebooted when clearly it isnt

also lost in no music
bb, while that was of no practical help I appreciate the thought that I'm not alone! :-)

My round, do you want crisps?

Now what's your worst computer story? Or maybe we could devise evil ways of destroying the darned things? Driver download is now at 92Mb out of 157... I think I'll pass some time looking at the Dell web site!

JH
Vista - where's the sound gone? - bell boy
i use microsoft at work to ease printing issues
but use linux at home and i removed mozilla the oother night for a whim and now it wont reinstall
cheese and onion please
Vista - where's the sound gone? - Altea Ego
remove the device from the device manager, delete the drivers, then reboot and let the system find and reinstall the hardware and drivers.

Thanks AE, I think I'll save that fun for tomorrow. Driver download is now at 130Mb out of 157. :-(

JH
Vista - where's the sound gone? - rtj70
157Mb... so that should take about 3 minutes then? I'd hope to get it in 1.5 minutes though.
yes it should but Creative seem to have their server conected to wet string. I may have to wait for the rainy season.

Actually AE's suggestion has worked (thanks AE!!) in that I have sound but DVDs still don't. Now tinkering with Codecs. Bah!

JH
I've installed VLC and DVDs now have sound. It may be a hammer to crack a nut but I'm sorely tempted to use the hammer on something else (he said glaring at the black box by his knee).

That's more than enough for one night! Thanks again AE, and thanks to BB for moral support. Cheese 'n Onion wasn't it?

JH