What's the work situation like for drivers? - a900ss
Guys,

Recently laid off as an Account Manager and currently looking for similar work but it is really slow out there.

I have a Class I HGV licence but I probably haven?t driven for about 4 to 5 years (was driving constantly for about 4 to 5 years before that though). What is the temp/agency market like out there? I?m considering registering with a couple of driving agencies just to see me through. Ideally I would not want Class I work; I?d rather stick to a rigid. I hear that driving work has also really slowed down recently with many drivers out of work.

Bearing in mind my length of time out of the driving seat (I know I?d need to get a digital tacho card), any ideas if there is much work out there at all?

If it makes any difference I am in the Gloucester/Bristol/Swindon triangle.

I intend on calling a few agencies tomorrow but would like your thoughts as well.

Thanks
What's the work situation like for drivers? - gordonbennet
It's dire at the moment, but worth a punt all the same, and you are in quite a good area, might be worth contacting some of the bigger local RDC's yourself to see if they will direct hire, if not they may well tell you who they're main agencies are.
Not all agencies are good, and i'm not up to speed on them.....yet fingers crossed..;)

Strike now whilst they need holiday relief drivers, you may find something you can slip into semi permanently.

Don't underestimate yourself about class 1 work and i wouldn't let any of the agencies know that you'd rather not drive class 1....there may be nothing else around.

You'll be fine, the changes in the job are that you will probably be driving class 1 with automatic gearboxes, dreadful things most of them IMO, but very easy.
And yes, get your digicard on order pronto.

I wouldn't worry too much about your time out, if you've got years behind your belt you'll find you are far more attractive than a novice youngster.

Funny i was having this conversation with a mate from the South West only last week, HGV driving is one of the few jobs where you get more employable as you get older, and to be blunt many youngsters can't hack it.

The very best of British luck.

EDIT...if you get an offer of permanent before Christmas take it, things will crash again after.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/08/2009 at 17:09

What's the work situation like for drivers? - jaffa
Do you speak any eastern european languages, it might help. I say that with tongue in cheek. Good luck with your search
What's the work situation like for drivers? - Martin Devon
Do you speak any eastern european languages it might help. I say that with tongue
in cheek. Good luck with your search

NO. That's left to the 'bilders' (sic). European 'Union' pah!

Yours..............pink fluffy dice ........MD

Edited by Webmaster on 10/08/2009 at 14:12

What's the work situation like for drivers? - pda
I have to agree with GB and everything he said in his reply to you.

BUT, it's worth a try and don't underestimate yourself!

You can do it, you have done it, and nothing much has changed really.

NDC's you could try ringing direct in your area are
Aldi Swindon
Morrisons Swindon
Iceland Swindon
Creed Catering Staverton
3663 Abingdon ( rigids)
Savona Kidlington
Sainsbury Bristol
Morrisons Yate
Brakes at Bristol
Tesco and Aldi at Magor if you have your passport!

All of these are worth a try for holiday relief.
Robert Wiseman dairies are also always wanting rigid and artic drivers if you can do early starts.

Hope this helps!

Pat

Edited by pda on 02/08/2009 at 19:30

What's the work situation like for drivers? - gordonbennet
Good helpful post Pat, that'll give a900ss's phone a good run out Monday..;)
What's the work situation like for drivers? - a900ss
Thanks for your comments guys. I'll make a few enquires and if positive, apply for my digi tacho.