08 1.6 Engine characteristic sir! - Dodge49
I?ve only had this petrol leon for 4 weeks and unfortunately when the car is idling it splutters and feels like it is about to stall. This also causes the headlights and dashboard lighting to flicker. At the dealership the head SEAT technician said he has seen a few like this and it is a characteristic of the engine and he does not know how to solve the issue. The car idles at 600 to 650 rpm and he believes this is the problem which he has mentioned to SEAT with no comeback.

Surely this cannot be right, how can such a new car behave like this and it be considered acceptable or am I being fobbed off? I have saved up for this car and feel gutted. Does anyone have any suggestions or own a 1.6 SEAT. Thanks.
08 1.6 Engine characteristic sir! - jayeastanglia
you are being fobbed off..they shouldnt do that at all..that seat engine is usually very smooth running...take it back and demand it is either fixed or refund or another car of simlar model and spec..
Thanks J. I will do that tomorrow. I did try to challenge the mechanic but he showed me another petrol 1.6 for sale that was doing the same. I did tell him I was going on this site for some help and I would be back.

A few years ago the lights on my wife's petrol focus flickered in a similar way, this was fixed with new spark plugs.
08 1.6 Engine characteristic sir! - Tornadorot
That sounds like too low an idle speed - my 1.6 A3 idles just under the 1000rpm mark (maybe 900-950, something like that) when hot. Is it the MPI or FSI engine? Not sure if the FSI would be markedly different.
I'm not sure which engine it is. I think it is the older 1.6 VW engine but this conflicts with the car by car reviews on this site which says the 1.6 and 2.0 engines in the Leon are the FSI engines. It is booked in at a different SEAT garage but same company on Monday 17th. When I spoke to the salesman he said it sounded like a fault and they were usually smooth running engines but the service department were less reluctant to comment.
08 1.6 Engine characteristic sir! - EoinM
A bit late but only noticed this now. I have the same car and it idles higher than that, maybe about 750-800 rpm. It's closer to 1000 with the air con on.

Hope you got it sorted in the end