01 1600 Difficulty starting / fuel filler cap? (pe - Goodie
For some time now I have had intermittent problems starting this vehicle. The engine cranks over and over but without firing. Often several stabs of the throttle to the floor will eventually get it going & so far it has always started in the end. Thinking this might be fuel related, I undid the fuel filler cap the other day and heard a quite forceful rush of air following which the car started immediately. Since then I have got in to the habit of undoing the filler cap after journeys and find that even after a short 5 mile journey I can hear this rush of air. Should this happen? Should the filler cap be vented and might it be blocked ? Once started the car runs very well.

Thanks
01 1600 Difficulty starting / fuel filler cap? (pe - Altea Ego
Badly vented filler cap issues (ie a vacuum) usually happen after a period of sustained running. Overnight the vacuum disipates so starting in the morning is usually ok.

Most closed fuel ventilation systems (which yours has) can make an "air" noise when undoing the filler cap.

Your starting problem is probably the crank sensor. A common issue on renault petrol engines, and easily and cheaply fixed.